Gibson Brands Forums

The “New” 1942 Banner LG-2 . . . Anybody

BurstOrBust

. . . play one or seen one in person?  I’ve watched the various YouTube videos, but having previously owned a ‘45 Banner LG-2 in the past, I’m curious to hear some reviews or opinions on this newish Custom Shop model.   Particularly wondering if the necks are as large as the original “baseball bat” necks.

39 minutes ago, cunningham26 said:

the SJ looks sweet, probably the closest ill come to the real deal

Of all the vintage re-issues, the rosewood SJ seems to be the one in short supply. None of the online dealers seems to have one right now, after perusing their websites.  Wildwood has three of the 1936 AJ models, one with a stunning back that looks more like Madagascar or Brazilian than Indian rosewood.

I need another guitar like I need a hole in my head. I wish Gibson and Martin would stop building such beautiful re-issues when I am trying to retire. (I know that means more time to play, but it also means less money to play with.)

3 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Of all the vintage re-issues, the rosewood SJ seems to be the one in short supply. None of the online dealers seems to have one right now, after perusing their websites.  Wildwood has three of the 1936 AJ models, one with a stunning back that looks more like Madagascar or Brazilian than Indian rosewood.

I need another guitar like I need a hole in my head. I wish Gibson and Martin would stop building such beautiful re-issues when I am trying to retire. (I know that means more time to play, but it also means less money to play with.)

That is why you just say F-it and get it while you are still employed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, j45nick said:

You will like it!  The only thing I’ve done with it is swap out the tuners. 

I looked at the neck specs for the '42 Banner LG2 on Music Zoo and they were listed as a 1.693" nut and a .900" depth at the 1st fret and 1.00" at the 9th.  So not near as beefy as what would expect to find on a Banner.  Bozeman, like the others, has their own ideas as to not only what sounds best but what is "used friendly" when it comes to nut widths, neck carves and such. 

24 minutes ago, j45nick said:

It has always been my understanding that most (although not all) of the AJs, Smeck Radio Grandes and such were built using Indian Rosewood which is also what Regal and the Chicago builders used.

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

It has always been my understanding that most (although not all) of the AJs, Smeck Radio Grandes and such were built using Indian Rosewood which is also what Regal and the Chicago builders used.

We're talking about a modern a re-issue, so there is little ambiguity which rosewood is being used.

I looked at the neck specs for the '42 Banner LG2 on Music Zoo and they were listed as a 1.693" nut and a .900" depth at the 1st fret and 1.00" at the 9th.  So not near as beefy as what would expect to find on a Banner.  Bozeman, like the others, has their own ideas as to not only what sounds best but what is "used friendly" when it comes to nut widths, neck carves and such. 

Good sleuthing! I love that the specs that are on what is widely considered the greatest Gibson acoustics aren't exactly what they deem as marketable these days!

Now that's what I'm talking about.  Thanks for sharing this.  Can compare to other guitars that I own, and yes, it is (significantly) less "bulky" than the original Banner LG-2s that I've played.  Again, I sold mine because, over the years, the neck ended up being too bulky for me.  Maybe these modern reissues will actually work . . . . .

The  42 SJ I purchased took a little getting used to neck wise.  But now that I am/have I really like it.   I have not made a single adjustment, and I'm glad I let myself adjust to the guitar instead.   *I have made it shine though.

17 minutes ago, Hall said:

The  42 SJ I purchased took a little getting used to neck wise.  But now that I am/have I really like it.   I have not made a single adjustment, and I'm glad I let myself adjust to the guitar instead.   *I have made it shine though.

Was this an original 1942, or a modern re-issue?

23 minutes ago, BurstOrBust said:

Now that's what I'm talking about.  Thanks for sharing this.  Can compare to other guitars that I own, and yes, it is (significantly) less "bulky" than the original Banner LG-2s that I've played.  Again, I sold mine because, over the years, the neck ended up being too bulky for me.  Maybe these modern reissues will actually work . . . . .

The neck specs will vary a bit.  If you look at say the Wildwood site when they have more than one of the same model it would be hard to find two with identical neck carves which is the end result of hand sanding.   Kind of a throwback to the day when a part was considered finished when it looked "close enough."  The neck carve of the '42 LG2 though brings to mind those of the later-1940s and 1950s. 

3 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I just looked at the Music Zoo website, and could not locate the 1942 Banner LG2 Custom reissue.  Might you have the url?

4 minutes ago, Dave F said:

So much for my browsing skills.  Thanks Dave!

BTW, newish to this forum . . . how do you give (and receive) reputation points?  I thought that there may be a "Like" button to press, but I can't seem to find it.  User error, I'm sure.

Edited by BurstOrBust

10 minutes ago, sbpark said:

For the price of admission I'd be looking at a Waterloo (and used for an even better deal) and save over a grand. But if that's what you really want and money isn't an issue, go for it!

Are we allowed to mention "Waterloo" in this forum? 😆

Actually, I am familiar with Waterloo and it's top-shelf cousin, Collings.  I have owned Collings in the past, and currently have a Parlor 1 AT that I need to sell because the neck is too slim for my tastes.  Will look at the Waterloo's slope shoulder small-body option (WL-12, WL-14), but if the neck is too slim (like the Collings were), then it's a no-go.

Edited by BurstOrBust

21 minutes ago, BurstOrBust said:

Actually, I am familiar with Waterloo and it's top-shelf cousin, Collings.  I have owned Collings in the past, and currently have a Parlor 1 AT that I need to sell because the neck is too slim for my tastes.  Will look at the Waterloo's slope shoulder small-body option (WL-12, WL-14), but if the neck is too slim (like the Collings were), then it's a no-go.

Crap, you're right. I guess we should have asked Sgt. Pepper first! My bad. 

I've never owned a Collings, but have had a few Waterloos. Nuts are 1 3/4" and depending in the model have pretty substantial necks. Of course they aren't going to sound exactly like an old LG-2, and they do have a different neck joint as well in comparison. Just food for thought to add to the list to check out. 

22 minutes ago, BurstOrBust said:

I think this forum has many members with multiple brands of guitars (me included) but the majority of members try to keep the topic on the house brand and this forum topic which is Gibson Acoustic. There is the Gibson Lounge which is wide open by design and everything is game over there and I like it over there too.  But with any forum you always have a few who feel it is their born destiny to be the agitator and always bring up other brands. I guess they can’t get their ya yas in the Lounge so they come here to stir things up. Luckily they have an ignore member setting where you can block their comments and you only see them when someone quotes them. 

14 minutes ago, sbpark said:

Crap, you're right. I guess we should have asked Sgt. Pepper first! My bad. 

I've never owned a Collings, but have had a few Waterloos. Nuts are 1 3/4" and depending in the model have pretty substantial necks. Of course they aren't going to sound exactly like an old LG-2, and they do have a different neck joint as well in comparison. Just food for thought to add to the list to check out. 

Ha!  

In terms of Gibson's LG-2 remake, rightfully or not, I'm enamored with the adi top.  The Waterloo WL-12 would be my style, but I'm just not sure about the maple back and sides and the stika top.  Of course, like you said, it's thousands less.