Gibson Brands Forums

Question for Hogeye re J-45 rosewood

PRSCRUGGS

Hello,  brand new here but have been collecting guitars for years.    I have been liquidating and am down to acoustics.   I have a 1995 J-45 rosewood in mint condition.  ser#9319500x  I've been trying to price it debating if I really want to sell it and am comming up kind of empty,   I saw a post Hogeye made back in Feb 1 2011 stating 24 were made in 1995 and another 21 in 1996.   It kind of looks like I should hang on to it.   I love the guitar but have a new J-15 that is just as nice.   Any thoughts of value and value in the future on this one.   I  appreciate any feedback. 

47 minutes ago, PRSCRUGGS said:

Hello,  brand new here but have been collecting guitars for years.    I have been liquidating and am down to acoustics.   I have a 1995 J-45 rosewood in mint condition.  ser#9319500x  I've been trying to price it debating if I really want to sell it and am comming up kind of empty,   I saw a post Hogeye made back in Feb 1 2011 stating 24 were made in 1995 and another 21 in 1996.   It kind of looks like I should hang on to it.   I love the guitar but have a new J-15 that is just as nice.   Any thoughts of value and value in the future on this one.   I  appreciate any feedback. 

I'm not sure if he comes around much anymore.

His last activity was June 19, 2019. I miss his input. 

I seriously doubt that your guitar is worth anything more than any other Standard 2011 J-45 unless it is Brazilian Rosewood. I've had special runs at a lot lower numbers than that and it did not increase the value.

55 minutes ago, Dave F said:

His last activity was June 19, 2019. I miss his input. 

I seriously doubt that your guitar is worth anything more than any other Standard 2011 J-45 unless it is Brazilian Rosewood. I've had special runs at a lot lower numbers than that and it did not increase the value.

Agree. I have a 2008 J-45rw that I bought a couple years ago. I “think” I paid about $1500. Personally I would hang on to it. I like mine.

• Like 1

Well.  From what I was told from the person your seeking.
He was removed from here.  
Which is really sad.   He worked for Gibson for many years along side of Larry English, Ren Ferguson, Robbie Johns , John Walker. Kevin Kopp,  Val.  and many more.
Hes had more access to Gibson acoustics than anyone there. 

And he was and is very much a 100%  Gibson fan.  He might be a bit rough around the edges.
He tells it like it is. And he ruffled a few feathers here. 

I guess someone didnt like that. And he hurt a few feelings  

It doesnt hurt to be who you are  . We all have a different outlook on what we experiance  . 

But I cant really blame him through all hes seen there over the years.  

Hogeye is a really good guy. He knows more than you all give him credit for. Hes seen the changes and he was sharing those changes with you all. 

there are a few of us that know him very well on this site. And we talk to Hogeye often. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, slimt said:

Well.  From what I was told from the person your seeking.
He was removed from here.  
Which is really sad.   He worked for Gibson for many years along side of Larry English, Ren Ferguson, Robbie Johns , John Walker. Kevin Kopp,  Val.  and many more.
Hes had more access to Gibson acoustics than anyone there. 

And he was and is very much a 100%  Gibson fan.  He might be a bit rough around the edges.
He tells it like it is. And he ruffled a few feathers here. 

I guess someone didnt like that. And he hurt a few feelings  

It doesnt hurt to be who you are  . We all have a different outlook on what we experiance  . 

But I cant really blame him through all hes seen there over the years.  

Hogeye is a really good guy. He knows more than you all give him credit for. Hes seen the changes and he was sharing those changes with you all. 

there are a few of us that know him very well on this site. And we talk to Hogeye often. 

I always found his comments knowledgeable, and his rough edges were just his manner, at least it seemed that way to me.

I'm sorry he's not here anymore, and would appreciate anyone who is in touch with him sending  my appreciation of his knowledge and my best wishes along to him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, j45nick said:

I always found his comments knowledgeable, and his rough edges were just his manner, at least it seemed that way to me.

I'm sorry he's not here anymore, and would appreciate anyone who is in touch with him sending  my appreciation of his knowledge and my best wishes along to him.

Same here. He called it the way he saw it. I agreed with him about 80% of the time but enjoyed him 100% of the time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, j45nick said:

I talk to Hogeye when hes giving me heck for sending bad weather his way. 🙂.   Im about 8 hours north of his location.   Hes a Good person. And has been for the 30 some years Ive known him .  He actually lead me to dealer back in the day so I could order Custom Shop Gibsons , beings our lame yorkville wholesaler couldnt find the time of day to help.  

Ill make a point of letting him know j45Nick. I can email tonight.    I think someone here whined to much. And didnt like  knowledge getting in there way.   

• Like 1

I’m glad to here he is still around and kicking! I have not seen him on the forum for a long time and was afraid to ask. He was a great asset to the forum!  He had knowledge that is missed. Is there a workable path of restoration? Anyway let him know he is missed.

As to the 95 J45, I agree with the others. It is not anything unusually special, though a nice instrument! I think Gibson returned back to their nitro finished by 95.

chasAK

• Like 2

Hogeye was not removed from here. If he does not come around, it's of his own choosing. I correspond with him on a semi-regular basis. I consider him to be a personal friend.

He knows more than he says. He says what he chooses. He's lived more than most of us. I respect his choice to be where he wants to be at any given time.

• Like 4