Gibson Brands Forums

What is the cheapest guitar you have? and the cheapest one you play?

Basshole

Made in the heart of Bavaria, my old Framus acoustic 6-string, bought for $50.00 in the PX in 1969. It doesn't get a lot of play lately but occasionally I take it out for some strumming.

Of my electrics, my ol' Epi Del Rey is the lowest price guitar. I don't remember what I paid for it 10 years ago...6 or 7 hundred bucks or so. And, in spite of having some more expensive and sophisticated instruments now, I play the Del Rey much more than any of the others. Matter of fact, my least favorite to play is my most expensive, one-off custom. How's that for irony?

There's one in a little hole in the wall shop near here. Not sure if it's one of the better ones' date=' but they sure are proud of it. I think they're asking $300.[/quote']

if it's one of the "right" ones then $300 is a good price.

My cheapest electric is my LP Gold-Top copy by a company named 'Grant'. It cost about $100.00 in 1976 so wasn't cheap exactly. I soon replaced the pups with a pair of DiMarzio 'Dual-Sound' HBs (at a cost of about $120.00) and I still have it although, not including comparing it to my R0, I haven't played it for about 20 years!

The cheapest electric guitar I play is, therefore, my R0 in my avatar simply because it's the only electric guitar I play.

Acoustic-wise, with the exception of the f-hole thing I was researching on Thursday ($7.50 and unplayable), I have a 1979 'Kiso-Suzuki Violin Company' KW-150 which is, in effect, a copy of a Martin Jumbo. It gets played hard about every two or three days, check out at the dark 'wear' on the fingerboard!. It cost about $200.00 and is actually a very nice sounding instrument.

EDIT:

I totally forgot about a cheap 'Strat-style' guitar I bought years ago for about $90.00 so that I would have something to noodle on when I returned to Scotland whilst visiting family. It's now down in London, sitting all forlorn and forgotten...

Here's the acoustics I've mentioned along with the 'Strat'

Groupoffive.jpg

I'll assume you mean "least expensive", as that is what most seem to be gravitating towards.

Not sure which would count:

traded a Yamaha FG75 and $50 for this:

070608014.jpg

070608017.jpg

070608019.jpg

or the Fender Elite Strat w/ hardshell case I gave $75 for:

070608001.jpg

070608003.jpg

Both were great deals!

I had a Costco Yamaha -- got swiped out of the car. I bought another Yamaha FG04 Ltd on Craigs list for $150 and put a Tusq saddle on it (doubled the quality of the sound). a nice soft case came with it and I play it several times a week -- (where I would not take the Gibson or the Tacoma). I can toss it in the car and go. I only take the Gibson to ideal (safe) places. The Tacoma is the mid-level guitar: I took that on an airplane to Chicago and then to Kentucky -- traveled nicely in a hard case. Today most guitars a decent. (they don't cut your fingers or cause blood blisters on your fingers. Lots of good choices under $500 -- but they are laminate sides and back, plain (unfinished), cheap saddle, cheap hardware, cheap case. And the maker doesn't make more than $15 bucks but they self tons of them. Probably not more than $200 profit in a Gibson or a Taylor. Not easy to compete these days. [CNC machines work 24/7 no lights, no air condition, no benefits, no vacations, no workman's comp, no union -- hard to compete]. It''s the finishing touches that are done by humans

By today's standards it may be considered "cheap.

But when I purchased it new in 87 it was by no means cheap...

1987 Charvel #model 4 ...

And it still gets use...

Man, the model 4 was supposedly one of the highest quality import guitars ever!

My cheap guitar is an epi les paul standard.

Hmm, i have a cheap "squier" strat that i put together with cheap squier parts (all used) a squier tele neck and strat body (used). Paid about 45 bucks for it, sounds like **** and looks like ****, but still ocassionally play it and use it as a travel guitar. Its my SG's *****.

Archived