Gibson Brands Forums

Learnt some Joe Pass!

cody78

I haven't posted on here in over a year, but I have been enjoying all the lockdowns as it's given me chance to practice a lot more. In the first lockdown here in the UK last March I decided to go back through most of Slash's 'Use Your Illusion' solos and learn them note for note. After this I turned to some jazz stuff I'd always meant to learn and started on Joe Pass' version of Night & Day. I'm now working through some Tal Farlow tunes (his arrangement of Autumn Leaves). Anyway, I thought some of you might enjoy hearing Night & Day...this is just a section from the intro until I get around to recording the rest of it.  I was going to record it on either my 175 or ES 5, but opted for my J-185 as it was originally recorded on an acoustic. I can't remember how to post videos so it shows up directly on here, so here is the YouTube link.

Joe Pass Jazz chord melody excerpt - YouTube

Edited by cody78
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

cody78,

That surprised me, as I recall Joe playing it just like that. You are right on the money! Fine job.

I wonder what Joe would have done with Smoke on the Water? 

Thanks merciful-evans, I'm glad you enjoyed it and appreciate your comments. Yes, I learnt it from a note for note transcription and tried to play it as close to how Joe did originally. As you can imagine, it is a very challenging piece to play and took a fair bit of practise! 

Whatever Joe would do to Smoke on the Water I'm sure it would be interesting (and difficult!) 

Edited by cody78
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

He ain't got nothin' on me.

Dunt dunt duhhh

Dunt  dunt duhhh oh crap, there goes my pick...

All he plays now is elf and druid renaissance music. He was a guitar god now he's the Sorcerers Apprentice. 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Nice delicate touch, Cody. Enjoyable. Thanks!

All that practice time...imagine it relates to no wedding ring somehow.

Thanks....Yes, exactly! Not being married makes for better practice time!

5 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Awesome @cody78 I commend those who work on material that enriched their skills. Joe is no walk in the park... He’s played with a lot of jazz legends too which is real cool. Well, he is one too. Carry on!

He certainly is and I will! Cheers for the nice comments NighthawkChris. Yes, I'd recommend any guitar player to work on some jazz or classical as it improves your playing a great deal even if you are mainly into rock, metal, blues, country etc. 

5 hours ago, kidblast said:

and,, he can still hang with anyone out there..

fine playin there Cody..

Thanks kidblast...and yep, he can!  

• Like 1