Gibson Brands Forums

les paul traditional v 2008 les paul standard

kingsford73

I voted - is a les paul a les paul any more?

Everybody knows both of those guitars are not real Les Pauls. The only real Les Pauls are solid, end of discussion.

Weight-relieved or chambered Les Paul are pathetic attempts at a real Les Paul.

(Just making the thread interesting...)

i played a trad goldtop in PMT. it was awsome, the neck was thick but comfy and the finnish was lovely, even on the back.

i think they changed the standard too much, but thats just what ive heard from a review, i havent played one. and trads arent weight relifed are they?

er um, Ralph Nader?

What were we talking about anyway?

Oh yeah, I've played a 2008 Standard Premium Plus, a Traditional, a Supreme, a Custom, a 57 that unfortunately had problems, and a 50th R9.

The Traditional, the Custom, and the 50th R9 are still on my shortlist.

So how should I vote? O:) Present?

Yeah, WTF?

That poll is, well, Chinese translated to English indeed....

The 2008 Standard is idiotic.

To get a Standard, you have to buy a Traditional?

Stupid.

I see the Standard name going back on the right guitar soon enough, great marketing gimmick.

I voted for the weight relieving antics, because it felt left out, LOL.

As for the guitars, I like mine heavy, and I hate the Dunlop straplocks (prefer schallers) so I bought the traditional... and a standard truss rod cover. To be honest, I think both are improperly named... there's nothing "standard" or "traditional" about the standard, and the "traditional" has an un-traditional burst pattern, but is pretty much a Standard otherwise.

The new Standards just have way too many bells and whistles that aren't needed. Some are cool, others not so much. For the price difference, I much prefer the Traditional. Honestly, even if they were the same price, I would still much prefer the Traditional.

Agreed, strange poll!

I have a 2007 and 2008 standard, and whilst the former is a beauty all round, the 2008 just beats it on tone. Obviously, it is much lighter and the locking tuners are a godsend but when plugged into my Marshall JCM2000, i just screams.

My two cents...err pence :-)

Archived