Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Herd

DanvillRob

Since I've last been on the forum, I've acquired a couple of guitars.

I hope I know how to post photos on here....

First on the left is my original 1969/70 Jubilee (my 'beater)

Second is the 1975 J-50 my staff gave me when I retired last year.   It is now my workhorse

Third is my 1979 Dove my bride gave me back in 1980 or 81.   Very special to me.

Fourth is the 2003 Doves In Flight.  Probably the best sounding guitar I have.

Fifth is the 2010 Hummingbird 12-String.   From Leslie...she says it's the ONLY 'Bird 12-String (Right-Hand) made that year.

Sixth is the 2011 Hummingbird Custom Koa.   Gets better and better as it gets older and older.

May be an image of guitar and indoor

• Like 4

I think I pee'd a little...

that is quite the collection of Gibson square shoulders you got there.

Yeah... love the dreads....When I was a kid I worked in a music store, (maybe '65/'66/'67).   We got in a Hummingbird....so when the store was empty, I'd play it.   Told my wife, if I ever got the money, I'd buy a Gibson Hummingbird.   Well... after we were married for a year or so....she bought me a guitar as a present....she KNEW I wanted a Gibson, and she KNEW it was some kind of 'bird' guitar.....so she bought me the Dove!    I'd get a standard Hummingbird right now...but I have no room for any more guitars....all 11 of them live in the music room.

Rob, I think I remember you bringing that  Jubilee to Ol' Fred's gathering  at Neversweat back in 2013. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Yes... I brought it there...and also the Dove..... with the addition of the J-50, the Dove stays at home now.    I'm putting electronics on the J-50 now.

Talked with Krasi and he swears by the K&K Trinity system.   I have the pickups and mic...waiting for the preamp.

If I like it, I'll install a system on the Dove.

The 12-string already has a pickup....and I won't touch the DIF or 'Bird.

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Hey Danville - nice to see you return. Been missing the presence of your limousines on the Board. Now we have them 'covered' again. 

And in fine form - to judge from your late January track. Guess that was the mid70s J-50.

I post once or twice a week.... which post from Late January?    I've been mostly using the J-50 lately...but still break out the 12-String on occasion.

12 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I post once or twice a week.... which post from Late January?    I've been mostly using the J-50 lately...but still break out the 12-String on occasion.

The post informed you hadn't been on the Forum for years. Think the song was called Some Beach. 

The post informed you hadn't been on the Forum for years. Think the song was called Some Beach. 

Oh yeah..... I thought you meant on YouTube....  I liked Some Beach....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Rob, I think I remember you bringing that  Jubilee to Ol' Fred's gathering  at Neversweat back in 2013. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Yes... I brought it there...and also the Dove..... with the addition of the J-50, the Dove stays at home now.    I'm putting electronics on the J-50 now.

Talked with Krasi and he swears by the K&K Trinity system.   I have the pickups and mic...waiting for the preamp.

If I like it, I'll install a system on the Dove.

The 12-string already has a pickup....and I won't touch the DIF or 'Bird.

I have some different versions of the K&K Trinity in 5 guitars now!

It is great but to use the mic will cause feedback in a loud session. I run to my mixer and use in ears or headphones and I can have the mic on full! I prefer the sound in the mixer/PA type sound instead of an amp.

Let us know how you get on. It is a great sound with the internal mic - took a while to get the preamp gain settings correct. I ended up with the preamp gain right down and the volume controls on full!

BluesKing777.

Just now, BluesKing777 said:

I have some different versions of the K&K Trinity in 5 guitars now!

It is great but to use the mic will cause feedback in a loud session. I run to my mixer and use in ears or headphones and I can have the mic on full! I prefer the sound in the mixer/PA type sound instead of an amp.

Let us know how you get on. It is a great sound with the internal mic - took a while to get the preamp gain settings correct. I ended up with the preamp gain right down and the volume controls on full!

BluesKing777.

I will... Krasi swears by 'em...and he plays out a lot (at least he used to).   I figured about the feedback from the mic....but I mostly play in my music room..... I was planning of piping it through the Princeton Amp in there...you think it'll be better through the PA system?

Oh...and yes... Some Beach was the J-50.  I really like that guitar.....it's kinda like my pickup... looks pretty good, but I don't have to worry much about it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I will... Krasi swears by 'em...and he plays out a lot (at least he used to).   I figured about the feedback from the mic....but I mostly play in my music room..... I was planning of piping it through the Princeton Amp in there...you think it'll be better through the PA system?

I like the sound through a mixer, myself - more 'full range'. Try it all and get the sound you want.

I have many options but I have the Tonedexter preamp (like an Fishman Aura sound but you can make your own sounds with your mic) - so if if I run a mono guitar lead from the K&K Trinity, it won't have the mic and I can use just the K&K part of the pickup with a Tonedexter file - has DI, some EQ etc and Feedback control!

If I want to play with the Trinity mic, I use a stereo cable to enable the mic and switch Tonedexter to BYPASS. (To mixer etc). Very handy and more options!

BluesKing777.

30 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

I like the sound through a mixer, myself - more 'full range'. Try it all and get the sound you want.

I have many options but I have the Tonedexter preamp (like an Fishman Aura sound but you can make your own sounds with your mic to give the sound of a guitar through a mic) - so if if I run a mono guitar lead from the K&K Trinity, it won't have the mic and I can use just the K&K part of the pickup with a Tonedexter file - has DI, some EQ etc and Feedback control!

If I want to play with the Trinity mic, I use a stereo cable to enable the mic and switch Tonedexter to BYPASS. (To mixer etc). Very handy and more options!

BluesKing777.

I like you have loved the Gibson dreads for a number of years. 

It started back in 1967 when I first started playing my 1964 J-45. My next was a 12 string Gibson Jubilee that my girl at the time, and now my wife bought me in 1970. My next was a 1990 Dove that I purchased in 1991. My next one was a 2018 Limited Edition Dove that I still own. My next one was a 1977 Dove that I gave to my nephew as a gift for his service in the Air Force. My next was a 1973 Dove that I gave to my son's friend as a gift.  My next one was a 2014 Quilted maple Hummingbird that I soled recently. My next was a 2016 Limited Edition Quilted maple Dove that I still own.  My last purchase was  2006 Doves in Flight. The 1990 Dove will be given to my grandson on his 18-th Birthday. The 2016 Quilted Dove and the Doves in Fight are my keepers for life.

As you can see, once I owned my first Gibson, I was always a Gibson man.

Edited by Rich H.
year error