Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Herd

DanvillRob

13 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Wonderous!  But it just dawned on me that in 55 or so years of playing Gibsons I have only owned one with square shoulders which was a 1963 B45-12.  Interesting that as I do not have a clue why.

I’ve had two HB standards and one Gospel. I currently have a DIF. It’s one of my favorite guitars. 

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Wonderous!  But it just dawned on me that in 55 or so years of playing Gibsons I have only owned one with square shoulders which was a 1963 B45-12.  Interesting that as I do not have a clue why.

Just a wonderous that in almost 50 years of playing Gibsons, I ONLY have square shoulders...and I have never sold one!

59 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I’ve had two HB standards and one Gospel. I currently have a DIF. It’s one of my favorite guitars. 

The DIF is a fabulous guitar...and my 2003 is probably the best sounding one I have.....but it's not my favorite....... first of all...it's unblemished....no scratches or belt rash..... I only play it in my sweats and shirts with no buttons..... I want to pass it on to my grandson in "like-new" condition, (same with the 'Bird Koa").  

Quite a collection! Interesting that you gravitate towards the 1975 J-50. A 1974 J-50 Deluxe was my first acoustic, I bought it new and it's one of the few things that remain from that part of my life. Whenever my daughter's family visited, my son in law headed right for the '74 J-50, it was by far his favorite - even though this vintage of Gibson acoustics gets very little love here (one of the people posting in this thread likes to say they sound like they're "stuffed with T-shirts", LOL). Mine has a pretty unique sound and is remarkably LOUD - much more than my other guitars. He liked it so much, I gave it to my son in law a few years ago, I didn't play it much anyway.

Is that the original pick guard on the '75 J-50? There are so many variations across the years, it's hard to keep track. But I'm surprised it doesn't have the "bat wing" pickguard like mine. That's one of my favorite things about the J-50! 😀

Edited by Boyd

3 minutes ago, Boyd said:

Quite a collection! Interesting that you gravitate towards the 1975 J-50. A 1974 J-50 Deluxe was my first acoustic, I bought it new and it's one of the few things that remain from that part of my life. Whenever my daughter's family visited, my son in law headed right for the '74 J-50, it was by far his favorite - even though this vintage of Gibson acoustics gets very little love here (one of the people posting in this thread likes to say they sound like they're "stuffed with T-shirts", LOL). Mine has a pretty unique sound and is remarkably LOUD - much more than my other guitars. He liked it so much, I gave it to my son in law a few years ago, I didn't play it much anyway.

Is that the original pick guard on the '75 J-50? There are so many variations across the years, it's hard to keep track. But I'm surprised it doesn't have the "bat wing" pickguard like mine. That's one of my favorite things about the J-50! 😀

Thanks, Not sure about the pickguard.... you can see mine has the 'standard' teardrop pickguard.    I would have preferred a J-45, but the J-50 was a gift from my staff when I retired.

You're right about the "Norlin-era" GIbsons.    Since I have 3 Kalamazoo guitars and 3 Bozeman guitars, I can say the Bozeman are better....but the Kalamazoo guitars are no slouches!

I can't imagine my giving up ANY of my acoustics.....I have some electrics...and a couple of them were built by my cousin before he had a devastating accident, so they won't go anywhere.... I have a Strat from  his collection that I actually don't like much.... and a couple of others I could take or leave.  

Like your J-50.... my old Dove is amazingly loud..... the J-50 can hold it's own with it, (but certainly NOT the Jubilee).

Here's the DIF in action....nothing but it (and my voice....sorry).

As I said, I'm recording every song in my repertoire for my grandsons to have when they're older.... and I completed all the songs in my chart books...and am now going through my old retired chart books and recording the songs I used to do many years ago.   This is one of those songs I used to do (attempt).   When I saw it, I had to find it and listen to it again to recall how it even goes.   And when I did, I found it's actually a great song.   Paul Simon is a master in song construction!

Recorded in our master bathroom.

1 minute ago, DanvillRob said:

I can't imagine my giving up ANY of my acoustics...

That's unfortunate. But the "you can never have enough guitars" philosophy is pretty common around here. 😂

Just now, Boyd said:

That's unfortunate. But the "you can never have enough guitars" philosophy is pretty common around here. 😂

I don't think it's a bad thing..... my stuff (not just my guitars) are all very special to me.

I have 6 amps (I think).... 4 of them I could care less about..... but I have an early 70's Fender Princeton Reverb that belonged to my dad.   I've had it completely rebuilt, (with the exception of the outside....I want it to look the same as when my dad used it).....and I have an early 70's Dual Showman Reverb  amp.....it's completely rebuilt, including the tolex and screen....even has "new-old stock" 15" JBL's.     It's big and heavy...will go to one of the grandkids.

No photo description available.

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Just a wonderous that in almost 50 years of playing Gibsons, I ONLY have square shoulders...and I have never sold one!

For much of my life I had to either sell something or trade it in the get another.  

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

For much of my life I had to either sell something or trade it in the get another.  

I've been lucky in that regard.   After I quit music, I sold everything...not for the money, but just to get rid of it all....since that time, I've only acquired.   Did give my Ovation 12-String away...but it was impossible to play....my luthier 'parted it out'.

Beautiful herd of Dreads!! I'm partial to a dread or two myself (Dove, Maple AJ, '67 J45, Hummingbird 12...in fact the only guitars that aren't dreads in my herd are my SJ200, old Tak jumbo and little CF-100 copy) and love the look of your collection. I bet that Koa bird is killer!

18 hours ago, Jinder said:

Beautiful herd of Dreads!! I'm partial to a dread or two myself (Dove, Maple AJ, '67 J45, Hummingbird 12...in fact the only guitars that aren't dreads in my herd are my SJ200, old Tak jumbo and little CF-100 copy) and love the look of your collection. I bet that Koa bird is killer!

Phil, I thought I responded to you.... the Koa 'Bird IS killer.... you know I bought it new in 2011....so it's had 11 years to open up some.....it's MUCH better now...and getting better and better with age.   I like the short-scale neck.... it may overtake the DIF one day for tone.   You know I love all your guitars....  I lusted after your 'Bird 12-String for a long time until Leslie decided to sell me hers....and it's un-feckin'-believable!

• Like 1