Gibson Brands Forums

Strings for Acoustic Archtop

pawlowski6132

So, I'm going to be doing some experimenting with different strings on my '47 L7. I have a few questions I hope some of y'all can help with:

1. Since this will be played without any pickup/amplification (i.e., always only in "acoustic-mode"), should I, as a rule, stay away from strings normally found on electric (archtop, semi-hollow or solid body) guitars such as nickel, steel, etc.? Should I mainly be looking for strings made from material similar to acoustic flattop guitars (bronze, PB, etc.?)
  2. If I'm looking at flat top acoustic strings, do I need to be concerned with tension? In other words, should I consider my guitar top, bracing, wooden bridge, etc. too fragile for some string types due to tension?
  3. I really like flatwound strings. I really like a mellow tone. On my 175 and 330 I've enjoyed D'Addario Chromes and Thomstik Jazz Swings. I have some Newtone (Archtop, Master Class Double Wound, Heritage) and Rotosound (top tape) on their way. Any other suggestions?

Thanx in advance, as always

Joe P

You can't go wrong with Thomastik-Infeld, they are the best IMO though D'Addario Chromes have their own thing too. 

I play fairly light (0.11 top) but 0.12 or 0.13 should be ok though stiff of course.  I wouldn't go higher than 13 top but some do.  I can't answer your question on tension other than that.

The Rotosounds are ok but not much treble, I had a set a few years back.  Very good for strong rhythm playing. 

If you want a different experience sometime try Optima gold-plated strings. Buy  a set 1 gauge lighter than what you use.  These are probably the most extraordinary strings I've ever used. They don't really tarnish and maintain their tone for a very long time plus they are incredibly loud.  Not a mellow tone though!

Thanx for your reply, any chance you have some insight to my first question?

1. Since this will be played without any pickup/amplification (i.e., always only in "acoustic-mode"), should I, as a rule, stay away from strings normally found on electric (archtop, semi-hollow or solid body) guitars such as nickel, steel, etc.? Should I mainly be looking for strings made from material similar to acoustic flattop guitars (bronze, PB, etc.?)

Thanx for taking the time to reply.

It comes down to your own preference  really.  The tone would be different, obviously.  You might even find a new set of nickel or that type of strings sounds more 'mellow' than a new set of bronze/brass. 

Most people would stick with reasonably heavy 'acoustic strings'  to drive the top; I have an archtop and I love the Thomastik flatwounds although of course flats do sound deader than roundwound strings. 

Heavier gauges...I would say 0.14 on top and 0.56 on bottom E would be my absolute maximum limit on any guitar in standard tuning.   Within those limits I'd try almost any type of strings - though I've never tried coated ones - don't like cobalt or stainless steel much either!

Must be a nice guitar.

Edited by jdgm

I had a '47 L-7 (A-235) and struggled to find the right strings for it, since it was my first acoustic archtop. Experienced archtop players told me to go heavier (.13s) rather than lighter. I ended up with heavy round-wound PBs, but never found the mellow archtop tone I was looking for. Realistically, I should have added a pickup to get what I was after.

Nickel or monel strings may  sound a bit dull or brittle on a purely acoustic maple archtop because of the quick decay. If you are going with flat-top style strings, try the same nominal strings in both 80-20 bronze and PB. You might look at DR strings.

You actually have named a good cross section of potential strings for your guitar. I would work through that list, and expect you might find what you are looking for in that list.

Your L-7 is pretty strongly built, since it has a carved top and carved back,  longitudinal top bracing, and a nice fat neck.

• Like 1

Sounds like you already know what you are after and what the different string types sound like. You might even know more than us guys giving advice (me included)

Here is mine: It was on my L7 (61?) that I discovered the relationship between tension and tone.  It structurally handles fat strings just fine, but this one likes lighter ones. Lots of tension seems to choke it out.  Lighter ones sound brighter. What this particular guitar likes isn't true for all my others or others I have played/tried. Each one likes what it likes. Like matching bullets to guns for accuracy. 

After becoming aware of this, I would tune up or down on my guitars to try and find if that particular guitar likes more or less tension. Sometimes the results are drastic. 

• Like 1

Thanx everyone for good insight and your time.

If anyone is interested, i'll be running through the listening tests over the next couple of weeks and listening to strings on my 175 and L7; some combination of strings and guitar, not sure which yet, i need a plan. I'm happy to share my non-scientific results here if you'd like.

Strings on Tap to Listen to:

• Thomastik-Infeld: George Benson 12 (Round)
  • Thomastik-Infeld: Jazz Swing 12 (Flat)
  • D'Addorio: Chrome 11 and 12 (Flat)
  • Rotosound: Top Tap Monel 12 (Flat)
  • Newtone: Archtop 11 (Round)
  • Newtone: Heritage 11 (Round)
  • Newtone: Master Class Double Wound 11 (Round-ish)
  • Newtone: Becky Langan Master Class Signature 12 (Round)
  • Like 1