Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone remember me?


stein
 Share

Recommended Posts

The opening act (Blonde Redhead, my buddy's band) was so loud when they hit the first chord the crowd just ran away from the stage.

After their set I told them and they had no idea.

I've given some thought about the Battle Of The Bulge and I think you can probably hide the love handles behind this number.  You'd probably want the slim taper neck, I would think.

LRLSMTR.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

They had the treble cranked so bad............ it was terrible.  

A) Because the guy behind the desk is literally deaf in the high register above 8-10khz after x thousand live shows, and

B) Most big live venues have the acoustics of a large aircraft hangar.  (Which in the long run was fortunate, for my ears anyway.)

Result; everything turned up ear-bleedingly loud in order to overcome sonic limitations of venue.  Doesn't always  work.  

:-$

Edited by jdgm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

The opening act (Blonde Redhead, my buddy's band) was so loud when they hit the first chord the crowd just ran away from the stage.

After their set I told them and they had no idea.

I've given some thought about the Battle Of The Bulge and I think you can probably hide the love handles behind this number.  You'd probably want the slim taper neck, I would think.

LRLSMTR.jpg

Maybe a baritone? I seem to remember a V in Baritone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

A) Because the guy behind the desk is literally deaf in the high register above 8-10khz after x thousand live shows, and

B) Most big live venues have the acoustics of a large aircraft hangar.  (Which in the long run was fortunate, for my ears anyway.)

Result; everything turned up ear-bleedingly loud in order to overcome sonic limitations of venue.  Doesn't always  work.  

:-$

So, so many reasons. And sound is generally far better than it used to be isn't it? 

I have been out of it for so long....I don't even know what they use for equipment these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been eating a lot of pasta and ice cream.  I'm thinking a giant scale ES-330 for me.

As for the Red Hot Ice Pick Peppers, it was actually outdoors at Hershey Entertainment but they did have it cranked up and shrill.  I thought it might be the way the band liked it.

Years later I bumped into a guy who had a Buell and I wound up working on it and he was the sound engineer at the Warner Theater in DC.  He gave me a pair of tickets to see the Brian Setzer Orchestra there and it sounded great!

Really a nice place, too.

https://www.historictheatrephotos.com/Theatre/Warner-Washington-DC.aspx

You may have detected a pattern: they give me free tickets and I show up.  I have to buy my own and I don't go.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I've been eating a lot of pasta and ice cream.  I'm thinking a giant scale ES-330 for me.

As for the Red Hot Ice Pick Peppers, it was actually outdoors at Hershey Entertainment but they did have it cranked up and shrill.  I thought it might be the way the band liked it.

Years later I bumped into a guy who had a Buell and I wound up working on it and he was the sound engineer at the Warner Theater in DC.  He gave me a pair of tickets to see the Brian Setzer Orchestra there and it sounded great!

Really a nice place, too.

https://www.historictheatrephotos.com/Theatre/Warner-Washington-DC.aspx

You may have detected a pattern: they give me free tickets and I show up.  I have to buy my own and I don't go.

That's like a real theatre. And on top of that, you likely don't get a job there unless you know what you are doing. And on top of that, if you happen to not do a top-notch job, they don't keep you. 

I seen that orchestra (Setzer...the big one) at an outdoor place around here NOT known for it's sound, and they sounded great. I also had the record when I had my fancy audiophile turntable and such. Them in that theatre would top almost anything in my memory!

You are a blessed man. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An ES-330 in Baritone would be PERFECT for us getting bigger guys. A little larger, thin, light...

I think Gibson should maybe think about a whole new line of guitars for this growing demographic in these days of covid. 

They can be under the "lifestyle" section...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2021 at 11:08 PM, stein said:

Is Henry still in charge? Is this place really still here? 

Should I maybe, possibly, learn to play again? 

Does Gibson make anything that might hide the fact I have put on a few pounds?

Man,, Remember what this place used to be like ages ago...  More akin to the wild west than the mostly family friendly forum it is now.. So many threads, so many arguments.. It was more fun thats one thing I can say about it and you needed some thick skin thats for sure.. If you were on more than one thread back then it was hard keeping up with the various responses. Mostly people slagging each other off..  🙂  While it did get silly sometimes I do kinda miss it.

Edited by Rabs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Man,, Remember what this place used to be like ages ago...  More akin to the wild west than the mostly family friendly forum it is now.. So many threads, so many arguments.. It was more fun thats one thing I can say about it and you needed some thick skin thats for sure.. If you were on more than one thread back then it was hard keeping up with the various responses. Mostly people slagging each other off..  🙂  While it did get silly sometimes I do kinda miss it.

Well, ME, I haven't changed!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2021 at 4:08 PM, stein said:

Is Henry still in charge? Is this place really still here? 

Should I maybe, possibly, learn to play again? 

Does Gibson make anything that might hide the fact I have put on a few pounds?

I remember you, Stein.  

I used to have an Ovation 12-String.... it had a rounded back....and as I got older I got a rounded front..... so pretty soon when I played it, I looked much like T-Bone Walker!   Anyway, I too was missing from the Forum for years.... glad to see you're back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2021 at 4:45 PM, SteveFord said:

The opening act (Blonde Redhead, my buddy's band) was so loud when they hit the first chord the crowd just ran away from the stage.

After their set I told them and they had no idea.

I've given some thought about the Battle Of The Bulge and I think you can probably hide the love handles behind this number.  You'd probably want the slim taper neck, I would think.

LRLSMTR.jpg

I haven't heard Blonde Redhead in ages. Aren't they a 3 piece with an girl of Asian descent  on vocals?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...