Gibson Brands Forums

Memphis 335 Truss Rod Cover

Korgis

It was on the guy's bench for weeks and he got tired of asking his manager what he was supposed to do with it so he tore open the vaccuwrap and put it on the next guitar that came by.

Don't any of you people work for a living?

rct

19 minutes ago, rct said:

It was on the guy's bench for weeks and he got tired of asking his manager what he was supposed to do with it so he tore open the vaccuwrap and put it on the next guitar that came by.

rct

I unfortunately do.

Fries with that?

I mostly buy guitars just to look at them . . . oh wait that is just super rich collectors.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2021 at 12:13 PM, rct said:

rct

At the risk of feeding the trolls, the same could more so be said for you.  You obviously don't know what happened or what the real question was, so as the saying goes, you don't have to make a worthless smart-*** answer.  

The original post:

"I just purchased a 2019 Gibson Memphis 335 ...my dream guitar. QC is spot on but I noticed the truss rod cover looks to be the basic version rather than the stepped 2 ply with the f hole engraving that I ‘ve seen on these guitars. I’m wondering if it’s simply an error at the factory. So I contacted Gibson to order the proper part and they didn’t seem to know what I was referring to. I contacted Sweetwater. Same thing. I did a thorough search on the Internet and came up with squat. So my question is this: does anyone know what the deal is with this elusive little piece of plastic?"

My answer:

"They have a bin.  In that bin is the truss rod covers they are using today.  They reach in, grab one, put it on the guitar.  That's it."

There's the answer.  That's how it works at guitar factories, even Gibson.

Much deep speculation, part numbers, "QC sheets", etc.

There is no quorum of long bearded gentleluthiers stroking their beards and deciding which guitar will get which mystical truss cover.  There is no guy with a monocle ensuring that all QC parameters line up, including which of the aforementioned truss covers have been assigned to this particular piece of guitar art.  It's a job.  The guy reached in the bin, grabbed a cover, put it on, probably didn't even look at it.  OR, like I said, that one had been on his bench for weeks with no answer from his boss so he stuck it on the next one that came by.  Hence my question about having jobs, because we all know how it goes.

If you don't believe me, visit the factories of these guitar makers, I've been to two out of three.  I'm quite certain that Gibson is not very much different from the other two in that stuff happens all the time.

rct

Edited by rct
  • Like 1