Gibson Brands Forums

Best strings for a Gibson J-45 Standard Gauge/Brand?

Apollo Triton

I've used D'Addario PB light, JP bluegrass, among many others and am currently playing Martin Clapton's Choice lights, which sound very good, indeed.

There are few I've tried that didn't sound acceptable on my J-45, but I didn't care for Martin Retro Monels that much - others love 'em.

As many others have said, your ears are unique to you and hear things as only you can, so try a few and "see" for yourself.

If I had only one choice I'd probably opt for old,reliable D'Addario EJ-16's.

if you like what you have been using why change? Or try everything under the sun and see if you like something else. If you have been eating only Big Macs at McD's and never had the Filet-O-Fish, asking someone if they like it is one thing. Trying it is Acid Test.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

if you like what you have been using why change? Or try everything under the sun and see if you like something else. If you have been eating only Big Macs at McD's and never had the Filet-O-Fish, asking someone if they like it is one thing. Trying it is Acid Test.

😂 guess we’ll try some acid then

7 minutes ago, Apollo Triton said:

😂 guess we’ll try some acid then

If you haven't by now your in for a wild ride. Get some Moody Blues at the ready.

BTW I like Cleartone strings they are "treated" as the package says. No flaking off of the coating. I've tried their 80/20, PB and ones called EQ. I hear no tone loss, like most people complain about with coated strings.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Apollo Triton said:

Nice I’ve used the nickel bronze, I was looking for a little more volume maybe mediums will suit me. I see a lot of people recommend John Pearse PB  on this forum but I’ve never tried them.

I put a set of the John Pearce pure Nickel on my J-50. I’m impressed! The Retro’s by Martin are good too. Can tell a slight difference in the way they feel, but that’s about it. Retro’s....made in Mexico. John Pearce....made in USA, & cost a little less.

the “best strings” are the ones you like the best.

Edited by Paul14

I use Martin Acoustic Guitar Authentic/SP 80/20 Bronze Lights or Mediums on all my (newer and older) Gibsons and Epiphone guitars.  The strings sound great and last quite awhile and are great value for their price..  No reason for me to change or recommend anything else.  

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff