Gibson Brands Forums

Tascosa

Tascosa

I have a Martin D35, Iwould like to know if a Hummingbird's neck is smaller or different shape than the Martin. I have a difficult time playing the Martin Also are the newer hummingbirds as good on sound as the  60's model? I owned one then but " stupidly"traded it away. 

A Hummingbird had a shorter scale neck than a D35, so will have lower string tension and will be easier to play. The Hummingbirds I've owned have been amongst the most comfortable and easy to play guitars I've had the pleasure to tuck under my arm.

In terms of comparison to the '60s Birds, I would argue that the modern Bozeman made guitars are the equal of anything Gibson has made since the '50s, and don't have the tonal vagaries of adjustable bridges and so forth. You'll likely be very happy with a contemporary Hummingbird, both in terms of playability and tone.

18 hours ago, Tascosa said:

I have a Martin D35, Iwould like to know if a Hummingbird's neck is smaller or different shape than the Martin. I have a difficult time playing the Martin Also are the newer hummingbirds as good on sound as the  60's model? I owned one then but " stupidly"traded it away. 

Both 35s and Birds vary over time. The Marts have gone wider lately, but I assume yours is a 1-11/16. The Birds went narrow between 1965 and 68, , , even wider later. . 

2 very different animals : long/short - rose/hog - non-scalloped/scalloped - (almost) plain/blinged. And 2 very fine guitars. 

It’s all personal preference so the following is just my opinion. In the past the modified oval was the Martin standard and the modern C was Gibson. My D41 Special was my favorite for years but after playing it for an hour or so I would get a soreness in my hand. They’ve since came out with the performing artist shape which I had on a couple Martins and still have on one. I really like that shape. I also have an HD40MS with their slim shape. It seems very close to the PA shape and I really like that. I’ve also had Martin’s vintage V shape on a BRZ RW HD28 built to prewar specs. That shape with the wide neck was too much for me. If you can, get to a big box store that carries Martins and just try out the necks. 
The Gibson standard modern C is very comfortable for me. Gibson has as many neck shapes as they do models. They seem to vary their neck widths with the shape so that needs to be taken in consideration. I believe the modern Hummingbirds should be the modern C with the standard width. I’ve had a couple of them and they are very comfortable. The Gibsons I have or had include the narrow nut slim neck on a DIF and S400,  the baseball club on the J45 Legend, the 30’s V on an L00, the large deeper V on a Jumbo, the wide nuts on the Stage Deluxe, the very comfortable standard C with rolled fingerboard on a DYHTD, the L5 D shape, .......

Good Luck!

For what ever it's worth...   I wish my hands liked Martins as much as my brain does, I'd have at least two.   

They've always seemed a bit of a chore for my hands,  OTOH, I have a J200, as well as 5 other gibsons, (Electrics) and I have no troubles at all with the necks.  I'm right at home there.

not a big dude, 5' 6",  I have small hands,  maybe your hands and my hands are bruthas from different muthas...

Edited by kidblast

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

For what ever it's worth...   I wish my hands liked Martins as much as my brain does, I'd have at least two.   

They've always seemed a bit of a chore for my hands,  OTOH, I have a J200, as well as 5 other gibsons, (Electrics) and I have no troubles at all with the necks.  I'm right at home there.

not a big dude, 5' 6",  I have small hands,  maybe your hands and my hands are bruthas from different muthas...

I'm 5'9" with small hands and Martins never bother mine. The MLO necks are nice. I had a BB King with a fat neck and got along with it. What year is your D-35? If your not getting along with it sell it, and then you will have funds for a HB.

Tascosa, as in Texas?

I know some people love their Doves and Hummingbirds, and I've heard some very good ones. But it always struck me that if you're going to go Gibson, you should go slope-shoulder. That's the sound that put Gibsons on the map.

Admittedly, reasonable minds can differ, and I'd never talk anyone out of buying a good Hummingbird.

56 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

Tascosa, as in Texas?

I know some people love their Doves and Hummingbirds, and I've heard some very good ones. But it always struck me that if you're going to go Gibson, you should go slope-shoulder. That's the sound that put Gibsons on the map.

Admittedly, reasonable minds can differ, and I'd never talk anyone out of buying a good Hummingbird.

To me the Gibson acoustics are the slopes (J-45 ect), the Dreads (the two bird models) and the ones as big as a house (the J and SJ). Yes they make LG-2, and L-00 and others not in prodution right now. but the first 3 are what I think of as far as  Gibby 'Coustic. 

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm 5'9" with small hands and Martins never bother mine. The MLO necks are nice. I had a BB King with a fat neck and got along with it. What year is your D-35? If your not getting along with it sell it, and then you will have funds for a HB.

The 35 is 2006 . It has a 1 piece rosewood back. Martin say they did not make any. If it is bookmatched it fooled me ,with45 yrs woodworking experiance. Rarely played .A pro set up with elixier strings sound great. 

2 hours ago, Tascosa said:

can not get pic to load  I have re sized but did not help. Any ideas?  I really would like you to see this as others have said the same. serial # 1075054 if that helps.    tascosa1880@gmail.com

That is a 2005 according to Martins serial numbers. The last 2004 was SN 1042558 and the last 2005 was SN 1115862. So inside the body on the block it says it's a D-35? Almost everything from the D-28 to the D-45 are rosewood, not sure if they still make D-21's I think they do a OM-21 and those should be RW.  18's and below are usually Hog or some other woods not RW. Martin does not do to much maple and it is usually only every now and then.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 hours ago, Tascosa said:

Thanks everyone. A poorly asked question but great answers. Yes Tas

cosa as in Texas!  I may sell the Martin and return to Gibson in the future. 

I lived in Amarillo, south of Tascosa, for a couple of years. That was a long time ago. Tascosa (or "Old Tascosa") is the locale of a cowboy murder ballad I wrote, "The Death of the Cowboy Frank Norwood." I did an EP, "Murder Ballads of the Texas Panhandle" (it is at www.davidhannersmusic.com) and I'm thinking of expanding it to a full album and "Frank Norwood" would be on it. (And I'm playing a J-35 in the video.)

Apologies for the momentary hijack. If you find a Hummingbird that grabs you, grab it. Well, pay for it first. A good Gibson (and there are many out there) is inspirational and something to behold. Anybody can own a Martin. It takes someone special to own a Gibson.

10 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

I lived in Amarillo, south of Tascosa, for a couple of years. That was a long time ago. Tascosa (or "Old Tascosa") is the locale of a cowboy murder ballad I wrote, "The Death of the Cowboy Frank Norwood." I did an EP, "Murder Ballads of the Texas Panhandle" (it is at www.davidhannersmusic.com) and I'm thinking of expanding it to a full album and "Frank Norwood" would be on it. (And I'm playing a J-35 in the video.)

Apologies for the momentary hijack. If you find a Hummingbird that grabs you, grab it. Well, pay for it first. A good Gibson (and there are many out there) is inspirational and something to behold. Anybody can own a Martin. It takes someone special to own a Gibson.

10 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

Thanks for your song! I grew up in Anarillo, now live in Santa fe. Tascosa is my SASS alias. GOOD LUCK ON ALBUM. Tascosa.jfif

OK back the OPs question about necks.  The Martin has a long scale neck (25.5 inch or thereabouts) and the Gibson has a 24.5 short scale.  Also the Gibson (at least mine) has a 1 3/4 inch nut width whereas the Martin is probably 1 11/16th.  I have played Gibsons since about 1965 so am used to their rounded C and slim taper neck profiles (although each guitar is a little different).  The Martin I believe is more of a V shaped neck.

I bought a Hummingbird "original" (which is what they call on this website) last year and it is great.  Might not have the mojo of an old one from the 60s, but feels and sounds great and is opening up nicely.  

Xz4vrXB.jpg 

• Like 1

I really do not have enough time with Martins or, in fact, Bozeman-made Gibsons (I have only ever owned one) under my belt to say much.   The feel of a neck though is going to be combination of nut width. neck carve (shape and depth), taper, scale, and radius.    You can take two guitars with say the same nut width and depth a the 1st and 9th fret but it will still feel different in your hand depending on whether it has a round shoulder V,   round/full C,  flat C or whatever carve.   The way to get a handle on necks and how flexible you are when it comes to what you like is to have a frame of reference.  And that means playing a whole lot of guitars.  

22 hours ago, Tascosa said:
17 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

⁉️

⁉️

⁉️

⁉️

21 hours ago, Tascosa said:

D35 rosewood back    

IMG_0576.JPG

To clarify:  Martin gave me this info today. This Martin in marked CUSTOM which they now call specials. It is not a 35 with a 3 pc. back nor is it a 28. It is made with a 2 pc back and made for special order to big box stores. It has  hybrid non scalloped bracing, rosewood back and sides, sitka spruce two piece top. Mortise and tenon neck. Hope this clears my confusion. Going to look for a gibson soon. Thank everyone.  Tascosa aka  Larry

5 hours ago, Tascosa said:

To clarify:  Martin gave me this info today. This Martin in marked CUSTOM which they now call specials. It is not a 35 with a 3 pc. back nor is it a 28. It is made with a 2 pc back and made for special order to big box stores. It has  hybrid non scalloped bracing, rosewood back and sides, sitka spruce two piece top. Mortise and tenon neck. Hope this clears my confusion. Going to look for a gibson soon. Thank everyone.  Tascosa aka  Larry

Ouh, I see, , , highly spezial fellow - which at the other hand sounds exiting. Not least for 1984 D-35 owner for the last 30 years.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Any basic differences - sonically ?

9 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Ouh, I see, , , highly spezial fellow - which at the other hand sounds exiting. Not least for 1984 D-35 owner for the last 30 years.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Any basic differences - sonically ?

Not that I know of.  They sent a pdf with more info of specs. , and congatulated me for being a Martin owner. I dont know how to forward that email to this site.  I have gotten more help here on this site than I did on Martin forum. They looked down on non pre war owners ! LOL 

2 hours ago, Tascosa said:

Not that I know of.  They sent a pdf with more info of specs. , and congatulated me for being a Martin owner. I dont know how to forward that email to this site.  I have gotten more help here on this site than I did on Martin forum. They looked down on non pre war owners ! LOL 

If you want to attach the e-mail from Martin just cut and paste the text out of it.  If you don't like that Custom then sell it and get a guitar with a Bird on the pickguard.  

• Sad 1