Gibson Brands Forums

Tascosa

Tascosa

13 hours ago, Tascosa said:

Not that I know of.  They sent a pdf with more info of specs. , and congatulated me for being a Martin owner. I dont know how to forward that email to this site.  I have gotten more help here on this site than I did on Martin forum. They looked down on non pre war owners ! LOL 

Could be entertaining to read that list. And see some more pics. 

All of these folks will tell you the relative merits and make educated comparisons, I'm a dope that doesn't really like Gibson acoustics all that much.  But THAT is one I would definitely take a whack at, but I would not be as militant about comparing it to the traditional Hummingbird.  I like the walnut guitars these days in an attempt to start using something else.  We stopped in Albuquerque one trip back across on 40, I remember a pretty nice GC there. Good luck with the trade. 

rct

4 hours ago, Tascosa said:

ok   , can send pics later or to your email.   tascosa1880@gmail.com

GC03 MMV[2305843009214356328].pdf 170.12 kB · 1 download

Yeah I see where I was lame and you said it came in an e-mail as a pdf. 

Looks like if I can read (and one of my post proves I can't) the sheet says its a Custom D-15 GC (RW-FG) Custom 03, that is two mouthful. I guess D-35 in your first post was a typo. Here is my advice and I have done this in the past, if your not diggin it sell or trade it and get what you really want. Not sure what a thing like that would go for. D-15's new are $1299, but his one is a Custom job and made of RW. Not sure what you paid for it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 hours ago, Tascosa said:

ok   , can send pics later or to your email.   tascosa1880@gmail.com

GC03 MMV[2305843009214356328].pdf 170.12 kB · 4 downloads

Thanx - looks like a pretty straight D-35. Wonder why on earth they chose to abandon the 3-p back. And guess they kept the hidden trademark : The slightly lighter braces.

18 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Thanx - looks like a pretty straight D-35. Wonder why on earth they chose to abandon the 3-p back. And guess they kept the hidden trademark : The slightly lighter braces.

Cause its not a D-35. Did you read the model in the sheet its called by Martin a D-15 GC (RW-FG) Custom 03. Either I don't see it in the build sheet its not there, but I don't know what the bracing on his Custom. A D-35 is 1/4" unlike most of Martin's Dreads which are 5/16". Martin didn't want to make a D-28 with 3 piece back, they wanted it to be different. If it doesn't have a 3 piece back its not a D-35 that is what makes that and the M-36 different. They did a crazy cool back on the CS D-41-15. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Cause its not a D-35. 

I'm slowly but surely beginning to understand this isn't a D-35. 😵 And wonder why the heck the OP claimed that in the beginning. It doesn't even seem to have neck-bindings.                                                                                                        Anyway, , , it still looks like a dread from here - but probably closer to the 28. 

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

I'm slowly but surely beginning to understand this isn't a D-35. 😵 And wonder why the heck the OP claimed that in the beginning. It doesn't even seem to have neck-bindings.                                                                                                        Anyway, , , it still looks like a dread from here - but probably closer to the 28. 

It was presented to me be as a 35  at guitar center years ago. ????  The beautiful RW back was a clincher for me to buy. I have since discovered what it really is from help from others and Martin CO. Just so everyone knows I did not overpay ,just did not understand. Now we all know what it isn't! It is a great sounding drednought guitar worth the price I paid. It is a little hard for me to play and that was my origional question. Looking to find another that would help me play more comfortably. Thanks to everyone here I will start that search. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tascosa said:

It was presented to me be as a 35  at guitar center years ago. ????  The beautiful RW back was a clincher for me to buy. I have since discovered what it really is from help from others and Martin CO. Just so everyone knows I did not overpay ,just did not understand. Now we all know what it isn't! It is a great sounding drednought guitar worth the price I paid. It is a little hard for me to play and that was my origional question. Looking to find another that would help me play more comfortably. Thanks to everyone here I will start that search. 

🙂 Best of luck with everything. Hunting guitars is such good fun, exciting and in the end (hopefully) rewarding. Do write more as your quest unfolds. . 

47 minutes ago, Tascosa said:

If you sell it back or try to trade it to GC even though you bought it there it is there job to get used gear at the lowest price and jack it up to sell. You would do much better on Reverb (which used to be a much better site than it is not to sell gear on), or sell it on your own locally to someone, then all the cash goes to you. Not sure if you ever used reverb or not but they take 5% of each sale. I think before Etsy bought them it was 2.5%. Not sure why someone at GC would tell you its a D-35, oh yes I do, cause they want to make a sale. When or if you sell it just describe it accurately with anything you had done to it, or any bumps and bruises it endured its lifetime. Sounds like you have a really nice guitar that you are just not happy with. Let it to and get the one you really want, you will be much happier in the end. 

Here is the build sheet. It got all squashed together, but I think most can figure it out.

Instrument: CUSTOM with CASE 345 MODEL: D-15 GC (RW-FG) Custom 03 Body Size: D-14 Fret Delivery After Receipt Of Order AND Deposit: SPECIAL INSTRUCTION: None LABEL: None CONSTRUCTION: 1 Style; Ply Blocks; Mortise/Tenon Neck Joint BODY SIZE: D-14 Fret TOP: Sitka Spruce TOP GRADE: 1 Style TOP BRACES: Sitka/1 Style/Non-Scalloped PATTERN: D1 A-Frame TOP BINDING: 6/32'' White Boltaron TOP INLAY: None TOP PEARL: None ADDITIONAL TOP INLAY: None ROSETTE: Style 28 PEARL INLAY: None ADDITIONAL ROS. INLAY: None PICKGUARD: Tortoise (D28 Style) PEARL INLAY: None BACK: Solid East Indian Rosewood BACK PANELS: 2 Pc. PURFLING: None CENTER STRIP/LOC. STAMP: None CAUTION STAMP: None BACK BINDING: 6/32'' White Boltaron BACK INLAY: None BACK PEARL: None ADDITIONAL BACK INLAY: None SIDES: Solid East Indian Rosewood SIDE INLAY: None SIDE PEARL: None ADDITIONAL SIDE INLAY: None ENDPIECE: White Boltaron ENDPIECE INLAY: None ENDPIECE PEARL: None ADDITIONAL EP INLAY: None NECK: Select Hardwood NECK SHAPE: Mod Low Oval HEADSTOCK: Solid/6 String No Diamond/Standard Taper BACK/HEAD STAMP: None TRUSS ROD: Adjustable HEELCAP: White Boltaron NUT: White Corian ON ANGLE/FLAT: Flat HEADPLATE: East Indian Rosewood HEADPLATE DECAL: Raised Gold Foil HEADPLATE BIND: None HEADPLATE INLAY: None HEADPLATE PEARL: None ADDITIONAL HP INLAY: None TUNING MACHINES: Gotoh Gold w/ Small Knobs FINGERBOARD: Black Ebony RADIUS: 16'' SCALE LENGTH: 25.4'' WIDTH AT NUT: 1 11/16'' WIDTH AT 12 FRET: 2 1/8'' FRETS CLEAR: 14 TOTAL FRETS: 20 FINGERBOARD BIND: None FINGERBOARD INLAY: None PEARL INLAY: Style 28 ADDITIONAL FB INLAY: None SIDE DOTS: White Boltaron SIDE DOT POSITION: One at 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, Two at 12th, One at 15th & 17th Frets FINISH TYPE: Gloss/Satin Neck FINISH BODY: Gloss, Dark Filler FINISH TOP: Gloss / Clear FINISH NECK: Satin/ Dark Mahogany Stain/ Dark Filler BRIDGE: Black Ebony STYLE: 1 Style Belly PEARL INLAY: None ADDITIONAL BR INLAY: None STRING SPACING: 2 1/8'' SADDLE: 16'' Radius/Compensated/White Tusq ELECTRONICS: None STRAP BUTTON: None STRINGS: MSP 4200 Medium Phosphor Bronze BRIDGE PINS: White w/ Black Dots END PIN: White w/ Black Dot

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Those MMV  that I saw in GC used to fool me, thinking they were D28

They are nice guitars, have you had yours set up by some one who knows what there doing.

Play ability may be to your liking after a good set up.

Save your penny's and try the standards and above models of Gibson and other builders   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philfish said:

Those MMV  that I saw in GC used to fool me, thinking they were D28

They are nice guitars, have you had yours set up by some one who knows what there doing.

Play ability may be to your liking after a good set up.

Save your penny's and try the standards and above models of Gibson and other builders   

Yeah any new Martin comes complete with sky high action. If not set up, that is the first step and do not take it to GC for it. They are on a schedule and do them as fast as they can while the man watches over them.

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you sell it back or try to trade it to GC even though you bought it there it is there job to get used gear at the lowest price and jack it up to sell. You would do much better on Reverb (which used to be a much better site than it is not to sell gear on), or sell it on your own locally to someone, then all the cash goes to you. Not sure if you ever used reverb or not but they take 5% of each sale. I think before Etsy bought them it was 2.5%. ..........

I’ve been downsizing and have sold more than 30 guitars this past year. Reverb is not what it used to be. Their rate is 7.5% plus their discounted shipping is not that great and their own insurance is high. It will be closer to 10% by the time they get done. EBay has lowered their rates. You will be between 6% to 7.5% when you’re done with better shipping discounts and better insurance via the shipping service plus they have a limit in fees on the higher priced items. Local sales are always more profitable.

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

I’ve been downsizing and have sold more than 30 guitars this past year. Reverb is not what it used to be. Their rate is 7.5% plus their discounted shipping is not that great and their own insurance is high. It will be closer to 10% by the time they get done. EBay has lowered their rates. You will be between 6% to 7.5% when you’re done with better shipping discounts and better insurance via the shipping service plus they have a limit in fees on the higher priced items. Local sales are always more profitable.

Yeah when I traded/sold my D-41 recently, I found a guy who and we traded and he also gave me cash too. We connected on Reverb and then went behind their back and did the deal and Reverb got none of our cash. You are not supposed to trade on Reverb. They want to you buy each others guitars . .  yeah I'm stupid Reverb, that is because then you would have made money one two sales. 

Reverb also states you have to sell a guitar for what its worth. They say you can't sell a $1000 guitar for $1. Its my guitar and if I want to sell it for $5 I will . . . once again Reverb wants to sell it for as much as you can so they get more of the %. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 3/26/2021 at 9:31 AM, philfish said:

It's a Martin MMV made for guitar center

That is what I found out. Would buying from GC be a deturrent to buying a sustainable Gibson? GC hires may not be as helpful in choosing as the players here. 

2 hours ago, Tascosa said:

That is what I found out. Would buying from GC be a deturrent to buying a sustainable Gibson? GC hires may not be as helpful in choosing as the players here. 

Remember at GC you are dealing with sales people. They may play guitar, but who knows. It's like a car dealership, they are there to sell you something.

Tascosa

Look at my post from 3-28 yesterday

Educating your self is always best, this form and others are good ways to do this. It takes time. And you will learn which advice is good

We also don,t know how you want to use the guitar. as in are you a singer and accompany your self, also how long have you been playing

On 3/24/2021 at 1:49 AM, dhanners623 said:

Anybody can own a Martin. It takes someone special to own a Gibson.

Even in this hotbed of Gibsonophilic hyperbole this stands out as outlandish nonsense.

And what is even more outrageous, is that none of the invitees to the party have taken the time to call this person on it. 

RBSinTo

22 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Even in this hotbed of Gibsonophilic hyperbole this stands out as outlandish nonsense.

And what is even more outrageous, is that none of the invitees to the party have taken the time to call this person on it. 

RBSinTo

I think anyone can own a Gibson too. I have had many in my life time in a bunch of different flavors (J-15, Explorer, ES-225TD, LP's, SG's, and a BB King.). Now I guess I must be considered special, and maybe since I've had more than a few, I might even be super special.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper