Gibson Brands Forums

Tascosa

Tascosa

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think anyone can own a Gibson too. I have had many in my life time in a bunch of different flavors (J-15, Explorer, ES-3225TD, LP's, SG's, and a BB King.). Now I guess I must be considered special, and maybe since I've had more than a few, I might even be super special.

Chief,

We both own Martin's, so that tends to pollute any specialosity (speciality? specialness?) which we might have acquired by owning Gibson's. So no, I Don't think we have the instrumental purity required by the invitees to be considered "special".

RBSinTo

16 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Even in this hotbed of Gibsonophilic hyperbole this stands out as outlandish nonsense.

And what is even more outrageous, is that none of the invitees to the party have taken the time to call this person on it. 

RBSinTo

Sorry, RBSin,  We forgot to wish you a happy One Year Anniversary on your joining the forum.    Dhanner has been here a bit longer and is tenured.   So, like in Academia, he has latitude.    Sad to hear that you think those who post here are outrageous,  but's not our job to call out people who say things you don't like.

If you don't like being in a ''hotbed of Gibsonophilic hyperbole'',   feel free to leave.   Or was that hyperbole? 

16 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

We both own Martin's, so that tends to pollute any specialosity (speciality? specialness?) which we might have acquired by owning Gibson's. So no, I Don't think we have the instrumental purity required by the invitees to be considered "special".

RBSinTo

Thanks for providing the laugh of the day. Yes, of course anyone with the money can buy a Gibson. But until Gibson matches Martin's production numbers and ubiquity, they will still pretty much be an acquired taste that you have to search out. In the U.S. and abroad, I can walk into quite a few guitar shops and try out several different models of new Martins. But I can probably count on one hand the number of shops I've walked into with a row of new Gibsons hanging on the wall. Trying buying a new Gibson online at Elderly.

That's not a knock on Martin; I've owned three, as best I can recall, and they were good guitars. But I concluded that for what I want to play, the sound I want comes from a Gibson slope. And finding the right one usually takes some searching. There are a lot of players who don't want to expend that kind of energy, hence my original comment.

3 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

...And finding the right one usually takes some searching. There are a lot of players who don't want to expend that kind of energy...

Or they have and it wasn't worth it.

rct