Gibson Brands Forums

Need a good book for scales & modes

iSoto

I think the title says it all. I found some useful stuff on this site, but there's some stuff that I don't understand. Can anyone recommend a good book on scales and modes (Major & Natural Minor scales, the 7 modes, Harmonic Minor modes etc) that doesn't require knowledge of extreme theory? Or should I go to a music school and get all my questions straightened out by a teacher?

One love stars

I like this one because it explains a lot of music theory in terms of the guitar. Scales are covered, but not in depth:

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Theory-Guitarists-Everything-Wanted/dp/063406651X/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238180689&sr=8-5

This is the one I refer to when I want to learn a new scale, but the text is practically useless. It doesn't explain anything. But the diagrams are very helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Scale-Book-Troy-Stetina/dp/0793597889/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238180689&sr=8-1

I think the title says it all. I found some useful stuff on this site' date=' but there's some stuff that I don't understand. Can anyone recommend a good book on scales and modes (Major & Natural Minor scales, the 7 modes, Harmonic Minor modes etc) that doesn't require knowledge of extreme theory? Or should I go to a music school and get all my questions straightened out by a teacher?

One love stars[/quote']

"Mary Had A Damn Nerve" is a mnemonic I use to help me remember how the most frequently occurring minors (in the music I play) vary from the major scale.

Melodic - b3

Harmonic - b3 and b6

Dorian b3 and b7 (second degree of major scale)

Natural b3, b6 and b7 (or Aeolian - sixth degree of major scale)

ISoto, it really depends on what you want to do with your knowledge of scales and what music you are playing.

A teacher can explain about harmonising them and then analysing chord progressions so that you can work out the tone centre and improvise using the most appropriate scale in ways that sound more interesting, such as kicking off your phrases using the 3rd, 7th or 9th. This kind of stuff is a major aspect of studying jazz but is transferable to any other genre where improvisation is required.

RN

Thank you guys for all your replies. I have to say that I always wanted to learn some basic (and some more advanced) stuff about music theory. I always believed that theory is a necessary tool (whether you're studying math, physics, music), if you want to be free and have only you're imagination to limit you (something that may not always apply to either math or physics). The thing is that I started out almost all by myself, having my best friend to answer any questions I had. I'm way too impatient to work with a teacher, and that's why I haven't taken any lessons so far.

@RudyH: I was browsing the book section on amazon earlier today, and I happened to come across the book you recommended about music theory for guitar. Now that I see that someone is actually recommending this book (so they are happy with it), I'm almost sure I'm going to order it.

@Robin Nahum: I don't know about Mary, but I really have a weird thing with scales. I'm fairly certain that I don't understand exactly the way they work. I have no problem remembering the names and order of the modes, but I don't understand how keys and intervals work.

Today I found the circle of fifths on wikipedia, I thought I was making some progress but nothing. Still stuck on the same stupid place that I can't even explain. In my mind (my mom told me I have one) I know what I don't understand, but it's so freakin' hard to explain it to other people.

Btw, I'm mainly interested in some sort of neo-classical/fusion/shred kind of music and it seems that all the famous virtuosi guitarists know loads of music theory, and... I don't really remember what my point was... :-s

Anyways, again thank you for all your helpful replies, I'm going back to my SG and my sweep picking (if you can call what I try to do sweep picking).

One love stars

I thought I was making some progress but nothing. Still stuck on the same stupid place that I can't even explain.

This stuff isn't necessarily easy to find your way through and understand.

Find a private teacher who plays and teaches jazz guitar.

Tell him or her that not only do you want to learn about scales but you're also impatient. The right teacher will work with you to agree some meaningful targets.

I would make sure that the teacher is suitably qualified and has an orderly, well-resourced approach, and not somebody who has just picked up bits and pieces along the way.

RN

Blues Guitar for Dummies by Jon Chappell. Very understandable, the examples are notated, tabbed and there is a Cd that you can hear all the examples as well....

How to Play Classic Jazz Guitar by Michael Lydon.... Good for a beginner or seasoned musician.... Also comes with CD

Ask Are Nine politely, and he may get your email and send you his most excellent spreadsheet... which is an excellent resource for learning scales and modes.

Can't beat the price.

(and thanks again, Tim. You STILL rock!)

Archived