Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Inspired by Gibson Hummingbird

MorrisrownSal

Very nice Sal.  Obviously something that punches well above it's price point like just like many of the newer guitars from Epiphone

If I didn't need another acoustic like I needed a hole in the head, I'd be tempted.   

BTW, just curious is there any factory installed pickup in that one?  Fishman Sonicore maybe?

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

Anne   it does.  It's early, but I have slowed down a lot. I fully anticipate this sticking around. If it ends up not being my favorite guitar (it never would have been), it will still then hang at the beach. I sold off a ton of gear and have three acoustics - my J45-TV, this "Bird", and a Martin 15 series. At one point I had 8 acoustics - 6 of them premium.

Right now I want to perfect a better way of having a good way to record. I was using an ApogeeMiC... bt maybe when I get a dedicated space in my house back to set up a "me place", I might want to set up a set two mic setup... one for the guitar one for vocals. We'll see. The last 5 or so recording I did were simply on a macbook with its internal mic.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

Anne   it does.  It's early, but I have slowed down a lot. I fully anticipate this sticking around. If it ends up not being my favorite guitar (it never would have been), it will still then hang at the beach. I sold off a ton of gear and have three acoustics - my J45-TV, this "Bird", and a Martin 15 series. At one point I had 8 acoustics - 6 of them premium.

Right now I want to perfect a better way of having a good way to record. I was using an ApogeeMiC... bt maybe when I get a dedicated space in my house back to set up a "me place", I might want to set up a set two mic setup... one for the guitar one for vocals. We'll see. The last 5 or so recording I did were simply on a macbook with its internal mic.

The 000 Martin flew away too ? 😮🤯

No.. it’s the 00-15. I have it.  My D15 is busted now.  It’s in a case under the bed with a giant crack. Strings are off, and it’s sentimentally still here. Just not played anymore.  Retired if you will. It has my kids names on it so I can’t bring myself to junk it.

I have the j45, the 00-15, and the “bird”....  electric and amps gone too,

Edited by Salfromchatham

I’ve been really digging into the guitar. Tomorrow I plan to record something... but it’s essence is that it is an easy playing warm strumming guitar. It sounds more mellow than it’s Bozeman counterparts. I’ve played some really wonderful Bozeman squares... and they all sound jangly, dry, crisp... beautiful. This guitar is all that with a little treble taken off. It’s like what a Martin D15 is to a Martin D18. By the way I love D15s.

in a few weeks I plan on getting a good setup... lower nut slots... new saddle lower action... take out the pickup... I’m excited about this addition.

2 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

I’ve been really digging into the guitar. Tomorrow I plan to record something... but it’s essence is that it is an easy playing warm strumming guitar. It sounds more mellow than it’s Bozeman counterparts. I’ve played some really wonderful Bozeman squares... and they all sound jangly, dry, crisp... beautiful. This guitar is all that with a little treble taken off. It’s like what a Martin D15 is to a Martin D18. By the way I love D15s.

in a few weeks I plan on getting a good setup... lower nut slots... new saddle lower action... take out the pickup... I’m excited about this addition.

Good for you ^ and a bit of a paradox that you may have found the right Bird in a parallel-model.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            But let's see, , , weeks, months, years go by - and lust for guitars - like guitars themselves - can be a wheel of fortune.  Clinngg it says - and there lands the real deal again. .  

2 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

On my Indonesia-made  flat top Epiphones I’ve swapped in a much tighter fitting, more dense, and better angle saddle.   Course I’ve also done the same on my Gibsons, but, the Indonesia-made Epiphones seem to response more so to a tighter fitting, more dense, and better angle saddle.   Whether it be bone or an expensive tusq saddle.  I’ve used both, although presently I favor the expensive tusq saddle.   Haven’t changed the nuts.  But, I use a Fishman Humbucker Soundhole pickup rather than the built in pickup in mine.  Although, I’ve left the factory piezo in place as a back to the soundhole pickup as a backup in case I forget to change the battery in the sound hole pickup when I’m gigging.  The sole reason I left the factory one in.  Not too impressed with the built in pickup, they had to cut corners somewhere so guess, and the less dense saddle and pickup seems to be it.  But, those as you know are easy things to shore up.

BTW, I find gigging with my Epiphones to be a good experience.   It’s amazing how many other real people players have these things and I don’t need to worry about it’s safekeeping or if I travel on an airplane with it, like with my Gibsons.  Or, if people only like my high priced guitar when I’m gigging.  Traveling with it is great, too.    It’s like a feeling that the music I produce has to stand on its own merits bot what guitar I’m playing.  Provided I like the instrument I’m playing, of course.   And, of course, 99.5% of audience members don’t really know the difference of what guitar brand I am playing at gigs....realistically., so it really is whatever instrument works for me.  A nice feeling....after being brand conscious for way too long., but I guess I had to be until modern times.

Pre-pandemic when my bi-monthly jam use to take place, I began to notice a number of players buying more and more Indonesia-made  Epiphones and proudly playing then.  A number of them also owned Gibsons and Martins.  And, I noticed younger players proudly playing the Epiphones and sounding darn good on them.  Made me realize a number of them were happy players with what they had, too.  It felt good to relate to them as an older player.

Realistically. I now consider myself a Gibson and Epiphone player.  I like both brands!  They are not equal brands, but both are great to play in their own way, in my book.  

Let us know how the changes you mention affect the instrument.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Sounds gorgeous, Sal...these have intrigued me. Likewise the Frontier and Excellente reissues...particularly the Frontier as I’ve lusted after one for 20yrs+ after playing an original one. 

I recently played the Sigma Hummingbird which was exceptional. I considered it, but ended up with the little Sigma CF-100 copy which is a great instrument too, and was a little more what I was after size wise. I think it’s fantastic that Epi have created the IBG range, if they bring out an L-00, LG or J185 I will be first in the queue!