Gibson Brands Forums

This arrived this morning a Collings 002H - 14 Fret.  It is almost identical appointment wise to my Collings Dread, but the main difference is this has a 24 7/8 scale length.  The neck profile is the same (V) but that 5/8 shorter scale make a huge difference for me.  Also uses a little lighter gauge strings so less tension and a lot easier to play.  The other differences are that my Dread has a German Spruce top and Adirondack braces with no tongue brace (a canon volumwise) whereas this little guy has a Sitka top and braces with a tongue brace.  Both are Rosewood back and sides with herringbone purfling,  Ebony fingerboard and bridge, bone nut and saddle.  Typical Collings perfect fit and finish as well as spot on intonation right out of the box.  The tone is of course somewhat different with the smaller volume of air moving, but for a smaller body guitar it has a really nice rich tone and very balanced sound.  Only had it a couple hours, but pretty sure it's a keeper.  Now I have to run to the music shop and pick up a strap button forgot to ask seller to put one on.

RBQ6s9m.jpgAvieYJI.jpgetovu92.jpgTEgqLiW.jpg

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very nice.  Congrats.  I’m envious.

I’m looking forward to this COVID fiasco being over so I can take my grandson for a tour of the Collings factory.  Not far from where I live.

I was in Laguna Beach one day at The Guitar Shoppe & played a Collings Dreadnought just before the Pandemic.. I also played a similar size recent Guild USA 6 string & a D-45...  I’d hoped to play a J-200E but they didn’t have any. I was hard pressed to choose a winner. All of them were fantastic...

Congrats on your new Collings & enjoy.. Very fine Guitar!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I was in Laguna Beach one day at The Guitar Shoppe & played a Collings Dreadnought just before the Pandemic.. I also played a similar size recent Guild USA 6 string & a D-45...  I’d hoped to play a J-200E but they didn’t have any. I was hard pressed to choose a winner. All of them were fantastic...

I’ve been there a few times. Cool little shop but kinda pricey 

I bash at Collingses.  Collingsii.  Whenever I am at Cream City out in Milwaukee WI, which isn't often enough these days.  They are really nice guitars and someday I might throw down for one.  Maybe.

rct

I really like them.  They are modeled after Martins I think down to the herringbone purfling.  They feature a volute if you like that sort of thing.  But for me a guitar is all about the sound and I've found Collings to be very articulate and detailed with nice even tone and volume across the strings.

This new smaller one I have been playing for a couple days now and I really enjoy the easy playablity compared to my dreadnoughts.  But I have found I needed to lighten up a little on the touch.  I've always had a pretty light touch but over the past year  have been playing acoustic dread 95% of the time and gradually got to digging in harder to get volume and tone from the guitars.  This one sounds best if I back off.

I looked around for one of these and didn't find any.  The closest dealer to me is almost a 3 hour drive up near Charlotte NC so I called him and inquired about ordering one.  He said Collings is running about 8 or 9 months to fill a new order right now.  I was about to send him a deposit check when I stumbled across this one listed on Reverb by a shop out in Tuscon so I ordered it.  Otherwise I'd have been  holding my breath until Nov. or Dec. 

I guess it's mine now, might as well register it with Collings.  I found a strap button yesterday in my parts bin that I figured would work so drilled a hole (position 5) in the neck and installed it.  No going back now.  Here is a family shot D2HG on the right and his little brother 002H on the left:

Lwd8pSs.jpg

Edited by Twang Gang
grammer
  • Like 2

On 3/26/2021 at 12:41 AM, Larsongs said:

The wife and I vacation in laguna Beach..I know that Shop....That was the first place I saw a Waterloo..intersting place they have the old guy(Can't remember his name I think it was Sands) building guitars in the back.

It’s a cool little Shoppe! They always have a great selection of upscale Guitars... And it’s at the Beach! 

I’m going there April 12 for a week.. First time in over a year I’ve been to the Beach.. I usually go at least once or twice a month.. Really looking forward to the trip...

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 12:50 PM, Twang Gang said:

I really like them.  They are modeled after Martins I think down to the herringbone purfling.  They feature a volute if you like that sort of thing.  But for me a guitar is all about the sound and I've found Collings to be very articulate and detailed with nice even tone and volume across the strings.

This new smaller one I have been playing for a couple days now and I really enjoy the easy playablity compared to my dreadnoughts.  But I have found I needed to lighten up a little on the touch.  I've always had a pretty light touch but over the past year  have been playing acoustic dread 95% of the time and gradually got to digging in harder to get volume and tone from the guitars.  This one sounds best if I back off.

I looked around for one of these and didn't find any.  The closest dealer to me is almost a 3 hour drive up near Charlotte NC so I called him and inquired about ordering one.  He said Collings is running about 8 or 9 months to fill a new order right now.  I was about to send him a deposit check when I stumbled across this one listed on Reverb by a shop out in Tuscon so I ordered it.  Otherwise I'd have been  holding my breath until Nov. or Dec. 

I guess it's mine now, might as well register it with Collings.  I found a strap button yesterday in my parts bin that I figured would work so drilled a hole (position 5) in the neck and installed it.  No going back now.  Here is a family shot D2HG on the right and his little brother 002H on the left:

Lwd8pSs.jpg

Like them both but the right one better. At least for me, Congrats.