Gibson Brands Forums

Had to have a go at I Remember Everything

AnneS

Poignancy and sorrow aside (as if!) for this being the last song John Prine recorded, I think it is quite the gem. I’ve been listening closely over the last day or two, trying to feel out the nuance and simplicity that make it so. And for the first time in more than a year, I was compelled to actually pick up a guitar for more than 5 minutes. (I’ve been well—just very absent from my musical self. Maybe I’m not alone in this?)

I’m sharing a take I did just now, not because it’s so special, but as a way of stepping back into our little circle and saying “Hey...” 

Time has been unforgiving on my old, unpracticed voice, so I have lots of work ahead. Still, it’s about the song. And feeling the fire to get it to sit just right—or as right as I can for now. This is the part I’ve missed over this last year, and I’m relieved to see a return.

Also, this is the first sound I’ve shared from the 2015 30’s style L-00 I bought last fall. (I think it sounds a little sleepy here, but I just sprung it from its humidified case where it’s been for the winter. We both need to wake up some.) 

If you’re interested...

https://song.space/2pt68e

Recorded w/iPhone, not one shred of added anything. (Except the timely roll of thunder—if I had planned to add that effect, I woulda put it right there.)

• Like 4

Welcome back, Anne! 

This was perfect. What a great cover. You do it perfectly! This is what acoustic music is about, and the tiny “imperfections” in your voice just make it all the more human and real. I wouldn't change a thing.

Lars

Anne, this totally caught me off guard this morning and I’m unashamed to say I shed a tear or two. A beautiful rendition, really tender and heartfelt. I miss JP immensely, and was really torn up by his passing. His music has soundtracked so much of my life and his beauty and elegant economy as a writer has been something I have striven for since I first started putting songs together.

The L-00 sounds great too!

Wow...thank you, all.

As the earth comes full circle since Mr. Prine last rode along with us, what we lost—and what he gave us all those other years—continue to haunt and amaze. 

What a world, eh? Lots to ponder, guitars in hand, as we ride this rock together. 

Grateful to be here, and grateful, too, for those of you who survived some very close calls, health- and otherwise.

We’ve all been down this road before...

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 12:09 PM, AnneS said:

Poignancy and sorrow aside (as if!) for this being the last song John Prine recorded, I think it is quite the gem. I’ve been listening closely over the last day or two, trying to feel out the nuance and simplicity that make it so. And for the first time in more than a year, I was compelled to actually pick up a guitar for more than 5 minutes. (I’ve been well—just very absent from my musical self. Maybe I’m not alone in this?)

I’m sharing a take I did just now, not because it’s so special, but as a way of stepping back into our little circle and saying “Hey...” 

Time has been unforgiving on my old, unpracticed voice, so I have lots of work ahead. Still, it’s about the song. And feeling the fire to get it to sit just right—or as right as I can for now. This is the part I’ve missed over this last year, and I’m relieved to see a return.

Also, this is the first sound I’ve shared from the 2015 30’s style L-00 I bought last fall. (I think it sounds a little sleepy here, but I just sprung it from its humidified case where it’s been for the winter. We both need to wake up some.) 

If you’re interested...

https://song.space/2pt68e

Recorded w/iPhone, not one shred of added anything. (Except the timely roll of thunder—if I had planned to add that effect, I woulda put it right there.)

A GREAT job, Anne!   Brings a lump to my throat.    I also recorded a version right after John passed.  

20 hours ago, AnneS said:

Nice, Rob! That’s a beautiful ‘bird, too. 👍🏻

I wish I had as pleasant a voice as you have!    The 'Bird was Leslie's....she was generous enough to let me have her a few years ago.

I simply LOVE it   Not just the nicest playing 12-String I've ever picked up, but it's as easy to play as a high-end 6-String!

I had actually put several John Prine songs together prior to his passing.... He was truly one of the greats!