Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird sustainable

Tascosa

Depends on the guitar. It’s not uncommon in vintage guitars. The seam separating below the bridge is not uncommon on newer guitars. Cracks on newer guitars (not seam separations) is usually a sign of an accident or lack of care which may include some hidden problems. As long as you can check it out, know what you’re looking for , like it and the price is right, go for it knowing it will be a difficult sale if you ever decide to move it. Pictures could help us help you. 

Edited by Dave F

Depends on the crack.  Things like humidity cracks usually do not impact the structure of the guitar and a good repair amounts to a luthier shoring the crack up a bit underneath so it can’t spread.  That’s the main thing.  Such repairs are not usually costly.  If you start getting into cosmetically repairing the crack like it was never there, that can get to be more expensive.  But, it all depends on the type of the crack and whether it effects the guitar’s structural integrity or not...as should any decision to buy or not purchase it.  (And, of course if it’ll drive you crazy because of the crack, I suggest passing.)

Naturally a guitar is no longer mint if it has a crack, so the price should be reduced.  It, of course, also depends on if it’s an actual collectible vintage guitar or a used (utility) guitar.  In the collectible vintage guitar world, there is a difference.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

Unless it had been professionally repaired and was 100% stable, never. Even then, I would have to be head over heels in love with the guitar in question.

I need my guitars to be 100% dependable as they’re working instruments...I’ve never bought a guitar with a cracked anything, and I don’t think I ever would. Feels too much like buying potential trouble.

• Like 1

You buy a guitar that needs repairing. I won't. No neck brake, no cracked top, no no no. Its your money. If you think saving a few bucks is gonna get you a great guitar buy it. Like rct said there are a dozen guitars that are not broken vs  the ones that are. You are buying someone else's problem.

• Like 1

As you might have figured out it really depends on where the crack is and what you can make out as to what caused it.  So say cracks running down from the edge of the fingerboard to the soundhole will get a whole lot of red flags to waving.  But other than that, I do not usually find it  a big deal.   It is a cheap repair and when somebody who knows what they are doing gets at it you would be hard pressed to even see where the crack was.  Then again, I own a guitar which has been nicknamed Cletus due to the number of cleats it took to stabilize the thing.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

Like RCT said -  Life is too short to buy damaged goods.      

That said - your question is sort of vague - what kind of crack,  what price?  To keep or to flip or as a beater?   There's another thread on the new, really nice Epi MasterBuilt H'Birds.  I'd buy one of those way before a cracked Gibson Sustainable. 

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Like RCT said -  Life is too short to buy damaged goods.      

That said - your question is sort of vague - what kind of crack,  what price?  To keep or to flip or as a beater?   There's another thread on the new, really nice Epi MasterBuilt H'Birds.  I'd buy one of those way before a cracked Gibson Sustainable. 

It was just a question! Looks like I unleashed some terrible thoughts. I will be more [ carefull] with mty posts and so desinate as a questanable question. Hope none had a heartatack! sorry 

I dunno, if I liked it I just might.  But, I own a D41 with a humidity crack that breaks my heart every time I pick it up to play.  99 and 44/100s % of persons would have repaired or had it repaired by now.  I never have done so for one reason or another.  Very ugly as a result of my irresponsibility to the instrument.  Sounds beautiful still!  But, hard to look at for more than a second or two!  That's what my girlfriends all said about me.

24 minutes ago, Hall said:

I dunno, if I liked it I just might.  But, I own a D41 with a humidity crack that breaks my heart every time I pick it up to play.  99 and 44/100s % of persons would have repaired or had it repaired by now.  I never have done so for one reason or another.  Very ugly as a result of my irresponsibility to the instrument.  Sounds beautiful still!  But, hard to look at for more than a second or two!  That's what my girlfriends all said about me.

It was just a question. When I called GC in Albq. ,they said to have 3 and 2 with top cracks. It made me wonder why a pro shop ,properly humidified would keep those on hand. Thier situation may make it harder to return to Gibson and hoping to sell as is. An unusual situation.  I agree why buy a problem unless you need a beater for your garage studio while watching paint dry. 

19 hours ago, Tascosa said:

It was just a question. When I called GC in Albq. ,they said to have 3 and 2 with top cracks. It made me wonder why a pro shop ,properly humidified would keep those on hand. Thier situation may make it harder to return to Gibson and hoping to sell as is. An unusual situation.  I agree why buy a problem unless you need a beater for your garage studio while watching paint dry. 

No harm done.  

Ok.  More better info:   I assume GC is selling these cracked H'Birds as  "Not New".   Damaged New without a warranty.   Usually, when a company is selling 'scratched and dented'   or 'Loaner Car",  they don't hardly take anything off the price.  Remember - the price you'd pay for a new, unblemished Gibson Acoustic would be approximately 20% less than the official Gibson list price.   So - if GC 'discounts' the guitar with a crack at 25% off that -  you're getting screwed.  I'd want 50% off.    Like you said - "Why buy a problem, unless you are in the market for a beater."   G'Luck !