Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone ?

Brian Thomas

1 hour ago, Brian Thomas said:

By chance did anyone on here buy a Ace Frehley Les Paul new , back in 97 or 98 ?

I was wondering what came with it .

I have the correct case and wrench.

That is it .

Any help would be appreciated. 

Maybe some blow.

Guitar God is a KISS nut. I bet he may know. Not sure if he as one.

Brian -- I know something about those guitars.  There were three flavors: a limited edition of 300 Custom Shop, a Gibson USA, and an Epiphone.  These guitars were all very cool.  This is one of the few signature guitars to be made in all three lines.  Additionally, there was a significant fraudulent line out of China too.  Give me some info on what you got (model and year) preferably with some pics of it (of the headstock especially, front and back), and we will hook you up on  what case candy you should have.  Additionally, we can likely authenticate as real or not.  Let us know, bro.

subastan-guitarra-Ace-Frehley.jpg

Edited by 01GT eibach

Your guitar is Gibson USA (not a CS).  The three lines started build in Aug/1997.  I believe the Gibson-USA line concluded in 2001, and the Epiphone in 2005 (not sure about the CS).  The Gibson-USA guitars have the black truss-rod cover, black plastics on back of guitar body (the CS has metal), Grover tuning machines, and Nashville bridge.   All three pickups were supposed to be Dimarzio Super Distortions but Dimarzio had capacity problems, so some guitars got other pickups (it is a good idea to make sure you got SDs).  They came in a black tolex case with a very cool blue interior and "Ace Frehley" shroud.  For the 1997 models, they came with a special limited run t-shirt.  For the 1998 models, they came with the "Ace Frehley Power Pack" which included 6 packs of his new Gibson signature strings, an Ace Frehley signature lightning-bolt guitar strap, 2 Gibson Ace Frehley guitar picks, the 1998 Gibson catalog, and a copy of Kiss' 1998 album Psych Circus.  This was to be in promotion of with Ace's participation on the 1998 Kiss tour, I believe.  Nothing extra came with the 1999+ Gibson USA guitars.

http://www.acefrehleylespaul.com/Promo_poster__97a.jpg 

Edited by 01GT eibach

Posting a few of your pics directly. Awesome guitars, and definitely legit.  The Chinese fakes ones had screwed up alignment of the pickups, mis-shapened headstocks, and the headstock logo and Ace image way too low (among the other more usual Chinese Les Paul mistakes).  The Gibson USA model did not come with a pickguard (unlike the CS one).  So likely someone added the pickguard to your guitar (a good addition ... who has ever seen Ace play a Les Paul without a pickguard?)

Wxr5Ivj.jpeg

8ll9zzn.jpg

BNjk1ab.jpg

frehley1.jpg?w=600&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

1 hour ago, 01GT eibach said:

Your guitar is Gibson USA (not a CS).  The three lines started build in Aug/1997.  I believe the Gibson-USA line concluded in 2001, and the Epiphone in 2005 (not sure about the CS).  The Gibson-USA guitars have the black truss-rod cover, black plastics on back of guitar body (the CS has metal), Grover tuning machines, and Nashville bridge.   All three pickups were supposed to be Dimarzio Super Distortions but Dimarzio had capacity problems, so some guitars got other pickups (it is a good idea to make sure you got SDs).  They came in a black tolex case with a very cool blue interior and "Ace Frehley" shroud.  For the 1997 models, they came with a special limited run t-shirt.  For the 1998 models, they came with the "Ace Frehley Power Pack" which included 6 packs of his new Gibson signature strings, an Ace Frehley signature lightning-bolt guitar strap, 2 Gibson Ace Frehley guitar picks, the 1998 Gibson catalog, and a copy of Kiss' 1998 album Psych Circus.  This was to be in promotion of with Ace's participation on the 1998 Kiss tour, I believe.  Nothing extra came with the 1999+ Gibson USA guitars.

http://www.acefrehleylespaul.com/Promo_poster__97a.jpg 

I have a new set of the strings .

I also have the red and black Lightening bolt strap. 

I have the correct case with shroud .

I need to get the catalog and the Pre check lists (not filled out).