Gibson Brands Forums

How do you want to go?

sparquelito

6 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

He passed-away on a Sunday morning while watching the Western Channel on TV. 

Sorry for your loss. But that sounds like a pretty bad-a s s way to go! 

Edited by Pinch

On 4/4/2021 at 12:11 AM, MissouriPicker said:

If I could choose, it would be something similar to my dad’s passing.  He was 5 weeks from his 97th birthday, living in his own home, still sharp-as-a-tack and content.  He passed-away on a Sunday morning while watching the Western Channel on TV.  He loved watching Gunsmoke and John Wayne movies.  It was a massive stroke and he simply went to sleep.  He often said he didn’t want to spend weeks in a hospital and then linger for months in a nursing home.  He wanted to die in his own home and he pretty much went how he wanted it.  BTW, he’ll be gone one year on Monday, April 5.

That would be my choice.  If we could all be so lucky.  Thanks, MP.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I want to die in my sleep, like my grandfather.

And not screaming like the passengers in his car.

(rim shot please)

Actually I'd like to be aware of my last moments, but I wouldn't want a lot of pain or violence involved.  I know what I don't want, but don't know what I want.

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

I want to die in my sleep, like my grandfather.

And not screaming like the passengers in his car.

(rim shot please)

Actually I'd like to be aware of my last moments, but I wouldn't want a lot of pain or violence involved.  I know what I don't want, but don't know what I want.

Well if you get cancer, they keep you stoned in the hospital til you die or OD you. Usually OD you. Been my experience for any of my family who had it. 

• Confused 1

On 4/4/2021 at 12:11 AM, MissouriPicker said:

If I could choose, it would be something similar to my dad’s passing.  He was 5 weeks from his 97th birthday, living in his own home, still sharp-as-a-tack and content.  He passed-away on a Sunday morning while watching the Western Channel on TV.  He loved watching Gunsmoke and John Wayne movies.  It was a massive stroke and he simply went to sleep.  He often said he didn’t want to spend weeks in a hospital and then linger for months in a nursing home.  He wanted to die in his own home and he pretty much went how he wanted it.  BTW, he’ll be gone one year on Monday, April 5.

Wow, that seems a good way to go to be honest. Sorry for your loss but I also love watching westerns. In fact i'm teased about it that because I watch so many. Its about all thats good on anymore to watch all the old reruns of John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Tom Selleck and the rest. Gee maybe the good Lord will take me the same way? LOL

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 8:22 AM, fortyearspickn said:

That would be my choice.  If we could all be so lucky.  Thanks, MP.

Seems like I have a stalker with a penchant for sad face emojis.  Picked up several yesterday.   Someone has too much time on their hands.  Might be therapeutic if you spent the time Playing Your Guitars.   😃

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Seems like I have a stalker with a penchant for sad face emojis.  Picked up several yesterday.   Someone has too much time on their hands.  Might be therapeutic if you spent the time Playing Your Guitars.   😃

I had 39 emojis this morning, somebody loves me,but they’re too shy to connect with me.

• Sad 1

It's been weird, as I've gotten older I think about how possibly little time I have left.

I had never thought about it before I hit 60, never thought of life as infinite but probably cheated death so many times over those 60 years and laughed but I know the road is getting shorter.   my wife hates I don't make real long term plans because I always say "you never know when your number comes up".  Kinda live it day by day.

I've pointed out stuff to my kid - "when I go grab this or that because it's worth something" - to save him some time.

Never been sick but last year I had a bad go with my gall bladder that put me in a hospital for a week.  First time ever having an operation.

I hope when it comes, no matter what it's a bit of a surprise and my last words are "oh ****".

Oh, and I'm not the emoji kid - for some reason I've never been able to leave one on this site (no "All Access" status)

4 minutes ago, nhwildbill said:

It's been weird, as I've gotten older I think about how possibly little time I have left.

I had never thought about it before I hit 60, never thought of life as infinite but probably cheated death so many times over those 60 years and laughed but I know the road is getting shorter.   my wife hates I don't make real long term plans because I always say "you never know when your number comes up".  Kinda live it day by day.

I've pointed out stuff to my kid - "when I go grab this or that because it's worth something" - to save him some time.

Never been sick but last year I had a bad go with my gall bladder that put me in a hospital for a week.  First time ever having an operation.

I hope when it comes, no matter what it's a bit of a surprise and my last words are "oh ****".

Oh, and I'm not the emoji kid - for some reason I've never been able to leave one on this site (no "All Access" status)

Since I’ve recently been diagnosed with pre diabetes and other maladies my youngest daughter has got me on a diet. If you don’t hear from me, I’ve starved to death.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Since I’ve recently been diagnosed with pre diabetes and other maladies my youngest daughter has got me on a diet. If you don’t hear from me, I’ve starved to death.

Well, I'd leave you the proper emoji but...

Good luck brother, we'll sneak you a doughnut once and a while best we can.
In a box marked "GIBSON PARTS"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I want the exact GPS co-ordinates of where the Chinese Rocket fell.  Chances of another one falling in the same exact place are infinitesimally immeasurable.  So - it's the safest place on earth   !!

The Chinese Manned Space Engineering office reports that it "landed in the Indian Ocean at a point 72.47° East and 2.65° North".

23 hours ago, sparquelito said:

The Chinese Manned Space Engineering office reports that it "landed in the Indian Ocean at a point 72.47° East and 2.65° North".

Not sure at this point, with so few years left on my burning candle - if I'm going to gamble and believe them. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 7:43 PM, Mr. Gibson said:

Well if you get cancer, they keep you stoned in the hospital til you die or OD you. Usually OD you. Been my experience for any of my family who had it. 

I would have been happy if they kept me stoned! I was in intensive care for a week after my surgery and I was screaming out in pain most of the time. It would come and leave,  The doctor walked in and flipped on the lights  and that would set off the pain. 

My father smoked two packs a day. He was a mailman so he walked a lot.  One certainly didn't cancel out the other but he was at least active. He went to a doctor's appointment in the fall of 1993 and came home with an oxygen tank. For the next 5-1/2 years it was in and out of the hospital. Oxygen, nebulizers, catheters, pills upon pills upon pills. He had to stop driving just about immediately. I still have his 1988 S-10 Blazer and drive it daily. Eventually he had to give up guitar. He gave me his Martin M-38 in 1994. He kept his J-100 and tried to play once in a while I have that now, still with the 1998 strings on it. He finally faded away in February of 1999. 

No thank you. 

I didn't even begin to grieve until 6 months after the fact. I was more relieved he was out of his misery to think about my own loss.

My wife began having chest pains in September of 2010.  Diagnosed with lung cancer in October and passed away January 6, 2011,  The last 3 or 4 weeks she was in constant pain and relied on me to rub a menthol cream onto her back a half dozen times a day, as it gave some relief. It peeled her skin like a sunburn. I also administered medicine several times a day in an embarrassing way. 

The last day was pumped full of morphine and unable to communicate. The last 15 minutes or so, she took one breath every 15 seconds. I was there when she took her last. 45 years old.

No thank you.

I still grieve. She had just enough time to realize what she was facing but not enough time to prepare.

My mother though....

91 years old, went to the grocery store, bought a few things, drove her bright red Chevy Cruze to the car wash, and halfway through she had a massive brain bleed. They had to go in and get her. She never regained consciousness and died less than 24 hours later. The doctor and nurses all told me she didn't feel a thing; it was like flipping a light switch. I'll go with that.

We don't have a choice, but man, that would be mine.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Retired said:

I would have been happy if they kept me stoned! I was in intensive care for a week after my surgery and I was screaming out in pain most of the time. It would come and leave,  The doctor walked in and flipped on the lights  and that would set off the pain. 

Luckily you were tough enough to make it. Thank God!

• Like 1

K'sD -  Many of us old timers here smoked.  And our parents.   It was a right of passage.  Same with Sun Bathing.  No such thing as UV protection.  Fancy, scented, dyed baby oil.   My Dad's good friend had bacon and eggs every morning for 30 years on the recommendation of his doctor.  Suddenly - he found out too late from his doctor that it was the worst thing he could have recommended. .  Died a couple of years later from it.   My wife (and I) were lucky. A brand new medical advancement advised her to get a chest X-ray because of her 40+ years smoking.  Found a spot. Very early - removed one of the 5 lung lobes. Complete cure.  Checkups every year in the 7 years since.   Pain and Happiness go hand in hand.  Only separated by time.  Birth, death,  Marriage, divorce or death.   It is only 'inner peace' that allows us to stay on an even keel.   ❤️