Gibson Brands Forums

Return guitar because I cannot change strings?

Violeiro

2 hours ago, Violeiro said:

This really bothers me.... I will try this. Fair?

I sold the guitar for $4750. I will get $250 return fee. Upon inspection and making sure all is 100% I will put for sale and pass the fee to the new buyer less $50, and the next buyer pays shipping.... so have the guitar for sale for $4550 and buyer pays shipping. 

Of course forum rules will apply but if buyer has remorse then buyer also pays shipping back.

Fair?

Fair is both ends hold up.  When I sell I have and am entitled to just as much of my expectations as the buyer.  I don't expect some tee watt to just up and change his 4500 dollar mind, put MY guitar through yet another dance with death at the hands of USPS/UPS/FEDEX, and insult me with some friggin have to change a string bee ess.

Seriously.  I wouldn't do a dang thing.  Product delivered as promised.  Your tale of can't change a string doesn't cut it in the return department at my shop.

rct

I agree w/RCT.   No where in the real world would someone be allowed a return for as ridiculous a reason as this.  "Tire Pressure is Low."   "Can't install batteries in the remote."

If he told you he wanted to return it  WITHIN your 2 day return policy - you are obligated to honor that.  First, ensuring he agrees with the re-stocking fee provision.

Otherwise -  it's  "Go pound sand."  

I  personally think he ordered it without his wife's permission.   But giving in just enables this type of behavior and  encourages the decay of the moral fabric of the world. 

• Like 1

I suspect, as it appears you do, that some type of some kind of buyers remorse issue is present here.   I know if I sold one of my guitars to someone, I’d want them to be happy with it, and not have the transaction be some kind of it’s all about only me transaction.   If the person contacted me and, after I tried to work through it a bit with them, and they still wanted to return it to me in good condition, all within a reasonable period of buyer’s remorse time with buyer’s remorse symptoms,  I think I’d  agree to just go ahead and refund their monies upon receiving the instrument back.  And, then I’d just try selling it, again.  It’s not enabling behavior, it’s accommodating a remorseful buyer where a win-win seller/buyer situation didn’t occur in my book.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

3 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

I suspect, as it appears you do, that some type of some kind of buyers remorse issue is present here.   I know if I sold one of my guitars to someone, I’d want them to be happy with it, and not have the transaction be some kind of it’s all about only me transaction.   If the person contacted me and, after I tried to work through it a bit with them, and they still wanted to return it to me in good condition, all within a reasonable period of buyer’s remorse time with buyer’s remorse symptoms,  I think I’d  agree to just go ahead and refund their monies upon receiving the instrument back.  And, then I’d just try selling it, again.  It’s not enabling behavior, it’s accommodating a remorseful buyer where a win-win seller/buyer situation didn’t occur in my book.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

I hear you. Part of me thinks like you, the other part is frustrated and want the buyer to go suck on lemon. 

It is a big thing to ship an expensive guitar. Also, nobody besides me ever touched the guitar as I bought new in the box, now I can no longer advertise as such. I will have to go get another card box to ship, I missed an opportunity to sell to another buyer within an hour or so of each other with the same offer....

I received the guitar this morning, absolutely nothing wrong with it. I shipped with light strings, he compared the sound of the strings against a Taylor, and then against his D42 (with medium strings), so of course they will sound different. So I gave him the option. I will send it back to him at his expense or he will give me 10%

I had a Les Paul I sold on EBay a couple months ago. A great looking Desert Burst standard. I had swapped out the pickups for some '57  plus, swapped out the tuners for some locking tuners, added a Bigsby  with a vibramate , swapped out the TOM for a roller bridge upgraded the case and had a case cover. All the original  parts were included  and the guitar could be put back to stock. Once the buyer got it he made a claim requesting a return stating it was an Asian knock off. After I produced the original receipt, Gibson registration confirmation and shipping label he admitted he made a mistake. I did take a back and resold it.

Edited by Dave F

2 hours ago, Violeiro said:

I hear you. Part of me thinks like you, the other part is frustrated and want the buyer to go suck on lemon. 

It is a big thing to ship an expensive guitar. Also, nobody besides me ever touched the guitar as I bought new in the box, now I can no longer advertise as such. I will have to go get another card box to ship, I missed an opportunity to sell to another buyer within an hour or so of each other with the same offer....

I received the guitar this morning, absolutely nothing wrong with it. I shipped with light strings, he compared the sound of the strings against a Taylor, and then against his D42 (with medium strings), so of course they will sound different. So I gave him the option. I will send it back to him at his expense or he will give me 10%

Awesome!!!  😈  I love it. He's got a D-42 and can't change strings, and all of this is your problem? A GF I had from NJ a long, long, long time ago taught me a phrase that fits. It went something like, "Cut me a ******* USDA Whole ******-******* break!"

Tell him to kindly fuk the fuk off. He's a big boy and bought a guitar all on his own and can now resell if he chooses due to the fact that it is now his and can do whatever he wants with it. Tell him not to contact you any more and enjoy the guitar that you can't change strings on. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

While tuning during a show, Steve Earle will sometimes say of a guitar, "It was in tune when I bought it...." But he says it as a joke.

My off-the-wall guess: He bought the guitar without telling his wife/girlfriend, and she found out. Absent a bona fide issue with the guitar, he had to make something up in an attempt to return it. He could fix things with his wife/girlfriend or look stupid to a stranger, and most of us will pick the "look stupid to a stranger" option every time.

If he bought a car and got buyer's remorse, would he try to get a refund on the car by claiming he doesn't know how to put gas in it?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

While tuning during a show, Steve Earle will sometimes say of a guitar, "It was in tune when I bought it...." But he says it as a joke.

My off-the-wall guess: He bought the guitar without telling his wife/girlfriend, and she found out. Absent a bona fide issue with the guitar, he had to make something up in an attempt to return it. He could fix things with his wife/girlfriend or look stupid to a stranger, and most of us will pick the "look stupid to a stranger" option every time.

If he bought a car and got buyer's remorse, would he try to get a refund on the car by claiming he doesn't know how to put gas in it?

Or he could grow a d-ick and accept the fact that he made an adult decision.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

Yeah, let's bring genitalia into it. Makes sense. Because we haven't piled on the buyer enough....

What if the buyer is female, though?

I guess grow a vagina then and accept she made an adult decision.  The buyer is an a-ss clown. That is the most ludicrous excuse I have ever heard for trying to return a guitar. The D string was a bit dead, so the guitar was not as described. That is legendary.

I think you should give him or her a hug.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Maybe he figures if he pays $4750 for a used guitar (I'm assuming it's not a vintage) and taking the risk of using pay-pal friends with no guarantee, the thing should at least have a fresh set of strings on it.  I would offer a $50 refund to cover the cost of having a new set put on.

Whichever guitar he buys to replace it he'll have to change the string's at some point.

Regarding taking it to a shop to get the strings changes, it's like taking a car back because a garage can't fit in a service for a few weeks.  The blokes an idiot.

6 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

This seems like a big hoax. But then again, boutique buyers never surprise me anymore. Perhaps he should rather have bought it as a wall hanger if he can't even change guitar strings.

Why do you need the affirmation of a bunch of us in this situation. Are you going to make a list and if more say tell him/her to stick it, you will that, or if more say "Have pity on the guy/girl and take it back" you will do that. Other than that fact that the guy made those claims makes for a humorous anecdote you can tell your friends and family, but other than that the guy/girl bought a guitar and boo hoo you may not want it now, but if it came undamaged and as described  then its game over, you bought a guitar and it's now yours, have nice day, and enjoy it or, sell it, or Pete Townshend it, but the fact of the matter is he./she  now owns it, and you have over 4k that probably got deposited to your Pay Pal account. 

It's like buying a car eventually have have to put gas in it or charge it if its a Tesla, and if you can't do that on your own I guess your SOL.

See I even used common sense and didn't go all Shock Jock on you guys. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I don’t even know if I fell bad for the guy or not.... he definitely should stick to buying guitar at a GC near by. 

Now water under the bridge. I did not take the 10% out of the guitar, I did take 5% and my shipping costs.

The guitar is back for sale and I am using most of the fee to give extra discount to the next buyer (on the price I sold him for).

Edited by Violeiro

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Why do you need the affirmation of a bunch of us in this situation. Are you going to make a list and if more say tell him/her to stick it, you will that, or if more say "Have pity on the guy/girl and take it back" you will do that. Other than that fact that the guy made those claims makes for a humorous anecdote you can tell your friends and family, but other than that the guy/girl bought a guitar and boo hoo you may not want it now, but if it came undamaged and as described  then its game over, you bought a guitar and it's now yours, have nice day, and enjoy it or, sell it, or Pete Townshend it, but the fact of the matter is he./she  now owns it, and you have over 4k that probably got deposited to your Pay Pal account. 

It's like buying a car eventually have have to put gas in it or charge it if its a Tesla, and if you can't do that on your own I guess your SOL.

See I ever used common sense and didn't go all Shock Jock on you guys. 

Hugs and high-fives!!!  😎

• Like 1