Gibson Brands Forums

Loctite on Gibson Les Paul Studio Finish

Apyoung86

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody out there knows a good way to remove Loctite on the finish of a guitar.

Heres what happened:

I was installing some Schaller Strap Locks on my black 2007 Gibson Les Paul Studio. I put some Loctite on the button screws for good measure and some of the Loctite on my top button oozed onto the finish around the button (I know, I know, I used too much Loctite). I wiped away the Loctite and it seems to have stripped the gloss off the top layer of my guitar's finish. I'm not too worried, it isn't a major eyesore, but you know how these things are.

I was wondering if anybody knows of a way to restore the sheen of the finish in these damaged areas, perhaps a certain type of polish.

It may also be wood glue, but I think that would have been a little more gentle on the finish.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Hi all' date='

I was wondering if anybody out there knows a good way to remove Loctite on the finish of a guitar.

Heres what happened:

I was installing some Schaller Strap Locks on my black 2007 Gibson Les Paul Studio. I put some Loctite on the button screws for good measure and some of the Loctite on my top button oozed onto the finish around the button (I know, I know, I used too much Loctite). I wiped away the Loctite and it seems to have stripped the gloss off the top layer of my guitar's finish. I'm not too worried, it isn't a major eyesore, but you know how these things are.

I was wondering if anybody knows of a way to restore the sheen of the finish in these damaged areas, perhaps a certain type of polish.

It may also be wood glue, but I think that would have been a little more gentle on the finish.

Please let me know.

Thanks.[/quote']

Try a Virtuoso polish.

Virtuoso polish?

What if the wood glue, which I think it is, dries?

How soon do I need to use this virtuoso polish?

No the screw was the right size, it's just that the one on the bottom was bigger and I didn't realize this until it was too late.

What Loctite was it exactly? Once you know that you can find out if it reacts with the finish or if it is just sitting on the surface.

I know NOTHING about guitar finishes as such but I know enough about paint, clear coats etc to know that depending on what is in the product that is spilt on them determines your course of action. So my advice is to find out what is in that loctite and come back and ask the experts.

Don't put acetone near it, my experience of that stuff can be nasty..... Did you put the glue on there? The reason I ask is that if you know what product is on there you can get the 100% correct advice on how to remove it. Most companies that deal with solvents will have a help line number and they can assist.

I would not go putting anything on it until you know exactly what you are dealing with, you might make it worse.......

Try a Virtuoso polish.

Yes! Thank you so much! This stuff is great, it took the residue off almost immediately. Thanks for your help guys, I will never use anything other than Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish (Also, I don't think I will use as much wood glue next time).

Okay' date=' on closer examination, I think it is simply wood glue. It's kind of sticky and doesn't really want to come off. Does Acetone hurt Poly finishes? Like I said, it is a 2007.[/quote']

if it's a gibson, it's not poly... and acetone does hurt lacquer.

if it's a gibson' date=' it's not poly... and acetone does hurt lacquer.[/quote']

Yeah, I just figured out it's not poly. I don't know where I heard that. I didn't think Acetone would be such a novel idea, it's a good thing I didn't try it.

Archived