Gibson Brands Forums

New CD Day

Sgt. Pepper

This came today. Along with Misfits it's one of my favorite Kinks albums. It's an SACD/CD hybrid. On Sunday Preservation Act II and Schoolboys In Disgrace will arrive and Preservation Act I and Soap Opera are on there way as well. All those are just regular CD's. I love The Kinks crazy concept albums. They got hosed by the US when they were banned from coming here from the mid to late 60's till about '71 or '72 or there is no doubt in my mind they would have been much bigger in the US. They sang about their Englishness and Ray had a great sense of humor in his writing. I saw them twice. If you haven't rocked The Kinks in a while you might want to. The Village Green Preservation Society would be a good one or Something Else By The Kinks.

Preserving the old ways from being abused
Protecting the new ways for me and for you
What more can we do

UP3SqKt.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I had no idea the Kinks had a US ban. That's the sort of kudos you wouldn't expect of a uk pop group. 

You also put me to shame sarge. I dont have any original Kinks albums. If I'm honest, I only only have a 'hits' CD.

Back in the day I loved 'See My Friends', 'Dead End Street' etc. 

They had some sort of a scuffle with a representative from the musician's union here on their first tour and were banned from performing here for a few years.

Everyone was kind of vague but it sounds like there were some punches thrown and they got the boot.

A great album I love to learn and play from. Unfortunately, they were rip roaring s-faced when I saw them in a crowded New Paltz college gym promoting the album. Beer cans flew around the room and so did the wall of sound from cranked up amps, bouncing fully distorted off cinderblock walls. I was half deaf for a week.

• Haha 1

I think the first time I saw them was the Schoolboys In Disgrace tour.  Ray Davies came out wearing a Bozo The Clown mask for one number where he played the Headmaster.

They were a fun band, they always make me think of summer and salt water.

God Bless The Kinks!

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

They had some sort of a scuffle with a representative from the musician's union here on their first tour and were banned from performing here for a few years.

Everyone was kind of vague but it sounds like there were some punches thrown and they got the boot.

I've heard the Musicians Union can be pretty tough. 

th?id=OIP.ZzIGAJhRCAwqMjD-AMxHAAHaEK%26p

Mostly, when I listen to the Kinks, I listen to their two live albums released fairly closely to each other but don't overlap any material:  The Road and One For The Road.  These two albums are a great listen back to back in this order.

R-5590525-1397409758-2615.jpeg.jpg

the-kinks-one-for-the-road(live)-2012121

Although I did like the Kinks, it was only just a few tunes of theirs, not enough to invest in any vinyl beyond the scant 45s I bought in the '60's.   In later years my daughter was able to find the tunes I liked in her file sharing connections and put them onto a compilation disc , one of the many she put together for me.

Whitefang

I saw them on Word Of Mouth, and The Alarm opened, and Think Visual in which Joan Jett And The Blackhearts opened. The I got turned on The Kinks in the summer of '81 when I was 14. After Low Budget when Punk and New Wave was the flavor of the the day The Kinks sound drastically changed.  I think Arista told them no more concept albums. I love Low Budget, but the next one was still kind of okay. I don't listen the albums after Give The People What They Want all that much. One For The Road I used to wear out. I'm gonna rock Muswell and Arthur today. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

The remastered vinyl is really good.  

I've got my original Lola Vs The Powerman, Schoolboys, Sleepwalker, Misfits, Low Budget, One For The Road (I still have the double sided poster), Give The People, State Of Confusion, Word Of Mouth and Think Visual on vinyl. I need to get the old stuff on vinyl.

8 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

GAWD!

The summer of '81 was when I turned 30!!

Whitefang

When I was in New Jersey in the summer of '81 I still had not yet turned 15 which would be in October. At that point in my life I had been to 2 concerts Cheap Trick and Pat Travers on the same bill and Rush and a Canadian group called FM that opened. That summer in New Jersey I saw Styx with my cousin. The day before I turned 15 I saw The Rolling Stones in Candlestick Park.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I turned 15 in October of that year. At that point in my life I had been to 2 concerts Cheap Trick and Pat Travers on the same bill and Rush and a Canadian group called FM that opened. That summer in New Jersey I saw Styx with my cousin. The day before I turned 15 I saw The Rolling Stones in Candlestick Park.

Never saw the Stones, and never cared for Styx, which I referred to as(and including that other group too) REO Styxwagon.  [wink]  And by the time I was 30 my concerts  leaned more towards Fusion and Detroit Symphony performances.  The first concert I saw was Jimi Hendrix opened by Soft Machine and The MC-5 in '68.  

9 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Nice!

I never dug REO Chuckwagon. By the time I started hearing them they were MTV darlings and in their woosy power ballad era.  

Trust me you don't want to see The Stones. It was hands down one of the worst concerts I ever went to. And I was super high at that show. George Thorogood and J. Geils opened for them and blew The Stones away. It was the second of two shows at Breadstick Park and the parking lot was trashed.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

If I remember correctly Dave Davies used a wine red Les Paul Custom on the Low Budget tour.

Boy, did that thing sound good.

I'm afraid I was 9 years old in 1968, I think Hendrix humping an amplifier would have caused my step father to have a psychotic episode.

3 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

If I remember correctly Dave Davies used a wine red Les Paul Custom on the Low Budget tour.

Boy, did that thing sound good.

I'm afraid I was 9 years old in 1968, I think Hendrix humping an amplifier would have caused my step father to have a psychotic episode.

At least you can't get VD from an amp at least that I know of.

I think Dave played a LP when I saw them. I think Ray played a Tele when he wasn't on an acoustic.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

18 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I never dug REO Chuckwagon. By the time I started hearing them they were MTV darlings and in their woosy power ballad era.  

Trust me you don't want to see The Stones. It was hands down one of the worst concerts I ever went to. And I was super high at that show. George Thorogood and J. Geils opened for them and blew The Stones away. It was the second of two shows at Breadstick Park and the parking lot was trashed.

I'm not a big Stones fan... Jumpin' Jack Flash, Sympathy for the Devil and Mother's little helper, the rest I can do without... 

6 minutes ago, Pinch said:

I'm not a big Stones fan... Jumpin' Jack Flash, Sympathy for the Devil and Mother's little helper, the rest I can do without... 

I like there '68 to '72 stuff, and for some reason Some Girls. That is what I listen to if I am gonna listen to, and you know you guys are kidding yourselves right "The Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World". More like "The S-hittiest Live Band Rock And Roll Band In The World". They are the sloppiest of the sloppy.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I like there '68 to '72 stuff, and for some reason Some Girls. That is what I listen to if I am gonna listen to, and you know you guys are kidding yourselves right "The Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World". More like "The S-hittiest Live Band Rock And Roll Band In The World". They are the sloppiest of the sloppy.

Guns N' Roses 86-93 were the best rock 'n roll band in my book... 

Btw, their demo cover of Jumpin' Jack Flash - either one - is preferable to the original IMO. 

11 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Guns N' Roses 86-93 were the best rock 'n roll band in my book... 

Btw, their demo cover of Jumpin' Jack Flash - either one - is preferable to the original IMO. 

So correct me if I am wrong it wasn't Depeche Mode?

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So correct me if I am wrong it wasn't Depeche Mode?

What, who were the best rnr band or who covered Jumpin' Jack Flash...? 

Or were they inducted into the RnR hall of fame or something? 

Edited by Pinch