Gibson Brands Forums

24 Carat Gold Strings? Yes, Please. And Thank You, Jinder!

Leonard McCoy

Totally brilliant strings IMO, last much longer, loud, rich and clangy when fresh!

I love'em but can only afford a set occasionally

Everyone should try a set once in their guitar-playing life, although there are some guitars they just won't be right with.

[thumbup]

I have a set of Optima Vintage Flex I am waiting to try out when a set on the 00 or 000 go dead. I slapped a set of Martin strings on the 00 when I got it just to be done with all my Martin strings that are just to squeeky.

Yowza, , , those black ball-ends make me wanna take a set with me to the nite-club. Just sitting with them around the neck will make the birds hover. . 

Apropos gold I put on some La Bella Golden Alloy 80/20 Lights on my 1953 J-45 the other day. New to me, but recommended by the local shop.

Promising so far - and they go 12 - 16 - 22 - 31 - 41 - 52. Focusing on string-tension they dare that 52. Have to learn more about them before saying more.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jinder said:

How are you getting on with the Optimas? I used mediums on my J180 for a while and liked them well enough, although I went back to 12-54 Martin SPs eventually. Worth a try!

I know that you absolutely hate these strings (which is why it's so funny), but I found them to be leaps and bounds better than any kind of acoustic strings I have tried before, including the new Gibson phosphor bronze coated strings (which are in itself excellent). But then again the Optima gold strings are especially pricey, but the feel and tonality are something else entirely. I might give mediums a try after all, as I have a few Adamas medium strings lying around somewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

I know that you absolutely hate these strings (which is why it's so funny), but I found them to be leaps and bounds better than any kind of acoustic strings I have tried before, including the new Gibson phosphor bronze coated strings (which are in itself excellent). But then again the Optima gold strings are especially pricey, but the feel and tonality are something else entirely. I might give mediums a try after all, as I have a few Adamas medium strings lying around somewhere.

They didn’t work for me (not on my SJ200 at least...although, having said that, six months on and they’re still on it!) but I’m glad you’re enjoying them! Like all things guitar, it’s all subjective, which is what makes this stuff so interesting to discuss 🙂