Gibson Brands Forums

1960s ES330 production figures

Peter reilly

9 minutes ago, Peter reilly said:

I do see thats very helpful.  So it is likely the bridge was replaced

The bridges aren’t interchangeable. The Nashville bridge studs screw into bushings that are a installed into the guitar body. The ABR1 studs screw directly into the top wood. I suspect that this is not a 60s guitar but a 70s guitar since it appears to have bushings for the studs to screw in to. 

Just now, Ed Zeplin said:

The bridges aren’t interchangeable. The Nashville bridge studs screw into bushings that are a installed into the guitar body. The ABR1 studs screw directly into the top wood. I suspect that this is not a 60s guitar but a 70s guitar since it appears to have bushings for the studs to screw in to. 

Owner did acknowledge the replaced bridge.  Not to be contrary but how could it be a 70's guitar with the frets joined at the 16th fret?  From '68 to the end of the run in '72 it was joined at the 19th.

5 minutes ago, Peter reilly said:

Owner did acknowledge the replaced bridge.  Not to be contrary but how could it be a 70's guitar with the frets joined at the 16th fret?  From '68 to the end of the run in '72 it was joined at the 19th.

Maybe with it being a full hollow body they used bushings to screw the bridge studs into. Hope it works out for you. 

On 4/5/2021 at 1:13 PM, Peter reilly said:

Does anyone know the year by year production of LEFT HANDED ES330s during the 1960s?  I believe they all would have been custom shop, but not sure

much thanks in advance.

peter 

So I can confirm I dont really know how many of these were made but I can confirm I now own one of them.  I'll post if pictures if people are interested, but I am taking it into a luthier first to confirm there were no repairs at any point in it's life.  Here is what I can confirm:

-SN 347047, Model ES330TNLH on the orange sticker with union made...

- Bridge was replaced with a nashville, original in possession

- Original P90's and tuners.  The bridge PU is WAY louder than the neck

- Bigsby added at some point in it's life, original bridge NOT in possession, repaired drill holes from original bridge are visible

-  Does not have original Truss rod cover as it is stamped as custom which my understanding was not a thing in 1966 and I didnt say any similiar guitars have one

- Front of the guitar is in really good shaped the back has some notable blemishes on the headstock and in the finish on the Body.  The guitar was not a museum piece, it was played and probably gigged

I am open to input an what NOT to do with the guitar, ie the guitar hasnt been cleaned, finish or fretboard, it seems like ever.  Should they be and how?  I understand finishes are very sensitive to what touches them,,, but it's my natural inclination to want the guitar to look as nice as possible without impairing it's value

Any help is appreciated.  Peter

On 4/7/2021 at 12:34 PM, Peter reilly said:

i will take a close look and thanks

Peter

Took the guitar to my Luthier and he identified an issue with the bridge replacement.  He sees how it was done with the original but when the Bixby is used it flexes the studs and puts the wood which it is anchored to at risk.  That'll get fixed