Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Explorer Government Series I, 2013

lindsteen

Hi all

Not sure if this is the right place, if not - my apologies.

I have recently gotten the opportunity to buy a Gibson Explorer Government Series I in Gunmetal grey from 2013 w/ original green hardcase, including all documentation - batch of 100 made of this model.

But I can´t seem to find much info about the guitar online, more specifically the value. I can see that the Government Series II in beige is sold at about $1,100...

Do any of you have an estimate in regards to price, he wants to sell it at $ 2,500.

Best, Nicholas

2021-02-11 15.20.50.jpg

2021-02-11 15.20.27.jpg

2021-02-11 15.20.43.jpg

2021-02-11 15.20.09.jpg

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It just an Explorer. What are they going for. I would not pay 2.5k for a used Explorer.

That´s the thing, it´s "just" an Exlorer but in a limited edition and being that there are aboslutely no other of its kind for sale, he believes the price is in the low end...

But if others can confirm that your take is the general opinion, I don´t see any reason to purchase it for that price.

Thanks for the reply.

Best, Nicholas

13 minutes ago, lindsteen said:

That´s the thing, it´s "just" an Exlorer but in a limited edition and being that there are aboslutely no other of its kind for sale, he believes the price is in the low end...

But if others can confirm that your take is the general opinion, I don´t see any reason to purchase it for that price.

Thanks for the reply.

Best, Nicholas

I guess then if you want it, its 2.5K.

Here was mine. Think I paid $1000 or so.

GmX8KO9.jpg

42 minutes ago, lindsteen said:

Why do people assume that because there are so few of something the few that are are worth some egregious amount of money?  There just might be so few because it wasn't a good idea.  I don't remember people clamoring for those guitars at all.  2500 should buy three of them.

rct

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's transferring the concept or 'rareness' and 'they don't make it anymore'  from gold and diamonds to things like Cabbage Patch dolls.   All marketing hype.  Gibson does it regularly "Limited Edition of 50"   Unless the guitar has more quality materials or workmanship than a 'standard'  - it's not worth more.  

20 minutes ago, lindsteen said:

Wasn’t aiming to start a discussion - just asking for input in regards to price.

But concluding from your replys I should not pay the full price he asks for. :-)

Thanks!

I and it looks like rct think it is overpriced, but then again I'm not looking for one.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Well it depends on if you like the story behind the series...  They were made as a bit of an FU to the government after the Gibson raids I think it was in 2010..   I think they made that series with the confiscated Rosewood for which the Government eventually gave them back... Which is why they are the colour they are..

Its kind of a very very small part of their history..  I guess if that means something too you and you dont mind the colour, pay what you want.. But apart from that theres nothing special about the guitars and I doubt any of us on here would pay that for it or it will be worth any more in the future because of that story.  So no.. Not worth that much at all even as a Ltd Ed...

Edited by Rabs
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

When these were NEW I was on a Guitar spending spree since most New guitars were being blowout.

These were going for $1000 new and got 20% off at MF for $800.

These came with the DirtyFingers,Rosewood,Nice guitar tuners and its lovely Green guitar case.

They only made 100 and you cannot find these on Ebay(maybe once or twice a year}Yep some say you might be overpaying if you spend $2000 and others are NUTSSSS thinking they can buy one for under $1000.Mine was played for less then 15 mins and has been in its case since 2013(Have many other guitars to play if I want too.The 15 mins I played it for sounded greattttt if my memory is ok.Many people complain about these guitars and put them down for no reason cause many missed the bandwagon and was not able to buy one......These were sold out with in 1 week being released....>JT

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2021 at 3:50 AM, Johnnytuinals said:

When these were NEW I was on a Guitar spending spree since most New guitars were being blowout.

These were going for $1000 new and got 20% off at MF for $800.

These came with the DirtyFingers,Rosewood,Nice guitar tuners and its lovely Green guitar case.

They only made 100 and you cannot find these on Ebay(maybe once or twice a year}Yep some say you might be overpaying if you spend $2000 and others are NUTSSSS thinking they can buy one for under $1000.Mine was played for less then 15 mins and has been in its case since 2013(Have many other guitars to play if I want too.The 15 mins I played it for sounded greattttt if my memory is ok.Many people complain about these guitars and put them down for no reason cause many missed the bandwagon and was not able to buy one......These were sold out with in 1 week being released....>JT

If you like it, great. Me, I don't want one. So we're both happy I guess. 

Limited editions, custom shop, 1 of 50. Great marketing.   The one of 50 gets me the most.  Just because a color change made it different.   The custom shop sticker guitars.  Theres more of those out there than the standard runs.    

4 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

The color's supposed to be like a file cabinet.  They were making fun of the Fish and Wildlife Service for busting them with illegal wood.

Hey Gibson you just caught with ton of illegal wood. What are you going to do next. Make a limited run of guitars and pat ourselves on the back for breaking the law and getting caught, and try to rub in the the governments face.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Hey Gibson you just caught with ton of illegal wood. What are you going to do next. Make a limited run of guitars and pat ourselves on the back for breaking the law and getting caught, and try to rub in the the governments face.

No, I think that was the whole thing.. From what I remember it wasnt illegal which is why the government gave it back.. And is what they used to build them.....  Still doesnt make them particularly special guitars in any way unless you just happen to really like the colour.. Or lack there of.

Edited by Rabs

7 minutes ago, Rabs said:

No, I think that was the whole thing.. From what I remember it wasnt illegal which is why the government gave it back.. And is what they used to build them.....  Still doesnt make them particularly special guitars in any way unless you just happen to really like the colour.. Or lack there of.

Then why were they banned from using ebony for many years till JC took over? Wasn't Gibson doing shady stuff like having wood delivered on pallets made of ebony? Who makes ebony pallets? No one. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

This is off the net so take it with a grain of salt.

Authorities raided Gibson's Tennessee factories in 2011, taking ebony and rosewood they suspected were illegally imported from India. They were acting to enforce the Lacey Act, passed more than a century ago to stop illegal trade in wildlife and amended in 2008 to ban illegally logged woods.

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

This is off the net so take it with a grain of salt.

Authorities raided Gibson's Tennessee factories in 2011, taking ebony and rosewood they suspected were illegally imported from India. They were acting to enforce the Lacey Act, passed more than a century ago to stop illegal trade in wildlife and amended in 2008 to ban illegally logged woods.

Thats not what I remember at all..  I didnt even know Gibson were banned from using Ebony....   

Gibson get their Rosewood from India, they have done for years and it comes from sustainable plantations...  Ebony is only legal to get in one place now (Bob Taylor) and the reason I think they stopped using it is because pure black ebony is getting harder and harder to come by. So aesthetically using something like richlite or whatever gives them much more consistant quality when it comes to the looks.. 

The thing from what I remember with the Rosewood was that whatever deal they have with the Indian government. It included a clause that Indian workers provide the end product so they get paid to make the fretboard rather than supplying blanks.. Gibson were buying blanks and fret slotting them in the US.. Now (again all with a grain of salt really) no one in India apparently had any issues with this. It was brought to the US governments attention by someone from the US..  Which is why in the end they had to give the Rosewood at least back to Gibson because they were actually doing it  within the law... 

I donno.. Whatever the real story it still doesnt make the guitar worth more  than a usual version..  🙂 

Edited by Rabs