Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Explorer Government Series I, 2013

Hi all

Not sure if this is the right place, if not - my apologies.

I have recently gotten the opportunity to buy a Gibson Explorer Government Series I in Gunmetal grey from 2013 w/ original green hardcase, including all documentation - batch of 100 made of this model.

But I can´t seem to find much info about the guitar online, more specifically the value. I can see that the Government Series II in beige is sold at about $1,100...

Do any of you have an estimate in regards to price, he wants to sell it at $ 2,500.

Best, Nicholas

2021-02-11 15.20.50.jpg

2021-02-11 15.20.27.jpg

2021-02-11 15.20.43.jpg

2021-02-11 15.20.09.jpg

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It just an Explorer. What are they going for. I would not pay 2.5k for a used Explorer.

That´s the thing, it´s "just" an Exlorer but in a limited edition and being that there are aboslutely no other of its kind for sale, he believes the price is in the low end...

But if others can confirm that your take is the general opinion, I don´t see any reason to purchase it for that price.

Thanks for the reply.

Best, Nicholas

13 minutes ago, lindsteen said:

That´s the thing, it´s "just" an Exlorer but in a limited edition and being that there are aboslutely no other of its kind for sale, he believes the price is in the low end...

But if others can confirm that your take is the general opinion, I don´t see any reason to purchase it for that price.

Thanks for the reply.

Best, Nicholas

I guess then if you want it, its 2.5K.

Here was mine. Think I paid $1000 or so.

GmX8KO9.jpg

42 minutes ago, lindsteen said:

Why do people assume that because there are so few of something the few that are are worth some egregious amount of money?  There just might be so few because it wasn't a good idea.  I don't remember people clamoring for those guitars at all.  2500 should buy three of them.

rct

• Haha 1

It's transferring the concept or 'rareness' and 'they don't make it anymore'  from gold and diamonds to things like Cabbage Patch dolls.   All marketing hype.  Gibson does it regularly "Limited Edition of 50"   Unless the guitar has more quality materials or workmanship than a 'standard'  - it's not worth more.  

20 minutes ago, lindsteen said:

Wasn’t aiming to start a discussion - just asking for input in regards to price.

But concluding from your replys I should not pay the full price he asks for. :-)

Thanks!

I and it looks like rct think it is overpriced, but then again I'm not looking for one.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I see the Gov. series Vs and Explorers go for cheap more often than not. Apparently, people, myself included, didn't like the drab colors. $700-$800, tops.

Edited by Pinch

Well it depends on if you like the story behind the series...  They were made as a bit of an FU to the government after the Gibson raids I think it was in 2010..   I think they made that series with the confiscated Rosewood for which the Government eventually gave them back... Which is why they are the colour they are..

Its kind of a very very small part of their history..  I guess if that means something too you and you dont mind the colour, pay what you want.. But apart from that theres nothing special about the guitars and I doubt any of us on here would pay that for it or it will be worth any more in the future because of that story.  So no.. Not worth that much at all even as a Ltd Ed...

Edited by Rabs