Gibson Brands Forums

Is Martin for you?

Violeiro

13 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

You reach for the Mart. and hear :

Yes sir, , , , dig in pal, , , , right on bro, , , , let's work, , , ready to ride. .

You reach for the Gibson and hear :

Okay my dear, , , , sure love, , , , I'm so ready, , , oooh darling, , , , yeeearrh

No matter what I reach for what I hear is  "Get your hands off me you oaf...you do not deserve me."

Actually one of my problems with Martin is, lately they only have smaller necks outside the Authentic series. I would be interested in  a D-35, but the low oval neck is not mine.  Just a regular D-35 built to the late 60's specs.

13 hours ago, rct said:

"Anybody can buy a Martin, it takes someone special to buy a Gibson."

lolz

rct

Goes with out saying .  "Only a Gibson is good enough"  (!LOL!)  

I actually would love one of 0 sizes, or an M36 like yous got..  I think they are beautiful. 

Maybe some day I'll find one that doesn't make my left hand ask me what the hell is going on...  I do think it's just their necks.  My '78 Yari DY74  is very close to a D28,  plays "ok". 

Action is 5/64 ~ 3/64s which is where all my steel strings are setup to,  so the setup isn't the issue.    I can't get around on it like I can on my J200 or either of my  "T" word guitars.. 

A few guys who played it that are Martin owners did say it's very close to how theirs feels.  Small hands???  maybe..

Edited by kidblast

Martins are great, Gibson too,   Taylor Harmony Guild even  simon and  patrick  too , old or new  I like some of every makers examples, maybe 2.    its like the  "best guitarist"  there are many more than a few,,, 

Just now, jvi said:

Martins are great, Gibson too,   Taylor Harmony Guild even  simon and  patrick  too , old or new  I like some of every makers examples, maybe 2.    its like the  "best guitarist"  there are many more than a few,,, 

According to all the lists is always a guy who haven’t played a note in over 50 years, so no one has ever progressed further than Jimi in 50 years.

11 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

I just can't imagine one of those polite and pleasant Harmony Sovereign H1260'ers be so rude - 

J0I3UAz.jpg

I got a couple of those. They are light weight, deep throaty airy tone. , easy to play.  Just a all around good All solid wood guitar. 

Edited by slimt
  • Like 1

Just now, slimt said:

I got a couple of those. They are light weight, deep throaty airy tone. , easy to play.  Just a all around good Alll solid wood guitar. 

Sounds as if there was a reason a H1260 was used on Stairway to Heaven, , , , eeehhh, besides the fact that some of them are ladder-braced. . 

11 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Sounds as if there was a reason a H1260 was used on Stairway to Heaven, , , , eeehhh, besides the fact that some of them are ladder-braced. . 

I did not know about this type of guitar being used on a popular  song  like that  . 

Im pretty sure all of these are ladder braced.   There is a place Ive been told of that converts these to x brace.   But I have no idea what it does to the tone. . 

these guitars are not that expensive to buy.
Neck sets are a challenge though.  

I only owned one Martin long ago.  I had a Hagestrom 12 string that got damaged and with the insurance money I bought a Martin D-12 20 (I think that was the model, maybe it was D20-12?  But it was a 12 string).  The dealer had 3 of them and I remember playing them until I determined which one I liked the sound of best.  That was about 1970 or '71.  I don't think Martin started putting adjustable truss rods into their guitars until the mid-eighties.  Eventually the tension of the 12 strings bowed that neck up and it was hard to tune, impossible to intonate and difficult to play so I traded it.  I knew little about guitar maintenance/repair at the time - since there was no truss rod to adjust I guess it needed a neck reset?  That experience turned me off to Martins even though the guitar, when it was playable, sounded great.  So I haven't owned once since.  I've played mostly electric guitar since that time anyway and just recently got into acoustics.  I tend to favor shorter scale and I may be wrong but I believe the Martin dreads are all long scale.

But I do now have 2 Collings which is sort of like having a Martin because they seem to be almost exact copies of Martin models.  They're just more expensive and sound a little different.  I probably should have looked at Martins when I bought the first Collings.  Too late now - spent all my money.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

I only owned one Martin long ago.  I had a Hagestrom 12 string that got damaged and with the insurance money I bought a Martin D-12 20 (I think that was the model, maybe it was D20-12?  But it was a 12 string).  The dealer had 3 of them and I remember playing them until I determined which one I liked the sound of best.  That was about 1970 or '71.  I don't think Martin started putting adjustable truss rods into their guitars until the mid-eighties.  Eventually the tension of the 12 strings bowed that neck up and it was hard to tune, impossible to intonate and difficult to play so I traded it.  I knew little about guitar maintenance/repair at the time - since there was no truss rod to adjust I guess it needed a neck reset?  That experience turned me off to Martins even though the guitar, when it was playable, sounded great.  So I haven't owned once since.  I've played mostly electric guitar since that time anyway and just recently got into acoustics.  I tend to favor shorter scale and I may be wrong but I believe the Martin dreads are all long scale.

But I do now have 2 Collings which is sort of like having a Martin because they seem to be almost exact copies of Martin models.  They're just more expensive and sound a little different.  I probably should have looked at Martins when I bought the first Collings.  Too late now - spent all my money.

It should have been D12-20. I believe 1985 was the first year Martin put TR’s in their guitars.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Nothing wrong with Collings , great guitars.   

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So you went through three 000-28EC's and didn't bond with them and none sounded great. I love Martins, and currently own 7,  but I only need to be punched in the head once to know it hurts.

Yes I hear ya - But I am Thick headed and really wanted to like that model.  The first one I had was defective. The other two where replaced by better sounding guitars - My Opinion.

On 4/6/2021 at 9:58 AM, rbpicker said:

I’ve been through a number of Martins over the last 40 years and enjoy the tone and feel, the history and legacy of the company.  I have a lot of respect for Martin as a company.  With the exception of a D42, most of them have been mid to lower end priced instruments.  They don’t seem to have staying power with me.  

Nothing keeps dragging me back to my senses like a good J45, however.  

rb

However, this being said, I DID fall in love with a Martin OM28 a few days ago.  As I was driving home I looked in the back seat and found that it had crawled into my car.   Well as long as it’s here, I might as well give it a chance to earn a spot on the team, no?

rb

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, slimt said:

I did not know about this type of guitar being used on a popular  song  like that  . 

Im pretty sure all of these are ladder braced.   There is a place Ive been told of that converts these to x brace.   But I have no idea what it does to the tone. . 

these guitars are not that expensive to buy.
Neck sets are a challenge though.  

zomb is the expert on these here. I know next to nothing apart from the fact that X-braced versions exist out there (maybe modified by skilled hands as you mention)

, , , and that the model was pretty popular after entering the scene, disappeared in oblivion for then to experience a renaissance since the retro-orientated 90s.

The first wave ~

1968 Harmony Sovereign H-1260 Jimmy Page | Bargain Blues Box | Reverb

Edited by E-minor7

27 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Yes I hear ya - But I am Thick headed and really wanted to like that model.  The first one I had was defective. The other two where replaced by better sounding guitars - My Opinion.

I played one and it was soooooooo good. If I already didn't already have a 000-28 Standard, the EC would have went home with me.

23 minutes ago, rbpicker said:

However, this being said, I DID fall in love with a Martin OM28 a few days ago.  As I was driving home I looked in the back seat and found that it had crawled into my car.   Well as long as it’s here, I might as well give it a chance to earn a spot on the team, no?

rb

I have to buy all my guitars. One never just appeared in the back seat of my car when it was unattended.

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I played one and it was soooooooo good. If I already didn't already have a 000-28 Standard, the EC would have went home with me.

I had a 0M-28V in the early 2000's I should have kept - But wanted a Martin Dread - That OM still sticks with me...  Though as of recent I bought a 000-28 - Drop dead Beautiful Guitar. Not one thing wrong with it.  But sold it for a Sweet Hummingbird.  Sometimes I just have to switch up the Flavors.  

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

They were all ladder braced.  Harmony did not build an X braced guitar until they came out with the Opus line in the 1970s.  

Edited by zombywoof