Gibson Brands Forums

Can you Believe This?

IanHenry

I find some of Rick Beato's YouTube video's informative & entertaining but I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw this one.  He's commenting on some bloke who believes history will look upon Paul Simon as a musical nonentity!  Paul is one of the twentieth century's greatest songwriters and has got to be viewed in the same company as Dylan and Lennon & McCartney.

https://youtu.be/qoHC8K7mj9c      

I won’t bother to watch the video of this guy. Who nobody will remember in 20 minutes, let alone 200 years.

Paul Simon is unbelievably underrated. He is a Grand Master Tunesmith. His Works with Art Garfunkel are Musical Masterpieces. 

Beato himself drops the ball when mentioning some of the "great" songs Bob Dylan wrote, mentioning only the low hanging fruit of "Blowing In The Wind" and "Like A Rolling Stone".  And too that someone respected Simon's work to the point he was awarded the first ever Library Of Congress GERSHWIN award for songwriting.  

And even 56 years later, this Bob Dylan gem is STILL relevant.:   And if nothing really changes in this country, will still be relevant 200 years from now. Beato should have mentioned IT.

Simon too, as are Dylan, Mitchell and even HANK WILLIAMS are natural poets who had the good sense to put their poetic thoughts to music that will way outlast anything Slate has written and will ever write.  

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

I won’t bother to watch the video of this guy. Who nobody will remember in 20 minutes, let alone 200 years.

Paul Simon is unbelievably underrated. He is a Grand Master Tunesmith. His Works with Art Garfunkel are Musical Masterpieces. 

I think you've misunderstood Lars, Rick Beato is defending Paul Simon.

Personally, I liked more of the songs Simon wrote while still with Art than when he went solo.   But please, don't(like others I know) misunderstand what's meant by that.  Paul Simon is still a vary skilled and prolific songwriter.    And here he is with who I think is a terribly underrated songwriter........

And turnabout is fair play....

Whitefang

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, DenielSetuplet said:

With the help of https://edubirdie.com/complete-coursework-for-me, I will receive et high-quality paper without plagiarism and I will be sure that it will be unique.

If you are a music graduate you should not need this.  That is not learning IMO as you have not thought out, analysed, understood, written down and edited your own ideas .

"I will be sure that it will be unique. "  No it won't as it is not by you.

I got a 404 from your link btw.  We get quite a lot of posts like this.

• Like 1

Yeah, jdgm....

That link gave me a 401 too.   And maybe he that posted it knew that and it's why he'll be sure his paper will be unique because we can't access any source he claims to use.  [wink]  He could copy it verbatim and we'll never know.

Whitefang

For me, Paul Simon is one of the best musicians. I started to get involved in his music literally from the moment I first went to school. I am a graduate of the music department and want to devote my coursework to Paul's work. With the help of https://edubirdie.com/complete-coursework-for-me I will receive et high-quality paper without plagiarism and I will be sure that it will be unique. I have no idea how this insignificant dude dared to speak negatively towards Paul! Apparently, he himself did not achieve anything and only knows how to criticize others. 

Edited by DenielSetuplet
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 8:17 AM, Whitefang said:

Personally, I liked more of the songs Simon wrote while still with Art than when he went solo.   But please, don't(like others I know) misunderstand what's meant by that.  Paul Simon is still a vary skilled and prolific songwriter.    And here he is with who I think is a terribly underrated songwriter........

And turnabout is fair play....

Whitefang

I can't imagine Paul will ever be considered a nonentity as a songwriter.

But on these clips the stand out is George.... I know John Lennon is considered the 'soul' of The Beatles, and Paul the musical genius....but George is a serious songwriter on par with John, and his musical ability on par with Paul.... truly the one who brought the band together.    Just watch him with The Traveling Willburys..... I mean he's there with some TRULY heavyweights, (no less that the greatest songwriter of our generation (Bob Dylan) and the greatest singer of Rock - Even Elvis refused to appear with him, (Roy Orbison), yet he was a complete standout with that group!

• Like 1