Gibson Brands Forums

Say you could chose either one...

Californiaman

Whew. I'd say neither.

I can't do sigs.

No offense, but the idea itself turns me off.

I'd actually never even try one, to tell the truth.

I played a Peavey 5150 head once back in the pre DOUBLE AUGHT days and liked it. I almost traded my Marshall 4100 (JCM900) for it, but couldn't do it. I just can't do sigs.

God Bless You, and.........

Best of luck.

Murph.

Whew. I'd say neither.

I can't do sigs.

No offense' date=' but the idea itself turns me off.

Murph. [/quote']

Nor me Murph!

I would have bought a Robert Johnson a year ago but just couldn't live with the signature!

I regard it as a cynical marketing ploy by the manufacturer and the player (although perhaps not in RJs case) to expolit the buyer.

Great for the collectors who can collect numerous variations of essentially the same guitar but not for me

Similarly I don't do logos on shirts etc.

But I DO have a T Shirt emblazonned with

" Sex, Drugs and Suasage Rolls"

J

I don't do sigs either. Well, okay, there are exceptions. Gretsch Chet Atkins yes. BB King Lucille yes. It just seems that they hand out signature model status as door prizes at the NAMM show.

And there is a little matter of a solid body Gibson made from 1952-61 and 1968-present bearing the name of a certain guitarist. That's a no-brainer. It was known as the Les Paul model from Day One and has never held any other name plate. But to make a Les Paul Herman Dingledein Model because the tone pots are wired backwards and it has a green pickguard.....? Nope.

I don't do sigs either. Well' date=' okay, there are exceptions. Gretsch Chet Atkins yes. BB King Lucille yes. It just seems that they hand out signature model status as door prizes at the NAMM show.

And there is a little matter of a solid body Gibson made from 1952-61 and 1968-present bearing the name of a certain guitarist. That's a no-brainer. It was known as the Les Paul model from Day One and has never held any other name plate. But to make a Les Paul Herman Dingledein Model because the tone pots are wired backwards and it has a green pickguard.....? Nope.[/quote']

I think I'm related to Herman Dingledein! seriously There are Dingledeins in my lineage.

So... I suspect the Zak Wylde LP is out, eh?

I don't sigs either, BUT, I love my True Vintage Southern Jumbo! If the Kristoffersn SJ plays like my TV-SJ, I'll take it! And if I win the Kris SJ on the contests, I'll keep it just for the pick-up in it. Peace out!

So what would you do if you won one of the acoustics Gibson is giving away right now?

Sell it? Keep it and only play it in the house? Or what?

I didn't know they were giving any away.

If I won a sig, I'd see if they'd let me swap for something else, I'd be willing to kick in a few bucks.

I just can't do sigs.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Uh, I just accidentally voted for the Wynonna Judd acoustic. I'd never seen it, and just wanted to take a look. Figured I was hitting a link....

I usually don't go for sigs either. Funny story--Chet Atkins "blacked out" his name on his personal Gibson Chet Atkins SST. I'd read that it reflected the stage lights and bothered him. I think old Chet didn't go so much for the sigs either.

And I confess that when I first read the question' date=' I was looking at Californiaman's avator thinking "tough choice..."[/quote']

I'm drawn to "righty", for some reason.

Murph.

I don't sigs either' date=' BUT, I love my True Vintage Southern Jumbo! If the Kristoffersn SJ plays like my TV-SJ, I'll take it! And if I win the Kris SJ on the contests, I'll keep it just for the pick-up in it. Peace out![/quote']

Boy, I wish you and I could sit down with both guitars and compare 'em! That would be a blast!

Nix on the pickup, though. Funny thing, the Kris SJ guitar was supposed to come pre-installed with the Fishman Matrix Infinity. But ... mine appeared to come without the sound hole volume control. So I contacted Gibson Customer Service in Tennessee, and they in turn contacted Bozeman. After two weeks, I was told that the problem wasn't a missing volume control, it was that the pickup was a LR Baggs Active Element, which could come with or without a volume control. Okay, fine. So I ordered the volume control from LR Baggs. Then I took the guitar to a local luthier, Randy Hughes, and asked him to solder the volume control to the preamp. He calls me back, and tells me that he can't ... the pickup is a Fishman Matrix Natural II. Of course, the new volume control isn't compatible.

????

I get the feeling that there's someone in Bozeman who had a few too many before coming to work and installing pickups. He not only didn't install the correct pickup, but when asked about it, couldn't remember exactly he did that day, and sorta-kinda made a guess. :)

Long story short ... I'm having a LR Baggs Dual Source System installed, which should work nicely with my Fender acoustic amp ... one channel for the ribbon transducer, the other for the condenser mic. Plus, rosewood pins w/pearl tops.

At least I will finally know what pickup is in the guitar. And I did get credited fifty bucks for the mix-up, although it's really almost funny, in a right-hand-doesn't-know-what-the-left-hand is doing kind of thing.

It'll work out in the long run ... I really didn't like the Fishman; it sucked tonally (to my surprise), and I spent more time dialing out feedback than playing. If I hit an open D string, I had to literally hug the guitar to kill the vibrations before I could kick down the amp volume.

Anybody want a free pickup?

Archived