Gibson Brands Forums

Which Hummingbird should I buy??

Eyal Erlich

Hey everyone, I would appreciate some assistance from you guys.

I'm looking in to buy a Hummingbird guitar, and since it's quite hard to find the different models where I live (Israel), I'm gonna need your advice regarding the different models.

There are a few models, and I can't really distinguish the differences: 

1. Hummmingbird standard

2. Hummingbird Deluxe

3.  Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

4. Hummingbird adjustable saddle 

5. Hummingbird 125th anniversary model

6. Hummingbird Custom shop with Thermally Aged Sitka Spruce Top

Much thanks!

Eyal

A Dove !

Nooo, only kiddin', , , 

apart from the torrefaction, which is quite a big thing, the list above minus the 1960 adjustable will sound more or less the same. They'll do that from birth as built almost from identical drawings. Yet they will vary by nature - not always from ex to ex, but there will sweeter, rougher, sharper, softer, louder, quieter creatures among them. 

When talking new models, this is one of my favorites on the web. And interesting enough it went on to a member here.                                                                                                                                                           You must take the Tube-journey - there are lots to choose from - and then take the chance. 

Looks of course also play in - and here too you must feel what you are after yourself. Orange, yellow, red, caramel, brown, black, blonde, sir ?

More talk than play, but worth finding the latter. 

• Like 1

Be Aware of a model called the "Hummingbird Pro".  It is not, in any way a Hummingbird.  

There are two models - "Hummingbird True Vintage"   and "Hummingbird Vintage"  which are good. The later is the one with the thermally aged top/face. Virtually the same as the TV, but for the addition of the thermally topped face.  I don't recall if that change included a switch from Sitka Spruce to Adirondeck Spruce.    Conider -  if you layer on requirements for the shading of the burst - you will increase your degree of difficulty exponentially!   

New or Used ?   Is usually the first question.  Well, second after you've decided on the general model.     G'Luck.  And, Welcome Aboard.   Let us know how your search moves along.   

Edited by fortyearspickn

3 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

A Dove !

Nooo, only kiddin', , , 

apart from the torrefaction, which is quite a big thing, the list above minus the 1960 adjustable will sound more or less the same. They'll do that from birth as built almost from identical drawings. Yet they will vary by nature - not always from ex to ex, but there will sweeter, rougher, sharper, softer, louder, quieter creatures among them. 

When talking new models, this is one of my favorites on the web. And interesting enough it went on to a member here.                                                                                                                                                           You must take the Tube-journey - there are lots to choose from - and then take the chance. 

Looks of course also play in - and here too you must feel what you are after yourself. Orange, yellow, red, caramel, brown, black, blonde, sir ?

Thanks!!

I've actually done some Youtube searching including listening to a few Doves in flight, which are beautiful, but I didn't like it sound-wise as much as the Hummingbirds.

It is always different listening to videos than actually playing the instrument, and so I'm wondering if the 1960's models are worth the extra cash, the one the video truly sound awesome

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Be Aware of a model called the "Hummingbird Pro".  It is not, in any way a Hummingbird.  

There are two models - "Hummingbird True Vintage"   and "Hummingbird Vintage"  which are good. The later is the one with the thermally aged top/face. Virtually the same as the TV, but for the addition of the thermally topped face.  I don't recall if that change included a switch from Sitka Spruce to Adirondeck Spruce.    Conider -  if you layer on requirements for the shading of the burst - you will increase your degree of difficulty exponentially!   

New or Used ?   Is usually the first question.  Well, second after you've decided on the general model.     G'Luck.  And, Welcome Aboard.   Let us know how your search moves along.   

Thanks for the info!

I'm looking for something New or mint, and that will ship to Israel 🙂

I'm thinking of getting maybe the fixed bridge, and wondering if it's that much better than the Vintage, there's about 1300-1600$ price difference

1 minute ago, Eyal Erlich said:

Thanks!!

I've actually done some Youtube searching including listening to a few Doves in flight, which are beautiful, but I didn't like it sound-wise as much as the Hummingbirds.

It is always different listening to videos than actually playing the instrument, and so I'm wondering if the 1960's models are worth the extra cash, the one the video truly sound awesome

I lOVE Hummingbirds with their weaknesses and strengths. Just put some 2 years old Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20s from the Firebird on my 2012 True Vintage - it sounds superb.                                    Tuned up 10 minutes ago and it blows my mind. Those situations where you melt into symbiosis with your Bird are fantastic. Makes you think they are pure wonders.

Would choose to go for a second hand TV, a 1960 or the whatever they are called now. Torrefaction wouldn't necessarily scare me - and the engraved pick-guard is a treasured must here. 

Let's hear what happens

10 minutes ago, Eyal Erlich said:

I'm thinking of getting maybe the fixed bridge, and wondering if it's that much better than the Vintage, there's about 1300-1600$ price difference

Not all updated with the latest variations. What would the difference between the Vintage and the 1960 fixed bridge be ? (True Vintage is non-torrefied)

1 minute ago, E-minor7 said:

Not all updated with the latest variations. What would the difference between the Vintage and the 1960 fixed bridge be ? (True Vintage is non-torrefied)

From what I can find online, the Vintage models are going for around 3300-3500$ and the 1960 fixed bridge for 4999$

Do you know this one? https://reverb.com/item/39416888-custom-shop-aged-2018-gibson-hummingbird-nitro-cellulose-vintage-cherry-burst-ohsc-482

The seller doesn't really know much detail about it himself 🙂

6 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

I lOVE Hummingbirds with their weaknesses and strengths. Just put some 2 years old Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20s from the Firebird on my 2012 True Vintage - it sounds superb.                                    Tuned up 10 minutes ago and it blows my mind. Those situations where you melt into symbiosis with your Bird are fantastic. Makes you think they are pure wonders.

Would choose to go for a second hand TV, a 1960 or the whatever they are called now. Torrefaction wouldn't necessarily scare me - and the engraved pick-guard is a treasured must here. 

Let's hear what happens

I hope I fall in love with the one I get as much as you are with yours :-))

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Yeps ^ it really has it. The I played the other day in a shop didn't reach the same level at all. . 

That's exactly my dilemma, buying an expensive instrument off a video isn't close at all to holding in, and playing it

2 minutes ago, Eyal Erlich said:

From what I can find online, the Vintage models are going for around 3300-3500$ and the 1960 fixed bridge for 4999$

Do you know this one?

This seems to be a Vintage - which means the first torrefied wave after the non-t True Vintage. 

When asking about difference I thought spec- not cash-wise.

3 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

This seems to be a Vintage - which means the first torrefied wave after the non-t True Vintage. 

When asking about difference I thought spec- not cash-wise.

Of course I meant spec-wise, This one is 1100$ cheaper the the 60s fixed bridge, and so I'm interested really in the spec/sound variation between them

3 minutes ago, Eyal Erlich said:

I hope I fall in love with the one I get as much as you are with yours :-))

We still have a hot romance rolling - 9 years in. . 

Here's a pic from the other day ~ XtJOm9k.jpg

2 minutes ago, Eyal Erlich said:

That's exactly my dilemma, buying an expensive instrument off a video isn't close at all to holding in, and playing it

I'm afraid your dilemma is real. It's a gamble to buy long distance and I know from doin' that a lot. Gotta be optimistic and hope for the best. Else pass it further. . 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Eyal Erlich said:

Just don't know what that price gap represents. 

Time ? . . 

12 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Just don't know what that price gap represents. 

Time ? . . 

It is the standard upcharge for the baked top such as the '60 fixed bridge guitar.  Structurally  there is nothing "vintage" about any of the HB models other than they do appear to have a more period correct slimmer neck.

• Like 1

If you're not concerned with price, and must be new, I'd go with the Hummingbird Custom shop with Thermally Aged Sitka Spruce Top.

I bought a Custom Hummingbird  (Koa) brand-new in 2011....and 10 years later, it's just now coming into it's own.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

It is the standard upcharge for the baked top such as the '60 fixed bridge guitar.  Structurally  there is nothing "vintage" about any of the HB models other than they do appear to have a more period correct slimmer neck.

Yes, I know about the second half of your comment - I'm surrounded by circa 7 of these guitars goin' from 1963 to 2012.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   But regarding the first the Vintage is torrefied too (do remember the difference between True Vintage and Vintage).

2 minutes ago, slimt said:

I have a early 61.  Thats all I need.   And it aged over time. 

Yes, , , an early 1961, a clay bowl of rice and a glass jug of water.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          You should post some pics. 

I bought a new Hummingbird last September and could not be happier with it.  I opted for the "Hummingbird Original" model.  It has all the same features as the custom shop 1960 model with the exception of the baked top.  The baked top model is $1000 more and I don't hear it as $1000 better sounding than the one I got.  (I don't hear any difference at all, but am listening to the baked ones on-line and listening to mine in person)  Also the 1960 model has no electronics and while some people like that,  I occasionally perform in venues that require amplification so wanted a pickup.  The 1960 model only comes in the cherry finish, with the original you have a choice of cherry or natural and I wanted natural.  So for me the original model checked all the boxes and it plays and sounds wonderful.  Since you need to deal with someone on-line I would recommend Sweetwater Music, their customer service is second to none, they thoroughly check over the guitar before double packing and shipping it to you and I have had great experiences with them several times over the past 8 years.  Not sure about international shipping, but if anyone can do it right I would bet they can.

tK1BDNV.jpg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

I bought a new Hummingbird last September and could not be happier with it.  I opted for the "Hummingbird Original" model.  It has all the same features as the custom shop 1960 model with the exception of the baked top.  The baked top model is $1000 more and I don't hear it as $1000 better sounding than the one I got.  (I don't hear any difference at all, but am listening to the baked ones on-line and listening to mine in person)  Also the 1960 model has no electronics and while some people like that,  I occasionally perform in venues that require amplification so wanted a pickup.  The 1960 model only comes in the cherry finish, with the original you have a choice of cherry or natural and I wanted natural.  So for me the original model checked all the boxes and it plays and sounds wonderful.  Since you need to deal with someone on-line I would recommend Sweetwater Music, their customer service is second to none, they thoroughly check over the guitar before double packing and shipping it to you and I have had great experiences with them several times over the past 8 years.  Not sure about international shipping, but if anyone can do it right I would bet they can.

tK1BDNV.jpg

That's simply beautiful!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

A Dove !

Nooo, only kiddin', , , 

That is *astonishing* sounding for a new guitar. For something to sound like that out of the box is quite a feat.

I have the 2016 Standard model, and really, really like it. I'm afraid I cant compare it to other HB models because this is actually the only variation I've ever played. However, I can compare it to some other models like the J-45 and the D-28. A great quality I like about the Standard is that it's actually not so responsive and loud as the others. I'm not a fancy player. I mostly do simple chords with some push-offs and hammer-ons to create variation. The Standard is very forgiving and easier to play than the others, in the sense that it hides my strumming clumsiness a bit. The volume being softer is also a good thing when singing, I believe. I don't sing very loud and the HB is a good fit.

With all that said, it was actually the “pale” color scheme, front and back, of the 2016 Standard that first caught my eye. I love it! I'm not a fan of the cherry looking ones, but really love the darker, more vintage looking ones. Looks matter too!!

Lars

• Like 2