Gibson Brands Forums

Which Hummingbird should I buy??

Eyal Erlich

Hey everyone, I would appreciate some assistance from you guys.

I'm looking in to buy a Hummingbird guitar, and since it's quite hard to find the different models where I live (Israel), I'm gonna need your advice regarding the different models.

There are a few models, and I can't really distinguish the differences: 

1. Hummmingbird standard

2. Hummingbird Deluxe

3.  Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

4. Hummingbird adjustable saddle 

5. Hummingbird 125th anniversary model

6. Hummingbird Custom shop with Thermally Aged Sitka Spruce Top

Much thanks!

Eyal

• 3 months later...

I think this one would be my choice. There's more talk than playing, but mr. Ravita touches the strings about 4 times.

Btw. it's torrefied too. If you can find a TV (True Vintage) from plus/minus 2012, try to get a sound sample. They are not fried, but excellent and beautiful guitars. 

Interestingly enough the guitar ended by a member of this Board. Could be good to hear it again. 

If you're up for getting a used guitar, a Standard, or ideally, as E suggested, a True Vintage model with almost ten years of aging on it, would be a fine first 'Bird- just verify condition and amount of fret wear first. The Koa that Johan suggested would be good, but maybe after you've got the basic Bird experience. It's a challenge to get one's head around the mottled/orange peel finish when combined with the matte Vintage Old Stock finish like the new one in the above Empire video. When the HB became available with the torrefied top about five years ago, the guitar still had the low gloss finish, but without the orange peel effect. Those are still very light guitars. . .   one of those early Hummingbird Vintages would be a nice find.

Something tells me the De Luxe version you mention is from the 1970s. If yes, it's important to for you to know they are absolutely different  : heavier thus more dead sounding.                                                       Some of them may have found their own way to bloom, but it will be an alternative garden. Should you decide to go vintage, write and ask again. 

Ooops - now see there is a contemporary Deluxe. A model with rosewood back'n'sides. May sound good, but a fundamental Hummingbird will have the mahogany voice. 

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

. . . Ooops - now see there is a contemporary Deluxe. A model with rosewood back'n'sides. May sound good, but a fundamental Hummingbird will have the mahogany voice. 

'Did not know Gibson was calling their contempo rosewood bird The Deluxe, either. To OP Eyal: while I do have an earlier Hummingbird Rosewood, and it is a favorite of mine, it does have a bit of a darker tone, helped in part by the square shoulders, as compared to the rosewood J-45's I've had. 

and . . . 

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

May sound good, but a fundamental Hummingbird will have the mahogany voice. 

It may be no small coincidence in choice of words, here 👆, as the mahogany bird will have the fundamental Hummingbird tone.

25 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I have one I bought brand-new in 2011..... it's just coming into it's own!

Yes, Koa does seem to take a little longer to open up, but play it often, then in time, you will have a nice surprise. More than just a pretty fa-. . . uhm. . .  back and sides.

Edited by 62burst

Just now, 62burst said:

'Did not know Gibson was calling their contempo rosewood bird The Deluxe, either. To OP Eyal: while I do have an earlier Hummingbird Rosewood, and it is a favorite of mine, it does have a bit of a darker tone, helped in part by the square shoulders, as compared to the rosewood J-45's I've had. 

and . . . 

It may be no small coincidence in choice of words, here 👆, as the mahogany bird will have the fundamental Hummingbird sound.

Yes, Koa does seem to take a little longer to open up, but play it often, then in time, you will have a nice surprise. More than just a pretty fa-. . . uhm. . .  back and sides.

I agree.... I simply LOVE the way it sounds now..... I kinda attributed it to the Spruce top opening up.... I can see the change in color from when it was new.

5 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

May sound good, but a fundamental Hummingbird will have the mahogany voice. 

32 minutes ago, 62burst said:

as the mahogany bird will have the fundamental Hummingbird tone.

Like a fundamental tone will come from a mahogany Hummingbird. . 

11 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

I think this one would be my choice. There's more talk than playing, but mr. Ravita touches the strings about 4 times.

Btw. it's torrefied too. If you can find a TV (True Vintage) from plus/minus 2012, try to get a sound sample. They are not fried, but excellent and beautiful guitars. 

Interestingly enough the guitar ended by a member of this Board. Could be good to hear it again. 

I have one of the 1960 Fixed Bridge HBirds, and am really liking it. Got it slightly used a couple months ago from a friend on another forum. I had a Standard for a few years and sold it shortly before getting this one. I missed the Standard and was kinda looking for a replacement when the 1960 HB/FB came up. Big difference in sound quality, with the 1960 sounding richer and just all around better. It's lighter than the Standard, and of course the baked top and VOS finish probably help. I'd recommend this one to the OP, if he's still looking 3 months out from the start of this thread....

21 minutes ago, TomPhx said:

I have one of the 1960 Fixed Bridge HBirds, and am really liking it. Got it slightly used a couple months ago from a friend on another forum. I had a Standard for a few years and sold it shortly before getting this one. I missed the Standard and was kinda looking for a replacement when the 1960 HB/FB came up. Big difference in sound quality, with the 1960 sounding richer and just all around better. It's lighter than the Standard, and of course the baked top and VOS finish probably help. I'd recommend this one to the OP, if he's still looking 3 months out from the start of this thread....

Good to hear - I had a (yellow) Standard back in 2013 which was splendid, but too sweet, , , and it had no dot above the I ☺️
If possible, you should post some pics'n'sounds of yours. Is it more reddish than Ravita's ? , , , and does it sound as superb. . 

I got one from the "Original" collection last September and am really enjoying it.  Sounds like a Hummingbird should and came with a Baggs VCT pickup installed in case you need it for performance situations.  Not sure I would pay extra for a torrified top or anniversary model?  Mine is starting to open up a little after just 9 months.

tK1BDNV.jpg  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I got one from the "Original" collection last September and am really enjoying it.  Sounds like a Hummingbird should and came with a Baggs VCT pickup installed in case you need it for performance situations.  Not sure I would pay extra for a torrified top or anniversary model?  Mine is starting to open up a little after just 9 months.

tK1BDNV.jpg  

Probably my favorite look on a ‘Bird!

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I fear the OP  may have written us off after Zero Responses 3 months out.  He's not signed in for 2 months.   Hope he got a good'un.  

Doh. 3 months?  Blame it on Johan. Emin7 only "bit" 'cause it had Hummingbird in the thread title. Yours truly, as well. OP probably the proud owner of an Epiphone by now.

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I fear the OP  may have written us off after Zero Responses 3 months out.  He's not signed in for 2 months.   Hope he got a good'un.  

👓👍

3 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Doh. 3 months?  Blame it on Johan. Emin7 only "bit" 'cause it had Hummingbird in the thread title. Yours truly, as well. OP probably the proud owner of an Epiphone by now.

Shame on us - I don't recall seeing the thread at all.  Eyal come back !

8 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

👓👍

Shame on us - I don't recall seeing the thread at all.  Eyal come back !

I don't recall seeing anything at all (from Eyal), either. Maybe it was one of those Covid delays? 

An update would be good. Eyal? . . .

On 7/10/2021 at 2:06 PM, E-minor7 said:

Good to hear - I had a (yellow) Standard back in 2013 which was splendid, but too sweet, , , and it had no dot above the I ☺️
If possible, you should post some pics'n'sounds of yours. Is it more reddish than Ravita's ? , , , and does it sound as superb. . 

Not much more red than the one in the video, but the back/sides are a deeper brownish color. No sounds, I don't have a video account on any of those hosting sites, but can do pics. Mine sounds somewhat more lush and resonant in person than the one in the vid, but that could be from the audio in the recording. Maybe some Bird pics will lure Eyal back...

Or maybe not, I can't get the Imgur stuff to work for some reason...

Edited by TomPhx

41 minutes ago, TomPhx said:

Or maybe not, I can't get the Imgur stuff to work for some reason...

Had an Imgur-prob too - couldn't copy. Ended up right-clicking/copying directly on the chosen stored pic and moved it over here. Maybe try that. .  

Thanks E-m7. Imgur worked on another forum just now. This is what I got... If you click on the pic it looks like a real guitar, not some fun house reflection... I love technology.

jT8TjkW.jpg

Edited by TomPhx