Gibson Brands Forums

Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

mihcmac

• mihcmac changed the title to Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

The thing about making a solid state version of the Deluxe Reverb is this.  The real DR is probably the best amp ever made. So the difference between the real thing and the solid state version is going to be more stark than with any other amp.  So, nice try, but they're not going to be replacing any real DR's.  People aren't going to be buying these to use in a working studio.

And like the guy said, you can't get those things fixed.  No amp tech will work on that kind of stuff.  You send it back to Fender and they throw them away and give you a new one.  And then you're back at square one and the guy who bought a real silverface DR for say $1500 - he's still got the real thing - and it only costs like $20 a year to maintain and it will last forever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, badbluesplayer said:

The thing about making a solid state version of the Deluxe Reverb is this.  The real DR is probably the best amp ever made. So the difference between the real thing and the solid state version is going to be more stark than with any other amp.  So, nice try, but they're not going to be replacing any real DR's.  People aren't going to be buying these to use in a working studio.

And like the guy said, you can't get those things fixed.  No amp tech will work on that kind of stuff.  You send it back to Fender and they throw them away and give you a new one.  And then you're back at square one and the guy who bought a real silverface DR for say $1500 - he's still got the real thing - and it only costs like $20 a year to maintain and it will last forever.

I agree.

For my age, and what I do with guitars, I will gladly not schlep the tube amp and all the junk and problems that go with it around with me every night out.  22 pounds of close enough for the average bar that I'm in quite frequently when there isn't a pandemic.

Of course you can have any amp you want in a studio.  Vibro King for me but shoot, I'm not moving that thing around ever.

rct

• Thanks 1

Solid-state amps today are very good, and provide an incredible amount of user flexibility in tones, user presets, built-in cordless, better foot-switch controls, lower weight, and home recording ... all at a lower cost than tube amps.  This is also just my opinion, but ... I think it is absolutely CRAZY to go buy some expensive tube amp just so you can THEN spend half as much MORE on all of your effects boxes (you know who you are) that you have to lay in front of it to get the tones that you really want ... instead of just getting a nice higher end SS amp that will do ALL of that and much more at so much lower cost.  Okay, now feel free to disregard me as a some non-purist errant opinion ... That's perfectly okay as I am used to it.  I won't mind one bit.  😀

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rct said:

I agree.

For my age, and what I do with guitars, I will gladly not schlep the tube amp and all the junk and problems that go with it around with me every night out.  22 pounds of close enough for the average bar that I'm in quite frequently when there isn't a pandemic.

Of course you can have any amp you want in a studio.  Vibro King for me but shoot, I'm not moving that thing around ever.

rct

Excellent points.... I agree.. 

Although the new Fender Pro Reverb 40 Watt Tube Amp at 32 lbs. is making it very tempting for me for both Studio & Live...  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

Solid-state amps today are very good, and provide an incredible amount of user flexibility in tones, user presets, built-in cordless, better foot-switch controls, lower weight, and home recording ... all at a lower cost than tube amps.  This is also just my opinion, but ... I think it is absolutely CRAZY to go buy some expensive tube amp just so you can THEN spend half as much MORE on all of your effects boxes (you know who you are) that you have to lay in front of it to get the tones that you really want ... instead of just getting a nice higher end SS amp that will do ALL of that and much more at so much lower cost.  Okay, now feel free to disregard me as a some non-purist errant opinion ... That's perfectly okay as I am used to it.  I won't mind one bit.  😀

As for recording, if you want digital, just use the Plugins that come with your DAW. They’re just as good.. Save your money. You don’t need an Amp.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rct said:

I agree.

rct

Absolutely. I know you said you like yours.  

It's hard to break a tube amp person.  They say once you're broken, everything's o.k.   😬

• Thanks 1

To own the Tone Master Amp my ears need to be more broke... Ok if you play soft... They are better but still sound harsh when you push them.... 

Currentply I’m seriously considering the new Fender Pro Master Tube Amp. 40 Watts, Celelestion Neo Creamback 90 & weighs 32 lbs... And sounds great! 

Best of both Worlds... Light weight & Tubes..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

As for recording, if you want digital, just use the Plugins that come with your DAW. They’re just as good.. Save your money. You don’t need an Amp.

Nice to know if I ever get a PC to record with. I had been using the same signal processor I use live, though since getting the Yamaha THR30 I will probably try using that next time. 

• Thanks 1

One of the reasons got my current amps was because they weighed 26 lbs, at my age they do seem heavier. I was able to try a TM Deluxe Reverb a while ago in our local Fender store, the first thing I noticed was how quiet it is, I turned it on and didn't realize it was on. After testing it out for a while it seemed to sound really good to me. I think its a misnomer to call it Solid State, this thing is way past that description, to me its more like a computer specifically designed to re-create the Deluxe Reverb.

Edited by mihcmac

33 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

Agreed, except sometimes one needs an amp too.

Yes, If you’re doing more than recording with Digital... Although, you could run a Line 6 Pod thru the PA... I’ve done that before... I didn’t care for it but the SS Sounds were no worse than anything with the new Tone Master Amps IMO....

• Thanks 1

What I took away from it was if it breaks you throw it away.

I can't see buying something and then wonder how much time do you have left before you strip it and then slam it in a dumpster.

I guess it's the same thing with a laptop, though.  Eventually it croaks and you throw it away and buy a new one so a different mindset than a tube amp customer.

Edited by SteveFord
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

Made in China! 

I'll pass. 

Are you going to tell us nothing you use in your gear setup is made in china?    I find that hard to swallow

about the BREAK thing, yes, it is a reality, but lets don't over run the head lights on that aspect just b/c it was mentioned

I have 4 tube amps,  the lightest one is twice the weight.  I like them, I'd have a hard time selling them, cuz they sound great.

but they are finicky and require some what regular maintenance or they stop working as well.   fixable yea, but you need to find someone to do that, and around here, they are getting less and less as the years go by.   then you gotta wait 3 6, or how many ever weeks while it's in the shop getting fixed.

That aint a hell of a bargain either, so that argument holds very little water in the grand scheme of things as far as I'm concerned. 

We're not all amp tecs like  some members are.

stuff does happen, but the chance of it lasting is more likely than not.

I've got plenty of solid state stuff that's lived well past what it should have.  Take care of yer sh*t, it will probably last.

Edited by kidblast
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

I've got plenty of solid state stuff that's lived well past what it should have.  Take care of yer sh%&t, it will probably last.

I have had quite a few tube amps, some with problems but mostly no problems.  But on the SS side I have never had a problem, and that includes SS amps from Gallien Kruger and multiple Line 6 amps.  To the contrary, Line 6 has really  impressed me.  Their older amps from a decade ago could really be made to sing if you get their tone tweaked in, while their newer stuff sounds even better and also has great functionality.  Just my opinion, though.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

Are you going to tell us nothing you use in your gear setup is made in china?    I find that hard to swallow

about the BREAK thing, yes, it is a reality, but lets don't over run the head lights on that aspect just b/c it was mentioned

I have 4 tube amps,  the lightest one is twice the weight.  I like them, I'd have a hard time selling them, cuz they sound great.

but they are finicky and require some what regular maintenance or they stop working as well.   fixable yea, but you need to find someone to do that, and around here, they are getting less and less as the years go by.   then you gotta wait 3 6, or how many ever weeks while it's in the shop getting fixed.

That aint a hell of a bargain either, so that argument holds very little water in the grand scheme of things as far as I'm concerned. 

We're not all amp tecs like  some members are.

stuff does happen, but the chance of it lasting is more likely than not.

I've got plenty of solid state stuff that's lived well past what it should have.  Take care of yer sh*t, it will probably last.

A $1,000.00 amp made in China that has a two year warranty? 

It probably coat 10% of that to build it. The going wage for electronic assembly work in China is about 40 bucks a week.

I'll buy the other model made in Mexico or Fullerton that has a better warranty. 

If I can get what I want made anywhere other than China it's money well spent.  I prefer not to fund the Chinese military.  But that's just me. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

I prefer not to fund the Chinese military.  But that's just me. 

as would I, but there's almost nothing not made there.

Fender dropped 5 year warranty's across the board a while back.   doesn't matter where they were made, I believe 2 years is all you get period

and more can go wrong with a tube amp hands down, than solid state.

it's not that I want to argue, b/c I can't disagree with your point of view but I've thought though all the same arguments before  buying the amp.

7 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

I have had quite a few tube amps, some with problems but mostly no problems.  But on the SS side I have never had a problem, and that includes SS amps from Gallien Kruger and multiple Line 6 amps.  To the contrary, Line 6 has really  impressed me.  Their older amps from a decade ago could really be made to sing if you get their tone tweaked in, while their newer stuff sounds even better and also has great functionality.  Just my opinion, though.  

Line 6 has never put out much I'd consider a dud.  and the modeling tech in general has gotten better and better.  I had one of the original mustangs, it had some great sounds.  

I used that as part of a trade for a marshall combo though and zero regrets.

• Thanks 1

Both the Black and Blonde TM Deluxe Reverb cabinets use Pine construction, the Blonde is about $50 more possibly because it uses a (neodymium magnet) Celestion G12 Neo Creamback speaker, while the Black uses a (neodymium magnet) Jensen N-12K speaker. So other than the colors they both seem to check out very similar but with few differences.

Black Vs Blonde.........

Edited by mihcmac