Gibson Brands Forums

A crack on nut?

Hi guys!

I realised this crack on the nut of my Les Paul. It also changed the colour. There's no lacquer on nut. The guitar doesn't suffered any impact - actually it was in its case, as always.

Does this crack represent some matter? What should I do?

Thanks for helping

20210410-194332-1.jpg

Edited by Juliana

The sides of the fretboard (as was the whole guitar) were lacquered with a nitro-cellulose clearcoat finish. The nut was oversprayed with that same lacquer as well which is why the wings of the nut now turned an aged cream-color. A crack in the nut, which in itself is rather rare, is not apparent anywhere.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

7 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

The sides of the fretboard (as was the whole guitar) were lacquered with a nitro-cellulose clearcoat finish. The nut was oversprayed with that same lacquer as well which is why the wings of the nut now turned an aged cream-color. A crack in the nut, which in itself is rather rare, is not apparent anywhere.

Thanks Leonard! 

I thought my guitar had no lacquer on nut, once I never saw it and only now I notice it due to colour change.

3 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Juliana,

My suggestion is to have the guitar examined in the flesh by a reputable Luthier. And they will advise what action if any is required.

RBSinTo

Thank you RBSinTo!

I'll do it as soon as possible. It's time to a routine check-up.

Looks to me like  the lacquer that's chipped off the side of the nut, that doesn't seem to be a crack, and it wold certainly be an odd place for a crack like that to happen

take a closer look at it when you do your next string change, for now, I'd forget about it and play on.

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

Looks to me like  the lacquer that's chipped off the side of the nut, that doesn't seem to be a crack, and it wold certainly be an odd place for a crack like that to happen

take a closer look at it when you do your next string change, for now, I'd forget about it and play on.

Thanks! OK, I'll look little closer.  It seems strange to have a crack right there...