Gibson Brands Forums

New Tuners On Old J-50

DanvillRob

I had my Luthier install the K&K Trinity pickup/mic on my old J-50.   If I Like it, I'll have it installed on my Dove too.

While he had it, I had an old set of Grover Tuners laying around, and the Kluson tuners on the J-50 were hard for me to turn with my arthritis,

so I had him change the out.

The Pickups are great.... haven't figured out the mic yet.... but the tuners not only look great, but the guitar is much easier for me to tune now.

This guitar is my workhorse.   I play it most every day.... I like it even better now.

May be an image of guitar and indoor

May be an image of guitar and indoor

May be an image of guitar

Although most folks prefer Klusons for appearance, I greatly prefer Grovers for functionality.  I installed similar Grover tulips on my 2002 J-45 Rosewood, but with a nickel finish.  And most of my other guitars have regular or mini Grovers, sometimes with swapped out buttons. 

I do get the value of re-purposing guitar parts and keep a large box filled with them.  And it  is your guitar so what you do to it only has to make you smile.  Me, I am still kicking myself for not buying a set of the Antique Acoustic tuners when they were available just to have then on hand  should I need them.

Last year I bought a 2001 j45 that had had its broken headstock repaired by a previous owner. The break is at the position of both of the E string tuner posts, so the tuner screws add structural integrity to the repair ( which I was advised by a Luthier was strong and stable).

The tuners have small, white buttons which I don't particularly like and I wanted to replace them with the tulip-button type. However, after discussing this with a local Luthier, I was advised that while for enough money,  despite what problems making the switch might cause, it could be done, but that the smartest course was to simply learn to love the tuners I have. 

Not the answer I wanted, but obviously the best course of action.

RBSinTo

On 4/14/2021 at 3:09 AM, bobouz said:

Although most folks prefer Klusons for appearance, I greatly prefer Grovers for functionality.  I installed similar Grover tulips on my 2002 J-45 Rosewood, but with a nickel finish.  And most of my other guitars have regular or mini Grovers, sometimes with swapped out buttons. 

I would have liked to keep it original...but....it has little value anyway, and now it's MUCH more playable (tunable) for me.   I think it looks pretty good though.

On 4/14/2021 at 6:20 AM, zombywoof said:

I do get the value of re-purposing guitar parts and keep a large box filled with them.  And it  is your guitar so what you do to it only has to make you smile.  Me, I am still kicking myself for not buying a set of the Antique Acoustic tuners when they were available just to have then on hand  should I need them.

My cousin was in a motorcycle accident in Mexico.   By the time his brother found out and got down there, the concussion he had caused major brain damage.  So, many years ago, we sold off 44 guitars he had in his house, (I bought 3 of them), and my cousin (his brother) gave me all the misc. parts.    I sold them off...but kept these tuners.

20 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Well I'm glad they work better for you and I personally I like they way they look on that headstock.  👍

While the old Kluson tuners held the guitar in tune, I couldn't twist them with my left hand.   Was a real struggle to try to tune using my right hand to twist the tuners.

These Grovers are a dream now.... plus they look great!

13 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

You have to do what works for you.  Glad to hear it is working out.

Thanks.... I have Klusons on my old Jubilee, (three on a bracket) and they don't present a problem for me.... I guess the ones on the J-50 (single tuners) were just worn out).