Gibson Brands Forums

The Electric Guitar, a history

jaxson50

I have found out all I can about George Beauchamp, Paul Barth, Adolph (Rickenbacker) Riggenbacher John Dopyera and Ro-Pat-In/Electro String.

Its crazy that George isn't better known or regarded. He's something of a hero to me. He invented the magnetic pickup, made a whole suite of electric instruments beginning in 1931 with the first prototype electric guitar. 

He must have made a better impression during his day though. According to the Rickenbacker website, his funeral procession was over two miles long.

• Thanks 1

I know a decent amount about the electric guitars history. I am sure I know more about music history.

I don't think I would pay to play anyones guitar. I guess I pay to play Martin guitars, but after I do, I own them.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The earliest electric guitar that I know of was around 1936. Charlie Christian, a jazz guitarist took an acoustic guitar and attached a pickup to the body to play in his band. That was the birth of the electric guitar. As for what I would pay to play someone else's guitar? Nothing. Why would I want to when I have my own? 

Well, on the other hand...

I like history

I like guitars

History+Guitars  for me, what's not to like?

so yea,,

I'm in,  even if I seen it before,  Like Stooges shorts with nothing but Curly's...  I'm watching it...  just be-cuz

and I like George Benson, so there is THAT!

Thanks for posting Jaxson...

(some a youz guys need to take some laxatives..)

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Retired said:

The earliest electric guitar that I know of was around 1936. Charlie Christian, a jazz guitarist took an acoustic guitar and attached a pickup to the body to play in his band. That was the birth of the electric guitar. As for what I would pay to play someone else's guitar? Nothing. Why would I want to when I have my own? 

Wrong on all accounts,  Charlie did not take a guitar and attach anything. Watch the video. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Retired said:

As for what I would pay to play someone else's guitar? Nothing. Why would I want to when I have my own? 

I dunno, I think it'd be pretty cool to play something like that for a half hour.  I'm not sure I can put a $ to what I'd pay,  certainly have to be a reasonable ask,

$10k, to play Jimi's strat for an hour!!!  uhm, no that's ok

For $25 to play Jimi's strat for 15 minutes..   yep.. you bet I would.

My hunch is it would probably play like pooh, and I'd be glad to get my hands back on my own strats..

Then again, we're blue sky'ng here.  in reality, no one who is charged with taking care of those things would ever let any one of us clowns play it.. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

Then again, we're blue sky'ng here...  

Speakina Blue Sky, when I was 17 I played Betts' white LP custom for about ten minutes.  It was awful but MAN I learned more about guitars in that ten minutes than in any other ten minutes in my life.

rct

• Thanks 1

I dunno, I think it'd be pretty cool to play something like that for a half hour.  I'm not sure I can put a $ to what I'd pay,  certainly have to be a reasonable ask,

$10k, to play Jimi's strat for an hour!!!  uhm, no that's ok

For $25 to play Jimi's strat for 15 minutes..   yep.. you bet I would.

My hunch is it would probably play like pooh, and I'd be glad to get my hands back on my own strats..

Then again, we're blue sky'ng here.  in reality, no one who is charged with taking care of those things would ever let any one of us clowns play it.. 🙂 

Probably not, but Jimi played a nothing special Strat. It was as we all now strung upside-down to accommodate his left handedness, and he just plays like Jimi and you don't.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Probably not, but Jimi played a nothing special Strat. It was as we all now strung upside-down to accommodate his left handedness, and he just plays like Jimi and you don't.

Dude.. I just said I'd have fun playing it for 10 minutes,  nothing more.  Also I am well aware what he played.  I wonder where you come up half your material,

1 hour ago, rct said:

Speakina Blue Sky, when I was 17 I played Betts' white LP custom for about ten minutes.  It was awful but MAN I learned more about guitars in that ten minutes than in any other ten minutes in my life.

rct

yea.. That's kinda what I'm getting at.. 

Edited by kidblast
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Jimi also played a Gibson Flying V

Everything I've ever learned about the history of the electric guitar I learned from THIS site more than 20 years ago.   [wink]

https://www.angelfire.com/music2/myguitar/ggcov.html

And I'd wish to be ABLE to afford to play JIMI'S strat for just a few minutes.  Along with any of the old Gibson fat 400's used by Chuck Berry, or any old acoustic strummed by Bob Dylan.  [cool]

And if there's enough money left over, how about that GRETSCH  George Harrison used to ply his trade with?

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

27 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Kind of on topic:

If you could play literally any guitar for 10 minutes, which would you go for?  I think I'd take Jimmy's Les Paul (although it would be tough to NOT opt for Stevie Ray's "Lenny" strat. 

lz_4.jpg

yea that one is in the top 10 for me too.

Dude.. I just said I'd have fun playing it for 10 minutes,  nothing more.  Also I am well aware what he played.  I wonder where you come up half your material,

yea.. That's kinda what I'm getting at.. 

Where did you take away from my post I was dumping on you?  I write my own stuff. I have a brain and my own thoughts.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Where did you take away from my post I was dumping on you?  I write my own stuff. I have a brain and my own thoughts.

well, this here.  seemed a bit antagonistic is all..  

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I got thick skin tho, it's all good. 

well, this here.  seemed a bit antagonistic is all..  

I got thick skin tho, it's all good. 

All I was trying to get across is most people think the guitarist we like play these magical guitars built by Cherubs, and yes some get custom stuff done and aftermarket pups, ect, but it is nothing you or I can't have. Especially if you have the cash.

I'm gonna have to look up the meaning of antagonistic, its a big 75 cent word.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

All I was trying to get across is most people think the guitarist we like play these magical guitars built by Cherubs, and yes some get custom stuff done and aftermarket pups, ect, but it is nothing you or I can't have. Especially if you have the cash.

I'm gonna have to look up the meaning of antagonistic, its a big 75 cent word.

Sure.. there is some of that,  there's no magic there

I play like me, you play like you, the "magic" happens when two good players get together and it happens.

we can spend a bazillion bucks trying to nail some one else rig to a "T".. plug that sh-t in, and you're still going to sound like you...

Think of the money that doesn't need to be spent!!  I cold buy two Slash signature Les Pauls.. and..  oh wait,,, never mind...

yea,,  spell check knew how to spell antagonistic. so that was cool!