Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Inspired By Gibson, Epiphone ES-335


Recommended Posts

  • mihcmac changed the title to Inspired By Gibson, Epiphone ES-335
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Geez Sparky - whatever the bet was...you earned it!  

I've never wanted an Inspired By Fender Squire or an Inspired By Martin Sigma.  It's like an Inspired By Cadillac Chevy. rct

Case could use some stickers.

I don't understand the need.   Epiphone has their own unique models.   Why cut back on Epiphone models and push these wanna be Gibson guitars??   Especially when there are so many other companies that already produce Gibson knockoffs.    I didn't make it past the title of the video.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pinch said:

Because Gibson charges too much?

Epiphone was been making 335's for a long time, more in line with the Gibson Spec. If Epiphone stopped building them, someone else would, and they do.

My modified 339 is excellent and I have no desire for a Gibson.

UcqGuWz.jpg

The Fit and Finish on my 339 was perfect, I couldn't find any flaws anywhere.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I wouldn't mind as much if they would continually make the real Epiphone models available.  They seem to roll out 1 or 2 at a time max. and mostly focus on selling LPs, SGs and ESs. 

 

Epiphone

Crestwood, Wilshire, Casino, Sheraton, Coronet, Broadway, Riviera, Emperor, Wildcat

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I guess I wouldn't mind as much if they would continually make the real Epiphone models available.  They seem to roll out 1 or 2 at a time max. and mostly focus on selling LPs, SGs and ESs. 

 

Epiphone

Crestwood, Wilshire, Casino, Sheraton, Coronet, Broadway, Riviera, Emperor, Wildcat

Currently the Epiphone design Crestwood, Wilshire, Casino, Sheraton, Coronet, Riviera, Emperor, Wildkat and DC Pro are in production.

I think the profits from Epiphone are keeping Gibson afloat. Epiphone is re-introducing their earlier product line as well, like my Wilshire, which is also excellent.

AovIPtC.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I don't understand the need.   Epiphone has their own unique models.   Why cut back on Epiphone models and push these wanna be Gibson guitars??   Especially when there are so many other companies that already produce Gibson knockoffs.   

There is no 'they' for Epiphone. Its KKR, a private equity firm who owns the brand names Gibson and Epiphone (here in Australia they make biscuits/cookies) - if they didn't make these, KKR would be missing out on the large and assumingly lucrative Gibson knockoff market which is much bigger than the Epiphone model market - unless they branded these much cheaper guitars Gibson ...in which case they would maybe wipe out the competition in the knockoff market. Mostly Epiphone just means cheap Gibson to buyers nowadays is my guess?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Case could use some stickers.

Indeed.

I already have a heap ton of stickers on my HD-28V and 00-18 cases, but the one thing my V case needs is a few more latches. 18 is not enough.

 

6PDCuji.jpg

YzRfRpo.jpg

 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Have always had a soft spot forEpiphone since I got my first new one in 64, at that time there was also a new Gibson SG Special  in the store that was less than double the price of mine. The price difference stayed pretty stable until Epiphone went off shore. It seemed the around 80's 90's Gibsons price seemed to start increasing exponentially.

These new Epiphone ES's starting in 2020, replaced the awkward headstock that so many were uncomfortable with, using Epiphones earlier Kalamazoo style. The three 2020 versions that I recently bought were setup RTP (ready to play) right out of the box.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Michmac - Same here - I have a '69 the slightly different shape as the red one you posted with batwing headstock made in Kalamazoo. Its a fine guitar and sold as an alternative to an SG.  I suspect most people who are 'uncomfortable' with the headstock are just wishing it looked like the Gibson one so they could better pretend it was a Gibson - the old batwing isn't pretty to my eyes but then again anything other than a Les Paul or Strat headstock looks slightly odd to me for whatever reason.

Ghost - yes. Back in the seventies could have kept using Orville or Kalamazoo for the cheap stuff and left Epi as it was.

Edited by 'Scales
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 'Scales said:

Michmac - Same here - I have a '69 the slightly different shape as the red one you posted with batwing headstock made in Kalamazoo. Its a fine guitar and sold as an alternative to an SG.  I suspect most people who are 'uncomfortable' with the headstock are just wishing it looked like the Gibson one so they could better pretend it was a Gibson - the old batwing isn't pretty to my eyes but then again anything other than a Les Paul or Strat headstock looks slightly odd to me for whatever reason.

Ghost - yes. Back in the seventies could have kept using Orville or Kalamazoo for the cheap stuff and left Epi as it was.

I had a 65 Silver Fox with Batwing Headstock and single P90, it was a great playing guitar, I have always loved the Batwing Headstock.. Oh I bought it in a pawn shop for $75 in the early 90's, wish I had it now.

In truth having owned several of the early Kalamazoo made Epiphones,  they didn't spend  a lot of time on fit and finish but they played good. In my opinion these 2020 Epiphones, since the re-org, have easily surpassed the quality level of the first Kalamazoo electrics. My 2020 59 style Wilshire is the best built of its family so far.

Edited by mihcmac
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

And that's a shame.  There used to be but the brand has been ruined and the original history erased.  

What are you talking about?  The original history hasn’t been erased. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never wanted an Inspired By Fender Squire or an Inspired By Martin Sigma.  It's like an Inspired By Cadillac Chevy.

rct

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rct said:

I've never wanted an Inspired By Fender Squire or an Inspired By Martin Sigma.  It's like an Inspired By Cadillac Chevy.

rct

Don't you have inspired by MIM Fender and or a Japan one?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mexicans yes, Japanese no, not ever.  But they aren't Inspired By anybody, they are a company making them in that country instead of in this country.  Although the Japanese Fenders were intended to stay over there and undercut the fake industry.

rct

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rct said:

Mexicans yes, Japanese no, not ever.  But they aren't Inspired By anybody, they are a company making them in that country instead of in this country.  Although the Japanese Fenders were intended to stay over there and undercut the fake industry.

rct

"Inspired By Gibson" is a product line on the Epiphone web site that lists licensed LP's ES's, SG's and so on. My Marshall AVT stack was MIM, but no worry I won't mention who made your TM.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know who made my TM and I'm not the least worried.   What does that have to do with any of this "Inspired By" crapola?

rct

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, rct said:

I know who made my TM and I'm not the least worried.   What does that have to do with any of this "Inspired By" crapola?

rct

Thats just how Gibson had the Gibson designed models listed on the Epiphone site

Edited by mihcmac
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...