Gibson Brands Forums

Inspired By Gibson, Epiphone ES-335

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

The guitar in the demo looks real nice.  He did say he needed to adjust the truss rod right away.  That wouldn't be a problem for most of us I imagine, but a novice player who buys the Epiphone to save some money might not have the experience to do that, and could be put off by the high action etc. that too much forward bow can present.

As for the sound of it he didn't really give us a chance to hear what it sounds like on it's own.  Everything he played was run through a tube screamer.   That's fine if that's  your style, but isn't really giving a good demo of how the guitar sounds clean on it's own.

I don't know if you have ever had a TubeScreamer, they by design do not drive very much supposed to sound like a tube amp with a minuscule amount of drive. I still have few of them of different generations giving clean sustain or presence, kind of like a Black Finger.

OK so some fairly clean 335/339

Edited by mihcmac
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Geez Sparky - whatever the bet was...you earned it!  

I've never wanted an Inspired By Fender Squire or an Inspired By Martin Sigma.  It's like an Inspired By Cadillac Chevy. rct

Case could use some stickers.

19 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Inspired by Marilyn-Monroe. 

😬

6cL7wBd.jpg

Reminds me of a guy at work that told me he dresses up in his wife's Lingerie, and showed me a photo with him in a dress, and the whole susbang. Wig, lipsick nail polish. He was weird. Even had his beard still on.  Jim Debose used to say, "Where do they get em' and why do they keep em'? " Lol. I do miss Jim. Every day, he came back from lunch quating that while shaking his head. 

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Mr. Natural said:

I thought someone said Epiphone's history had been erased!  Did you just make up all that stuff about Turkey, and lutes, and The House of Stathopoulo, and banjos, and ....?

Nah.  Just Google and Wiki the info.  Not hard to find.

Whitefang

• Thanks 1
On 4/15/2021 at 9:17 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I thought it was Epiphone - Bought By Gibson.

How can I get a confused emoji. Obviously whoever did it doesn't know Gibson bought out Epi in the late 50's.

• Thanks 1

So what I meant by their history being "erased": When I was a 12-15 year old guitar player, I thought Epiphones were Gibson's low end cheap knockoffs (like Fender's "Squier") and they had a terrible reputation.  Because that's what they had become. 

And not because the original company Epiphone wanted to do that.  It was Gibson who acquired the company and then ruined a great guitar maker.   Gibson eats their competition but you can never accuse them of a monopoly as long as Fender is around.  

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Gibson eats their competition but you can never accuse them of a monopoly as long as Fender is around.  

Last I checked Martin and Taylor and Gretsch and Ric and Guild and PRS are still around and none of which have or will probably ever be owned by Gibson.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Last I checked Martin and Taylor and Gretsch and Ric and Guild and PRS are still around and none of which have or will probably ever be owned by Gibson.

How many of those really compete with what Gibson does directly?  It would have made more sense to say Ibanez.   I think in recent years Gibson has lost the ability to acquire other companies like they did in the past.  But sadly it's too late for Epiphone. 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

How many of those really compete with what Gibson does directly?  It would have made more sense to say Ibanez.   I think in recent years Gibson has lost the ability to acquire other companies like they did in the past.  But sadly it's too late for Epiphone. 

Taylor and Martin are Gibson's direct competition in the acoustic world, obviously not the electric market. Ric people are fanatical about them. PRS's are out there. Obviously we see more Gibson and Fender electrics over any other brand, but those other makers are still around and selling guitars.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Aye I wasn't really thinking acoustics.  I wonder how those sales stack up to electric sales?  I bet they make way more money off electric guitars. 

I'm sure Gibson makes the majority of its money off electric sales. I am certain Martin outsells Gibson in the acoustic world. Taylor sells a ton of acoustics. Taylor makes electrics but you rarely see em.  Guild has its fan base in the acoustic world and used to be huge in the 60's and 70's. Ever pick up an old Guild. They are build like Sherman Tanks. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm sure Gibson makes the majority of its money off electric sales. I am certain Martin outsells Gibson in the acoustic world. Taylor sells a ton of acoustics. Taylor makes electrics but you rarely see em.  Guild has its fan base in the acoustic world and used to be huge in the 60's and 70's. Ever pick up an old Guild. They are build like Sherman Tanks. 

I never owned any of the acoustics you just mentioned but Guild has always been in my mind to get one some day. 

3 minutes ago, Retired said:

I never owned any of the acoustics you just mentioned but Guild has always been in my mind to get one some day. 

I owned a Guild JF-30. Maple back and sides. It was a heavy mother and maple is okay as a tone wood, but after owning an acoustic with one maple didn't wow me. I know Gibson and Guild do many maple guitars. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Posted (edited)

There is a Flame top version of the Epiphone ES-335 Figured with the Raspberry Tea Burst for 50 bucks more..

front-banner-1600_900.png

also a Blueberry Burst.....

Edited by mihcmac
19 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I owned a Guild JF-30. Maple back and sides. It was a heavy mother and maple is okay as a tone wood, but after owning an acoustic with one maple didn't wow me. I know Gibson and Guild do many maple guitars. 

There's a guy, head of our music at church that plays a Gibson every Sunday. I talked to him about his guitar.  You heard about Seagull before, A Canada made guitar? I almost bought one of them. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I bought a Seagull S-6, I think it was?

I kept it for a week and returned it if that tells you anything.

Really,  Junk then huh? 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Retired said:

There's a guy, head of our music at church that plays a Gibson every Sunday. I talked to him about his guitar.  You heard about Seagull before, A Canada made guitar? I almost bought one of them. 

I have strummed a few in GC. They are not that expensive and never wowed me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Not to be a smartass but aside from an arch top or two didn’t Gibson basically introduce all of the desirable Epiphone models during that ‘57-mid 60s period? 

It seems Gibson giveth and taketh away

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Not to be a smartass but aside from an arch top or two didn’t Gibson basically introduce all of the desirable Epiphone models during that ‘57-mid 60s period? 

It seems Gibson giveth and taketh away

Very accurate, the Gibson boys designed all of the desirable early solid body Electrics, starting with the Coronet and used the already established  Epiphone badge, for there affordable product line. Epiphone does not compete with Gibson they are Gibson, but run a price range where the Gibson models cannot participate.

This is what the 58 Coronet looked like.

epiphone-coronet-460-100-200-70.jpg

Edited by mihcmac