Gibson Brands Forums

Montana Baked Dove, Anyone?

BoSoxBiker

So, yesterday was a few things. Normally, it'd be tax-day here in the States. It was the Battleaxe's and my 32nd anniversary.  We each had our second dose injections yesterday, watched the Red Sox lose a close one to the Twins. After that, I played my D-41 and waited for  my brand-spanking new Frank Hannon Love Dove to arrive. Not just any Love Dove, but the one from up yonder in Bozeman, Montana at Music Villa featured in the video below.

It's no secret that I had been Jonesing one for several years, but it never made it past 2nd place until this year. The torrefied top was particularly enticing. I've been looking at a lot of things online, but kept coming back to this. Lots of deja vu moments between this and my 2018 Hummingbird with the same Cherry Burst thing going. Actually, the same could be said between the Dove and the 2020 SJ-200 Historical Collection. Almost perfectly similar setups, frets, finish, etc. Both have baked tops. 

It's louder than I thought it was going to be.  There is some indescribable and good similarity in sound to both the Hummingbird and the SJ-200s. Some strange combination. The Rock and Roll growl to the mid range I get in the Hummingbird combined with some warmth of the SJ-200s. 

The downside. As with last Summer's SJ-200 purchase, there is a nut issue. I've called and arrangements are in place for when I give the word. I'll be without her for a bit if that's the case. 😞

I'll take some proper pics tomorrow or the next day. For now, a little repeat of their video from last Summer. I wonder what you folks think of the string slack type of noise very early in the video? A little low action or some sympathetic noise from nut slots or something. The easy to play commentary is no off the cuff statement. Nor is the powerhouse comment. This thing is bad-arse and a frog's hair away from perfection. I can't imagine why it didn't sell for 8 months.

• Like 1

Bwahaha -  Battleaxe.  I do not have me one of those but I do have the warden.  Anyway congrats on  the 32 years.

If  I were to buy a square shoulder Gibson it would probably be a Dove.  While it may be petty of me I am not sure though I could make peace with one with that guy from Teslas's name on it.  Coincidentally I have been reading Chris Hillman's autobiography (my wife bought me a signed copy as a present) and one of the photos shows him on stage with the Flying Burrito Bros. playing that natural top Dove with the P90 mounted underneath the fingerboard extension.  I had always associated that guitar with Gram Parsons who was also, of course in the band.  It just adds fuel to the Dove fire.       

4 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Bwahaha -  Battleaxe.  I do not have me one of those but I do have the warden.  Anyway congrats on  the 32 years.

If  I were to buy a square shoulder Gibson it would probably be a Dove.  While it may be petty of me I am not sure though I could make peace with one with that guy from Teslas's name on it.  Coincidentally I have been reading Chris Hillman's autobiography (my wife bought me a signed copy as a present) and one of the photos shows him on stage with the Flying Burrito Bros. playing that natural top Dove with the P90 mounted underneath the fingerboard extension.  I had always associated that guitar with Gram Parsons who was also, of course in the band.  It just adds fuel to the Dove fire.       

People used to ask me why I called here that. My reply was because I couldn't remember her real name. 😁

I was inspired to play some Gram Parsons after I read this. Return of the Grievous Angel sounded particularly at home on this. No idea what he actually used on it or if he was only singing, but I guess it doesn't matter.

4 hours ago, J185cat said:

Congrats BoSox!  That looks like a terrific new addition.  You are definitely raising the guitar “profile” of the Triangle area.

We gots to get together after this pandemic thing has passed to compare and contrast out Maples. 😎 

1 hour ago, BoSoxBiker said:

We gots to get together after this pandemic thing has passed to compare and contrast out Maples. 😎 

Agree.  Found out my new next door neighbour used to teach music theory at Penn State and was in a band that played up and down the east coast including Cats Cradle in Chapel Hill.

3 hours ago, J185cat said:

Agree.  Found out my new next door neighbour used to teach music theory at Penn State and was in a band that played up and down the east coast including Cats Cradle in Chapel Hill.

Oh cool! I hope he is still working in music.

(Unrelated) I miss having Jesse over at Sam Ash. 

And some pics. The lighting does little justice on the Dove's back and sides, but it is bright red no matter what the lighting is. I prefer the red of the Mahogany much better than the Maple. I do like the both, of course. 🙂

Some more on the Dove after a few days. This is a good tone fit for my collection. I can hear that Gibson square shoulder DNA in it. It's got the torrefied energy I got with the SJ-200 RW last year. Just lots of nice similarities to the others, but different enough to not be totally redundant. The Gibson motorized mid-range thing is strong, but at a lower frequency than the Hummingbird. The brightness is different. More space for my vocals to come through. It is the most comfortable acoustic guitar I have had. We've bonded nicely already.

New strings, mid 40's humidity and nights in the case with the Humidipaks have helped with the minor string sympathetic interference noises. Neck relief lowered to .009", closer to .008", which is close to there I like it. It just seemed to tighten up a bit over a few days. One thing for sure is that the guitar is here to stay. I can't say enough good things about the pair of 2020 Gibsons I got this past year. A little extra care and craftsmanship on the nuts would be all I can come up with bad to say.

Picture time  - warning - lots of red.

SyiSJnz.jpg

S8AXstb.jpg

wDOnoRk.jpg

HZdsF0y.jpg

4X4inYR.jpg

xvj0O8g.jpg

The red back is not showing up well at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is serious. It's just so tempting to see them stand there offering their individual virtues'n'pleasures.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   And it seems as if you already have a grip around how their differences are defined. A theme that intrigues me several times a week. 

Actually still wonder if the mythological G-sound (which origin remains unknown) I carried with me from youth and began to chase over 10 years ago rose from a Dove or a Bird.  

On 4/18/2021 at 8:06 PM, E-minor7 said:

This is serious. It's just so tempting to see them stand there offering their individual virtues'n'pleasures.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   And it seems as if you already have a grip around how their differences are defined. A theme that intrigues me several times a week. 

Actually still wonder if the mythological G-sound (which origin remains unknown) I carried with me from youth and began to chase over 10 years ago rose from a Dove or a Bird.  

There is an interesting learning period going on as far as learning the differences. The normal experience is one of discovery and some instinctive adjustment. This one has had a few, "where did that come from?" moments. In the end, though, I think string differences will ultimately help to define the sonic differences. If it's anything like my SJ-200s, I mean.

I don't know what the exactly what the "mythological G-sound" is, but I think I might know.  I sometimes wonder if it's related at all to that "Gibson Motor" I've mentioned in the past. That motor I mention is most definitely a G-string centric thing. I could be way off in my understanding of this.

On 4/18/2021 at 5:27 PM, Dave F said:

Nice! Signature model by label and truss rod cover only is a nice feature. Most artist like to add something to the looks. 

I agree. I think my tastes have gravitated to that. I don't mind bling and red, but some of those Artists series can be taxing on my eyes. The approach they took with the Sheryl Crow and Jackson Browne models, for example, to appeal to me. I thought this Dove fit into that loose concept nicely.

7 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

There is an interesting learning period going on as far as learning the differences. The normal experience is one of discovery and some instinctive adjustment. This one has had a few, "where did that come from?" moments. In the end, though, I think string differences will ultimately help to define the sonic differences. If it's anything like my SJ-200s, I mean.

Yes, hyper intriguing.

Instinctive adjustment - mentally as physically. 

I read this as positive - thinking twice it could be the opposite.

Hmmm, , , I personally use identical strings to compare identical AND similar guitars. Maybe I get you wrong. . 

I don't know what the exactly what the "mythological G-sound" is, but I think I might know.  I sometimes wonder if it's related at all to that "Gibson Motor" I've mentioned in the past. That motor I mention is most definitely a G-string centric thing. I could be way off in my understanding of this.

Guess we all carry our own personal versions of this phenomenon.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I really don't know from where or which source mine sprung, , , records and perhaps one lovely acoustic Gibson met far back on the track. Unfortunately strangely forgotten. .                                                                                                                     You seem to have come a long way in analyzing/tracing yours. FAB !

16 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

I read this as positive - thinking twice it could be the opposite.

I think it is.

Hmmm, , , I personally use identical strings to compare identical AND similar guitars. Maybe I get you wrong. . 

I do the same thing, but my comment was about after comparisons are over with.  I would hope someday to be good enough at tonal analysis to choose strings that exploit desirable characteristics on each guitar while lessening any undesirable ones.  Of course, it's easier to change picks and technique, but it doesn't hurt to hedge the bets from time to time.

Guess we all carry our own personal versions of this phenomenon.     

That's being very gracious. Mine should probably be changed from "version" to "misunderstanding". 😀  

15 hours ago, Jinder said:

I keep coming back to this thread just to look at the pictures again! What a stunning guitar the FHLD is. If it sounds half as good as it looks it must be glorious.

It is a real treat to play. The guitar is, though, on the way back to the store for them to take care of the nut.

Playing around/above the nut issues, though, there is a fantastic voice that comes out. It's said "take my lead" more than once. One particular instance is how the guitar and myself seemed to feed off each other during an over simplified version of Dinah Washington's "This Bitter Earth" (* - see below) as imported and morphed into a string ensemble package. I'd been messing with this for a few months, but going nowhere. One 10+ minute session with the Dove, though. It was one of those great moments.

I tried again later with other guitars and didn't come close. I have to wait until the Dove flies home to see if it was a one time thing or if we can repeat our session. One of many reasons why it was tough to let go of it for a couple weeks.  Such a great voice.

* = the version of the song "This Bitter Earth" that I referred above to is a modern day string ensemble effort by Max Richter named "This Bitter Earth / One the Nature of Light". He imported the Dinah Washington original and morphed it into his en expanded version featuring a small string ensemble.  Well, it's Sunday morning for many of us. Slap some headphones on and kick back for a few minutes.  I hope everyone likes it. 

• 2 weeks later...

An Update - My Dove arrived back at the store safe and sound, got examined within a few days and sure enough, it was a faulty nut on at least 3 levels. It's now been replaced and gets shipped out to me today. He seemed pleased with the result.

It's always nice to know oneself is not going totally bonkers. It was such a relief to get the call Saturday with his findings backing up what I had landed on. (phew!)

Despite the limitations, I got rather hooked in the limited time I had it.  Hopefully it will be good to go with the new nut. <knocking on wood> 

An Update - My Dove arrived back at the store safe and sound, got examined within a few days and sure enough, it was a faulty nut on at least 3 levels. It's now been replaced and gets shipped out to me today. He seemed pleased with the result.

It's always nice to know oneself is not going totally bonkers. It was such a relief to get the call Saturday with his findings backing up what I had landed on. (phew!)

Despite the limitations, I got rather hooked in the limited time I had it.  Hopefully it will be good to go with the new nut. <knocking on wood> 

Good to hear that they fixed it quick.