Gibson Brands Forums

Choosing a Hummingbird

Ziv Zac

Hey!

Just gathered about 2k and decided to spend them on a guitar, trying to pick between a new hummingbird studio or a used 2014 hummingbird,

normally I would go for the used one, but  this one is without the original pickguard - hence the lower price - If I were to get it I would just take off the white one they installed.

I understand it's close to impossible to get an original pickguard from Gibson.

Any thoughts?

vpgrvgequq1owitaezre.jpeg

rhylx5xk7qpwlrm46xfy.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey - basically an exciting situation to be in.

The 2 are highly different and I would go for the 2014 Bird. There's simply more guitar to gather there.                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Wonder how the snowy guard emerged. It looks well proportioned/placed and it should be possible to live with it, , , at least for a while.                                                                                                                                                               But yes, it's hard to find the real thing - and if you do it'll cost a half Ferrari.  

Let's hear more. . 

• Like 2

I’m with Em7 here...the 2014 is just more all round. I like the white guard, but if you wanted a replacement Bird guard there are plenty of repro units around, and Gibson will (or certainly did) supply replacement units, albeit at some expense.

• Like 2

Screw the Studio.

Go with the used one. Furthermore, unlike cars, I'd buy the oldest I could find.

I couldn't stand the shallow neck profile of the Bird. So I sold my 2012 Bird for 2,500 last summer.

That money paid for both a  2010 J-45, and a 1955 ES-125.

• Like 2

Incidentally, my friend's Bird, my old Bird, and apparently the one in your bottom pic all suffer from some pickguard adhesion issue.

If you like the white replacement one in that pic, then keep it. Otherwise, replacing the pickguard can be tricky.

I believe Gibson, in order to curb fake Gibsons, does not sell Gibson replacement Bird p-guards.

All Parts sells them. Although I seem to remember hearing things about theirs not being the exact size. Perhaps others here can chime in.

Lastly, I always remove the Grover mushroom tuners from my Gibsons. They look robotic to me. White/Cream buttons, or if you like the western flair, the Keystone/Tulips would be a nice swap. It would also make the neck and headstock of your guitar feel lighter. Kluson and Gotoh make fine tuners that stay in tune. I stand by those companies.

Edited by jibberish
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jibberish said:

Lastly, I always remove the Grove mushroom tuners from my Gibsons. They look robotic to me. White/Cream buttons, or if you like the western flair, the Keystone/Tulips would be a nice swap. It would also make the neck and headstock of your guitar feel lighter. Kluson and Gotoh make fine tuners that stay in tune. I stand by those companies.

Heard ^ goin' for a set of cream-white ovals would make this a Southern Jumbo with a personality of its completely own. . 

• Like 2

I have not played the guitars you are asking OP. But, I do believe reading other threads steering people away from the studio. I would go for the 2014 HB - BTW, I REALLY like the white pickguard. On another note, I believe you can take to a Gibson authorized service and they can get you an original pickguard from Gibson.

Thanks guys! this was really helpful - I was kinda feeling the same way but needed some reassurance...

On the same subject, any reason to suspect it not being authentic?

He is including the original hard case, trust rod cover and saddle.

The serial number makes sense.

f7aqtlyyzhpmv7wgd9yn.jpeg

dmocre6jrkbal9kcl7lt.jpeg

yny6x9eeaaqjd3dt9grc.jpeg

ey5rc48mgliub1qmthth.jpeg

m87ijvdbbvlg10yghpqx.jpeg

r8spcqvrtrd2nga7pbj2.jpeg

lsnofr5c8hcdc2ytyq8v.jpeg

owjwfdsfkghuwpdpydyx.jpeg

The Bird is a real Gibson, no doubt. Don't know, but either the (so called) flubber-guard rolled off or else the former owner felt like selling the garden to pay his rent. 

Btw. I don't want to talk the Hummingbird Studio down.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           This new version is not as deep as the body-shapes we normally use, which is heard in the sound and present in the entire feel of the guitar.                                                                                                                                       Not necessarily a bad thing and actually useful for some recordings. The name is well chosen. 

Edited by E-minor7
  • Like 1