Gibson Brands Forums

AMPS ...

Karloff

I'm sure this has been covered a few times but what amps does everyone have and which one(s) do you seem to like the best ?

I have a Blackstar Club 40 combo with extension cab, a Traynor YCS50 combo, a Fender Blues DeVille 4x10 & a Peavey Classic mini head I use with a Epiphone cab.  I seem to use the Blackstar the most. my ear gets accustomed to one & I stick with it. a creature of habit I guess ...

• Like 1

something like-a-this-a

• Marshall JTM 60 2x12, (sits on top of the JTM 2x12 Extension cab)   had that since forver. (mid 90s)
  • Fender Hot Rod Deville (the 4x10 version)  (98 or 99??)
  • Gibson Goldtone GA30RVS (it's 2 15watt Cathode biased class A amps on a single chassis)  the 2002 version Made in USA one not made in UK
  • Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb (my only solid state amp)
  • Marshall DSL40cr 

I use all of them, they've all got something unique going on.  I run the JTM60 and the Deville as a stereo rig in our Originals band.  We tend to get loud.

My bro-inlaw has the Club 60, (big brother to yours).  That's a pretty nice amp..

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I'm with you on the creature of habit bit but for me it's Marshall: DSL-40C, Origin 20C and a JCM 2000 100W head with a 4-10 angled cabinet.

The 1/2 stack is a bit much for my neighborhood, though.

I am gasing my arse off for one of the JVM 2 channel heads...  I don't see a 4x12 to pair with it,  but a 1936V 2x12 would do me just fine.

I also really like the DSL I have,  A great little combo with a lot of Marshall attitude.  Heck I'd even do the DLS 100W head, I would still hold out for the 1936V cab tho..

• Like 3

I'm kinda 'old-school".

I have a solid state Fender Bassman I used when I was playing out.   Not TOO big to haul around and no worries if it gets damaged.

I have a solid state Fender Champ Amp that sits behind the piano in the living room.   There for singing while playing the Baby Grand there, (it's so loud it drowns out my voice....which is probably a good thing).   It is a mint green color so it matches the room.

I have a small LANEY I keep hooked up to the keyboard in the music room.

I keep a small amp in the motor home 'just in case'.

But my 'main' amp is my dad's old Tube Fender Princeton.   I've had the chassis completely rehabbed, new tubes, electric chord....but I left the outside just the way  my dad had it.

My BIG amp is an old Tube Fender Dual Showman Reverb amp.   Again, I've had the chassis completely rehabbed, new tubes, new Tolex and Grillcloth.   I got two new-old stock JBL 15" speakers and new grill cloth on the speaker box.   I LOVE it....it's just too danged big to haul around....it's too big to fit in the music room, so it stays in the office.

No photo description available.

May be an image of indoor

No photo description available.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I am gasing my arse off for one of the JVM 2 channel heads...  I don't see a 4x12 to pair with it,  but a 1936V 2x12 would do me just fine.

I also really like the DSL I have,  A great little combo with a lot of Marshall attitude.  Heck I'd even do the DLS 100W head, I would still hold out for the 1936V cab tho..

lately I've been jonesin' for another Orange. looking at the TH30 heads. and 2 1x12 orange cabs. Vin 30's. have a Orange 1/4 stack ...

• Like 2

Cheap stuff for me and all starting to scatter to the grandkids! One house has a cheap 8 inch Epiphone and a Line6 150 watt 212 combo. Another household has a 40 watt,12 inch Bass practice amp and a 15w Stage Right. At home i have a Marshall DSL 40C, a 75watt Line6 Spider Jam and a Hughs and Kettner 5 watt head. 

I made a plate with a jack and switch  that i installed on both of the Line 6 amps, bypassing everything, to be used as cabinets for the H&K. Works well! 

Mainly use the Line6 Spider as 95% of my  music mutilation is with headphones and it has a bunch of drum tracks built in that are somewhat useful. 

• Like 2

Just now, ghost_of_fl said:

What I got:

Fender Mustang III v1

Fender Super Reverb Amp (1969)

What I want:

Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10

Vox AC15C1

I really like my 4x10 DeVille. it just weighs a ton ... still lighter than Ray's Gibson combo ...

Just now, Karloff said:

I really like my 4x10 DeVille. it just weighs a ton ... still lighter than Ray's Gibson combo ...

Just saw this reply...

haha!  that sucker has it's own center of Gravity!!!  

the 4x10 is a hefty bastid though..  however  it is a lot of amp.  You definitely want to get a good OD pedal or two.. the Gain channel kind of not my cup of tea.

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

Just saw this reply...

haha!  that sucker has it's own center of Gravity!!!  

the 4x10 is a hefty bastid though..  however  it is a lot of amp.  You definitely want to get a good OD pedal or two.. the Gain channel kind of not my cup of tea.

the local store I frequent had one about 10 yrs back. I thought it was bolted to the floor ...

Currently I am using Two Stage Right 15 watt tube amps. and Six Roland Micro Cubes. Also two small 9v amps a Mini Marshall and a Honey tone. In addition I have two Fenders a Deluxe 900 and an FM 100 1/2 stack kind of slated for retirement.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 2

Out of all the Amps I have the ones I like most are,

65 Fender PRRI - Completely Stock - Best all around small Amp! 

Vox AC15CC1X - Celestion Alnico Blue - upgraded Tung Sol Tubes - otherwise completely Stock - Best all around mid size Amp! 

• Like 2

Fender Rivera designed red-knob Super 60 1x12 combo with a Celestion G12-65 is my main gigging amp.  I don't use the drive channel.

I also gig a completely rebuilt genuine old Vox AC10 head through a Fender 1x12".  Think this is probably the best-sounding amp but not nearly as much headroom as the others.

Then there's my 70s Fender Vibro-Champ and I want to get a good Weber speaker at the correct ohmage for it.

In the cupboard at the moment are a Fender Dual Showman Reverb in a 2x12 combo which I think must have originally been a special order.  It's a 70s silverface master volume, 135w.    And a Park 100w MV head which has had the Trainwreck mod.  I have a Marshall 1922 2x12 cab for that, slightly too small for the amp to sit on.  Both of these need a good long, loud run.

So that's 5 valve amps.   I'm a diehard valve amper but I have a Roland Micro-Cube too - handy! - which has a JC setting I like as I once had a JC120.

As I am in the UK these are 240v mains (the Micro Cube has an external psu).

I sold my 2 Twin Reverb II combos.  Beautiful sound but became a bit fussy as they aged.  I pulled all the muscles on the right side of my chest picking one up - probably 10 years ago now -  to load it into the car before a gig, and that was the day I had to finally accept that 2x12 combos are too much for me.  Now I have a trolley and the Super 60 is heavy enough.

BUT when/if I get a chance to gig again I am taking the big amps out.  YOLO. 

[smile]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 2

Mesa Mini Rectifier Twenty Five (head)

Engl Gig Master 15 (head)

Orange OR15 (head)

Bugera Infinium V22 (head)

Fender Super Champ XD (combo)

VOX AD30VT (combo)

Marshall CODE 25 (combo)

Peavey Valveking MH20 (head)

Quilter Toneblock 200 (head)

Acoustic Bass Amp 200 W (combo)

Acoustic Bass Amp 20W (combo)

• Like 2

OK, I'll play. All I want, all I need:

Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 combo original (no EQ),  1x12

Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb, updated firmware

Carvin MB210 Bass amp

Edited by zigzag
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Out of all the Amps I have the ones I like most are,

65 Fender PRRI - Completely Stock - Best all around small Amp! 

Vox AC15CC1X - Celestion Alnico Blue - upgraded Tung Sol Tubes - otherwise completely Stock - Best all around mid size Amp! 

I'd love another Vox amp. The last one burned out long ago. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot of great amps here. I've  only had 5 amps in my life so not much experience in playing around with them.  I have 2 amps now.  A Fender Mustang two and a Fender Super Champ X2  which I use all the time.  I do miss the old Vox amp I had though, Might get another one sometime?  I had tons of playing time on it  and up to 6 hours per day. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Retired said:

I'd love another Vox amp. The last one burned out long ago. 

I have quite a few Amps but the AC15CC1X is my go to mid size Amp... I do have a heavily modded recent AC10C1 that is my #3 Amp....

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I have quite a few Amps but the AC15CC1X is my go to mid size Amp... I do have a heavily modded recent AC10C1 that is my #3 Amp....

Someday, when I have absolutely nothing to do and maybe Deb gone gone out shopping for quilt stuff, I will go and play a bunch of amps at the store. Not real sure what I might get? I loved all the effects the Vox did have, didn't need any pedals. 

• Like 1

'52 Gibson BR-6 needing work, Peavey acoustic amp, '79 Champ, '73 Princeton Reverb, '66 Deluxe Reverb, '74 Deluxe Reverb, '74 Bassman 1X15 Combo, Tweedle Dee Deluxe, Tweed Pro 5E5A, '92 Pro Junior converted to 6V6's and ready to go into this new cab I'm making.  Here it is before I lacquered it yesterday -

173971199_10221773134250809_196607929126173820408_10221773134610818_958284098521175344979_10221788957206373_111407405140

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

'52 Gibson BR-6 needing work, Peavey acoustic amp, '79 Champ, '73 Princeton Reverb, '66 Deluxe Reverb, '74 Deluxe Reverb, '74 Bassman 1X15 Combo, Tweedle Dee Deluxe, Tweed Pro 5E5A, '92 Pro Junior converted to 6V6's and ready to go into this new cab I'm making.  Here it is before I lacquered it yesterday -

173971199_10221773134250809_196607929126173820408_10221773134610818_958284098521175344979_10221788957206373_111407405140

you do some beautiful work BBP ...

• Like 1