Gibson Brands Forums

Very nice Jon.  John.  I forget which spelling, but not how good your stuff looks and sounds.  I may just knock on your garage door one of these days and commission myself one of yours.

rct

• Like 1
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like my wife! “You don’t need any more Guitars!” “You don’t even have any more room for them!”. “How many can you play at the same time.”. LOL!

'52 Gibson BR-6 needing work, Peavey acoustic amp, '79 Champ, '73 Princeton Reverb, '66 Deluxe Reverb, '74 Deluxe Reverb, '74 Bassman 1X15 Combo, Tweedle Dee Deluxe, Tweed Pro 5E5A, '92 Pro Junior con

I pretty much stopped doing repairs last year.  I did that for about eight years doing as much work as I could stand.  Last year, with all the problems with trying to have people in the shop working f

2 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

'52 Gibson BR-6 needing work, Peavey acoustic amp, '79 Champ, '73 Princeton Reverb, '66 Deluxe Reverb, '74 Deluxe Reverb, '74 Bassman 1X15 Combo, Tweedle Dee Deluxe, Tweed Pro 5E5A, '92 Pro Junior converted to 6V6's and ready to go into this new cab I'm making.  Here it is before I lacquered it yesterday -

173971199_10221773134250809_196607929126173820408_10221773134610818_958284098521175344979_10221788957206373_111407405140

Think I remember that you build and repair amps don't you? Thats an excellent trade. I read many of the older players used to tweak the amps to get tones, or sounds like no other. I wonder if that still goes on?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Karloff said:

you do some beautiful work BBP ...

Yes indeed. look at that work shop too! I used to have one when I lived at home and drag raced, but that was decades ago. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I have quite a few Amps but the AC15CC1X is my go to mid size Amp... I do have a heavily modded recent AC10C1 that is my #3 Amp....

Very nice indeed.  About 8 to 9 hundred? Deb would shoot me Lol,  my Vox was my 1st amp after I left the Railroad for $100.00, Cheap but had around 80 some effects on it. Probably why it didn't last more than about 4 to 5 years as I played the crap out of it and it was so cheap new. Haha, yeah I'm married to the gal who asks each time I buy a guitar; "Now what makes this guitar different from the rest?" With 2 amps now, I'll have to get rid of one to get another. ("Hey Deb, This amp burned out too!") Think she will buy it? 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Retired said:

Think I remember that you build and repair amps don't you? Thats an excellent trade. I read many of the older players used to tweak the amps to get tones, or sounds like no other. I wonder if that still goes on?

I pretty much stopped doing repairs last year.  I did that for about eight years doing as much work as I could stand.  Last year, with all the problems with trying to have people in the shop working face to face in close quarters, I decided to try just working thru music stores.  Customers drop off at the store and I pick up and return there.  That became too much last summer.  Stores are crazy.  Musicians have been in a bad place in the last year and I have to see them when they're at their worst.  If I ever thought I was going to become friends with my customers, boy was I mistaken.  Nobody's got any money, most customers are one time.  They're not hiring you to be their friend.  It's been a bad year to be in a "bad news" business. 

I "revoiced" amps for people.  That's when you change out some stuff to make them sound different.

Anyway, here's a couple of pix of the cabinet all lacquered up with 4 coats of StewMac vintage amber tinted spray lacquer and two coats of brushed-on clear Bulls Eye shellac.

176091806_10221808400372440_533277455572176325579_10221808401332464_432180754720

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

I pretty much stopped doing repairs last year.  I did that for about eight years doing as much work as I could stand.  Last year, with all the problems with trying to have people in the shop working face to face in close quarters, I decided to try just working thru music stores.  Customers drop off at the store and I pick up and return there.  That became too much last summer.  Stores are crazy.  Musicians have been in a bad place in the last year and I have to see them when they're at their worst.  If I ever thought I was going to become friends with my customers, boy was I mistaken.  Nobody's got any money, most customers are one time.  They're not hiring you to be their friend.  It's been a bad year to be in a "bad news" business. 

I "revoiced" amps for people.  That's when you change out some stuff to make them sound different.

Anyway, here's a couple of pix of the cabinet all lacquered up with 4 coats of StewMac vintage amber tinted spray lacquer and two coats of brushed-on clear Bulls Eye shellac.

176091806_10221808400372440_533277455572176325579_10221808401332464_432180754720

Thanks for the response BBP 

• Like 1
Just now, Retired said:

Thanks for the response BBP 

Must have hit a wrong button as I was going to add , You do very good work. Yeah, Last year was crazy with all the Covid 19 going on. That put many restraints & business out of Business. Places here are still shutting down.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Retired said:

With 2 amps now, I'll have to get rid of one to get another. ("Hey Deb, This amp burned out too!") Think she will buy it? 

Pull the fuse and then show her the power button does nothing.  😂

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

'52 Gibson BR-6 needing work, Peavey acoustic amp, '79 Champ, '73 Princeton Reverb, '66 Deluxe Reverb, '74 Deluxe Reverb, '74 Bassman 1X15 Combo, Tweedle Dee Deluxe, Tweed Pro 5E5A, '92 Pro Junior converted to 6V6's and ready to go into this new cab I'm making.  Here it is before I lacquered it yesterday -

173971199_10221773134250809_196607929126173820408_10221773134610818_958284098521175344979_10221788957206373_111407405140

Beautiful work!

• Like 1

I only have one tube amp left and it only gets played at home when I'm in the mood.  Great sounding amp though, a Rivera Venus 6 with 1 Celestion vintage series 12" speaker.  But for performing I gave up using an amp several years ago and just ran this Eleven rack through the PA - pretty good sound quality and every amp and effect you could imagine available.  Now I mainly just play acoustic and have an AER 60/2 which is a solid state two channel amp where I can run guitar in one channel and a mic in the other.  Just a tiny little 8" speaker but it sounds clear and accurate so works for solo gigs - has it's own reverb which all I need for that type of gig. 

sJihD3T.jpg  w3CJiro.jpg

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Retired said:

Very nice indeed.  About 8 to 9 hundred? Deb would shoot me Lol,  my Vox was my 1st amp after I left the Railroad for $100.00, Cheap but had around 80 some effects on it. Probably why it didn't last more than about 4 to 5 years as I played the crap out of it and it was so cheap new. Haha, yeah I'm married to the gal who asks each time I buy a guitar; "Now what makes this guitar different from the rest?" With 2 amps now, I'll have to get rid of one to get another. ("Hey Deb, This amp burned out too!") Think she will buy it? 

Sounds like my wife! “You don’t need any more Guitars!” “You don’t even have any more room for them!”. “How many can you play at the same time.”. LOL!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Today I had some errands far from home and I sat down for a half an hour with a brand new schmokin hot pair of Princetons. Princetonii.  One Blonde and one Wine Red.  Dang.  I shouldn'ta oughta done that.

rct

• Like 2
On 4/20/2021 at 11:44 AM, Larsongs said:

Yep. That's Deb. I do try to be creative though. I tell her well, "I play the introduction to American Woman which is a Blues part and then need a different guitar to play the next part as they are in different tunings." Then if I set those 2 guitars down, and decide to play Rocky Mountain way, then I need another guitar with a 3rd different tuning, Lol. Hey, Got to outsmart them!Then there is, "These guitars are totally different, that one is a solid body and this one is a hollow body and colors and shapes too."

Just before the Corona virus thing, I got rid of my Carvin Legacy and replaced it with a 112 PRS Sonzera.  It's a decent sounding tube amp, maybe a little generic. But it's much easier to haul to gigs than the 212 Carvin and not nearly as loud,

Also have a BOSS Katana. Great for rehearsals and small gigs. Mainly only use the Clean channel though and pedals for effects even though it has Gain and built in effects.

Then a Yamaha THR10 for practicing at home.  I can set it right on the kitchen table and use headphones while my wife watches TV in the next room and it doesn't even bother her. 

Yep. That's Deb. I do try to be creative though. I tell her well, "I play the introduction to American Woman which is a Blues part and then need a different guitar to play the next part as they are in different tunings." Then if I set those 2 guitars down, and decide to play Rocky Mountain way, then I need another guitar with a 3rd different tuning, Lol. Hey, Got to outsmart them!Then there is, "These guitars are totally different, that one is a solid body and this one is a hollow body and colors and shapes too."

LOL! They’re all Tools & each one of performs a different Job...  One of my favorites... Yes, even the difference between Finishes affect the Sound.. Absolutely the Pickups, Solid Body, Hollow Body, Semi Hollow Body, Ebony vs Rosewood Neck. Then there’s Neck length and number of Frets.. Is it Single Cutaway or Double? Just so many things about Guitars!

Then there’s Amps! LOL!

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

LOL! They’re all Tools & each one of performs a different Job...  One of my favorites... Yes, even the difference between Finishes affect the Sound.. Absolutely the Pickups, Solid Body, Hollow Body, Semi Hollow Body, Ebony vs Rosewood Neck. Then there’s Neck length and number of Frets.. Is it Single Cutaway or Double? Just so many things about Guitars!

Then there’s Amps! LOL!

Yep, although I didn't know the finish made a difference. I have noticed even bigger difference's between amps. I do love my tube amp but the Mustang ll amp just sits and never played. I'm thinking about selling it or trading it in and getting a Vox amp. My Birthday is tomorrow, I turn 68 in  30  minutes here and I was going to get a Walther .45 but there was none at the store as advertised so now its the amps turn. 

• Like 1

Yep, although I didn't know the finish made a difference. I have noticed even bigger difference's between amps. I do love my tube amp but the Mustang ll amp just sits and never played. I'm thinking about selling it or trading it in and getting a Vox amp. My Birthday is tomorrow, I turn 68 in  30  minutes here and I was going to get a Walther .45 but there was none at the store as advertised so now its the amps turn. 

Happy Birthday! Fender & Vox Amps are a really combination..... Then there’s Marshall....

I don’t know if finishes make a difference in sound but it’s more ammo!

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 2

Just a Fender Blues Junior III which is what I use for gigging (can anyone remember that!), Fender Bassbreaker 007 and a Yamaha THR10 which is kind of redundant since I got the Bassbreaker, that's about all I need. 

• Like 2

I have plenty of guitar amps, two drum amps, one keyboard amp, and one bass amp. 
I need to sell most of them, but there is a wistful, sanguine, sentimental attachment that I have to learn to get over. 

In the end, my go-to amplifier is the Crate V18 tube amp. 

Just a great all-around 1x12 guitar rig that delivers. 
🙂

487051000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Happy Birthday! Fender & Vox Amps are a really combination..... Then there’s Marshall....

I don’t know if finishes make a difference in sound but it’s more ammo!

Thanks Lars, Yeah, I'm catching up to that 70 mark like my 2 sisters. Still have 2 more years though.  Marshall,. Now theres a name I always liked just like the Gibson name. Never had one of those either. 

9 hours ago, Retired said:

Happy Birthday!    4/22?    Today is my 43rd Anniversary.    I'm sure I'd  be long gone by now without my bride.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

Happy Birthday!    4/22?    Today is my 43rd Anniversary.    I'm sure I'd  be long gone by now without my bride.

Thanks, Yes, April 22 is my Birthday. and Debbie's is May 11.  And a Big Happy Anniversary to you to!   We will celebrate  our 42nd this November.