Gibson Brands Forums

I Ain't Drunk

badbluesplayer

1 hour ago, jaxson50 said:

We were really lucky to have had  the chance to see those gentlemen,  Skip James is another great, Buddy Guy and Albert Collins were six years apart in age, they were the young guys in the 1950s and 60s,  Brownie McGhee was a great blues player too,  he and Sonny Terry were two great piedmont blues men, the lineage is fun to follow, Brownie McGhee was was a student of Blind Boy Fuller, born in 1904, Brownie,  born in 1915 was a mentor  and teacher to Happy Traum , born in 1938, he  along with his brother Artie were collaborating with the likes of Bob Dylan  and Phil Ochs in Greenwich village in the early 60s,  the thread binds it all up together,  

Buddy Guy was at that same one-day blues festival in Dallas where I saw BB.  I still think of him as a "young guy".  I guess the oldest blues guys I ever saw were Pinetop Perkins and Papa John Creach.  Yeah, it would have been great to have seen guys like Skip James, Sonny & Terry, Son House, etc., etc., etc.   And going WAY back, Charley Patton and Robert Johnson.  My favorite old blues recording is Blind Willie Johnson's "Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground" (actually, I guess that's really a gospel tune.)

Edited by Mr. Natural

23 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

Of course, there should have been 20 or 30 Texas pickers on stage for the 1989 Presidential inauguration ball, maybe Jonny was a Democrat,  or perhaps he was touring. 

And yes, I remember well the Blues resurgence of the 60s,  it was good for the old blues guys till about 1964. After that they were relegated to touring college campuses,  while young white players took the spotlight.  Only a few blues players ever made bank.  BB King, and try to name the others. 

Taj Mahal doesn't count as he was not an "old blues guy " he was in his early twenties .  Buddy Guy was the young guy in the Chicago blues scene then, the young gun. 

Seriously, the blues resurgence didn't really begin until the later 1960's, with the formation of CREAM in '66, followed by the growing popularity of England's John Mayall,  the forming of Fleetwood Mac's first incarnation and by '67 hippie and "underground" FM rock stations "discovering"  guys like  Muddy, B.B. , Lightnin'  John Lee and J.B.  and Chess records, seeing the writing on the wall, reissuing all those old Chess recordings into compilation LPs and putting them on the market.  Which is how, after a spell, I was reintroduced to THESE old faves-----

And it was also thanks to none other than BOB DYLAN that some became more familiar with old time bluesmen with his first LP "covers" of---

And  Blind Lemon's...

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

The American Blues Festival which toured Britain and other European countries for several years starting in 1964 was the ignition point for the Blues resurgence. 

Here is a video about the beginnings of the tours, look in the audience,  Clapton,  Richards, Jagger and a bunch of other future  future rock gods are being schooled.  But, in Britain,  the Blues had already had a following that began during WWII when black American soldiers brought it with them.

• Like 1

Even before the American Blues Festival toured Britain Clive Davies and the R&B All Stars with John Baldry were playing to packed houses,  the band was created in 1962

Before Clive started that band he was a member of Alexis Poker's Blues Incorperated , this is from 1962

• Like 1

Rhythm & Blues and Blues aren't really identical, and then too,  there was a strain called "jump blues" that's believed to be the precursor to rock'n'roll, in which THIS major influence to Chuck Berry was a major proponent ......

And of course, "folk" blues was well loved and listened to and played among the early '60's "folkies",  but still not a major genre on the American market at the time.  And sadly enough, leave it to the British( like The Beatles, Stones and etc.)  to sponge up OUR musical culture, breathe new life into it and bring it back home!  [wink]

Whitefang

On 4/24/2021 at 1:52 AM, Mr. Natural said:

Buddy Guy was at that same one-day blues festival in Dallas where I saw BB.  I still think of him as a "young guy".  I guess the oldest blues guys I ever saw were Pinetop Perkins and Papa John Creach.  Yeah, it would have been great to have seen guys like Skip James, Sonny & Terry, Son House, etc., etc., etc.   And going WAY back, Charley Patton and Robert Johnson.  My favorite old blues recording is Blind Willie Johnson's "Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground" (actually, I guess that's really a gospel tune.)

I've seen Buddy twice and BB twice. BB and Buddy were on the same bill the last time I saw them. BB should not have been touring. He would play half of a song and , forget lyrics. It was hard to watch a legend do that. Buddy was on fire, both times I saw him. The first time I saw Buddy he made an announcement before one song and said " I'm gonna play a song so funky you can smell it". Both times he did his thing where he imitates other players and walk around in the crowd and play. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Rhythm & Blues and Blues aren't really identical, and then too,  there was a strain called "jump blues" that's believed to be the precursor to rock'n'roll, in which THIS major influence to Chuck Berry was a major proponent ......

And of course, "folk" blues was well loved and listened to and played among the early '60's "folkies",  but still not a major genre on the American market at the time.  And sadly enough, leave it to the British( like The Beatles, Stones and etc.)  to sponge up OUR musical culture, breathe new life into it and bring it back home!  [wink]

Whitefang

The Stones yes, but the Beatles?  I wouldn't consider any of their work as Blues in any form.

If we are to get technical  I will defere to  Louis Armstrong,  " all music is folk music, "

9 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've seen Buddy twice and BB twice. BB and Buddy were on the same bill the last time I saw them. BB should not have been touring. He would play half of a song and , forget lyrics. It was hard to watch a legend do that. Buddy was on fire, both times I saw him. The first time I saw Buddy he made an announcement before one song and said " I'm gonna play a song so funky you can smell it". Both times he did his thing where he imitates other players and walk around in the crowd and play. 

When I saw Buddy and BB at the same show in the '90s, BB was still on top of his game, and Buddy played at least one number through a wireless system and walking through the audience.  It was very cool.

On 4/25/2021 at 12:46 PM, jaxson50 said:

The Stones yes, but the Beatles?  I wouldn't consider any of their work as Blues in any form.

If we are to get technical  I will defere to  Louis Armstrong,  " all music is folk music, "

My reference to The Beatles was also (as it was followed with "and etc.") inclusive of all the other "British invasion" bands that, as also stated, soaked up our musical culture, breathed new life into it and brought it back home.   Like The Beatles doing covers of Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins,  Wilbert Harrison and even Buck Owen tunes.  As well as a lot of their own American rock inspired originals.  [wink]

Armstrong is entitled to his opinion, and I respect it, but you well know you're not going into any shop where you can still buy recorded music and find everything in the bins listed under one label("folk music")  [wink]  I don't care HOW much you misspell "defer".   [cool]

Whitefang

47 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

My reference to The Beatles was also (as it was followed with "and etc.") inclusive of all the other "British invasion" bands that, as also stated, soaked up our musical culture, breathed new life into it and brought it back home.   Like The Beatles doing covers of Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins,  Wilbert Harrison and even Buck Owen tunes.  As well as a lot of their own American rock inspired originals.  [wink]

Armstrong is entitled to his opinion, and I respect it, but you well know you're not going into any shop where you can still buy recorded music and find everything in the bins listed under one label("folk music")  [wink]  I don't care HOW much you misspell "defer".   [cool]

Whitefang

The topic is Blues,  and as George Harrison  credited Big Bill Broonzy as one of his inspirations,  so there is a bit of blues influence in his playing,  as for Chuck Berry and Carl Perkins, and Wilbert Harrison  they weren't Blues artist,  and I believe you were the one who was ragging on others about the difference between R& B and Blues. And Buck Owens? Not even close to Blues. 

Now let's get down to the core of this cherry you seem hell bent to pop, I don't know you from a knot hole, i dont owe you jack squat,  everyone else comes here to have friendly chats about music, Gibson Guitars and guitar stuff in general and sometimes to share a little humor or videos about music, and you take it upon yourself to agitate , insult, and inflame others,  . Where I come from we call people who do that bullies.

I hate bullies, because they are small minded wimps, usually the kind of miscreant who hurt small animals,  children and women,  and online bullies are just d I c k less punks who have to belittle others to make up for their miserable existence.  

We are done here. 

Edited by jaxson50
  • Like 1

It's worth putting the Louis Armstrong quote into context:

"Mr Armstrong, what is your definition of jazz?"

"Jazz is what I play for a living."

And when asked if jazz was folk  music,  Armstrong replied -

"Man, all music is folk music.  You ain't never heard no horse sing a song, have you?"

[laugh]

• Thanks 1

My fave from Bags is when he was asked, "What is jazz?"  replied, "If you have to ask, you'll never know."  [laugh]

And relax there, sparky.   The veer off the topic(which WAS Albert Collins, (to get technical [wink] )  was in reference to influences.  And your misstep was to claim Chuck Berry wasn't  a blues artist.  And sure, maybe not for the most of his career, but everybody gotta start somewhere, eh?    And if you learn to read, go back and re-read what my mention of Buck Owens was about.  As one of the purveyors of American musical culture British groups(like The Beatles)  soaked up and brought back with new life.   Remember this?   

Yep, a "cover" of-----   [wink]

Yeah, I know you're whining, "B-b-b-but, that's country music!"   And as long as we're going to quote old masters(like Satchmo)  I'll throw in what BLUES master B.B. KING said about country music......

"All it is, is white boy blues!"  [wink]

And please don't tell me Chuck wasn't blues-----

Whitefang

On 4/28/2021 at 11:13 AM, Whitefang said:

My fave from Bags is when he was asked, "What is jazz?"  replied, "If you have to ask, you'll never know."  [laugh]

And relax there, sparky.   The veer off the topic(which WAS Albert Collins, (to get technical [wink] )  was in reference to influences.  And your misstep was to claim Chuck Berry wasn't  a blues artist.  And sure, maybe not for the most of his career, but everybody gotta start somewhere, eh?    And if you learn to read, go back and re-read what my mention of Buck Owens was about.  As one of the purveyors of American musical culture British groups(like The Beatles)  soaked up and brought back with new life.   Remember this?   

Yep, a "cover" of-----   [wink]

Yeah, I know you're whining, "B-b-b-but, that's country music!"   And as long as we're going to quote old masters(like Satchmo)  I'll throw in what BLUES master B.B. KING said about country music......

"All it is, is white boy blues!"  [wink]

And please don't tell me Chuck wasn't blues-----

Whitefang

That is one of my favorite Chuck Berry tunes.

• Like 1