Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sheraton II EB - ?DELUXE?

lsquir

Hello,

Greetings and salutations! I've been lurking for a bit, and I thought I might jump full-on into the fray. 

I recently purchased the below Epiphone, and I am interested in idenitfying the exact model. The orange label and serial number (and headstock sticker, "Made in Korea") identify this guitar as a 2004 Epiphone Sheraton II from Unsung, Korea. Is this where my query should end? Do the Sheraton II Deluxe identify "Deluxe" on the label?

I've compared this specimen to other (2000s) Epiphone Sheraton II... and several features are inconsistent with standard Epiphone Sheraton II (as well as other models). It seems the closest comparison is to the Sheraton II "Deluxe" (and, I am not just saying that because I want my guitar to be "Deluxe"). I'd appreciate your correction, if I am mistaken below (as I do NOT have an in depth familiarity with Epi's).

In consideration of the Sheraton II "Deluxe" (for which it is difficult to find many comparables).... the specifications/features largely align with my specimen. The obvious conflict being..... my specimen is an "EB" (Ebony) where I thought that the 2003 - 4 "Deluxe" models were only "Vintage Sunburst". Yet, in comparison to the available Sheraton II examples in the 2003 catalogue (I do not have the 2004 catalogue) as well as other available online comparables:

1. The headstock on this specimen most closely resembles the "Deluxe", i.e. "Epiphone" closer towards the top binding, and the "... ph ....." is centered directly underneath the center of the "open book";  the floral vines on the headstock are higher up the headstock towards the "Epiphone" script; and the middle stem is slanted in the oppostie direction (interstingly, even this specimen seems slightly different from the available 2003 - 2004 "Deluxe" comparables, e.g. the middle stem on my specimen slants right-to-left upward, rather than left-to-right);

2. The alignment of the 3-way-switch/volume/tone controls and the input jack on my specimen most closely resemble the "Deluxe" (and, quite franklly, do not appear to look like the standard Sheraton II from any year that I have seen - although, some of you may have more experience); for example:

a. on this specimen, the input jack is amost directly beneath the 3-way switch, i.e the 3-way switch and the input jack align on the longitudinal plane;

b. the outer volume/tone controls/knobs (bass-side lower bout) are level with/higher up on the guitar than the 3-way switch and 1st, inside volume/tone control knob (all other models that I have observed have the outer volume/tone controls/knobs (bass-side lower bout) markedly below the 3-way switch and 1st, inside volume/tone control knob, respectively;

3. That's really all I've got - but, it's notable where the differences between the Sheraton II and Sheraton II "Deluxe" do NOT differ much otherwise (i.e. seemingly the only difference being the "Vintage Sunburst" revealing that flamed-maple top). For example, my specimen has 5-piece maple/walnut neck; 57CH(G) pick ups; Grover tuners; Mahogany center block from neck joint to bottom, etc. - with bone nut (which actualy may be a telling feature).

Do/did these features change this much from year to year (or more specifically, from 2003 - 2004)? 

I guess the easy question is... how do you identify a Sheraton II Deluxe, e.g. by label; by color/finish only? I've found them difficult to come by online (again, a lot of mis-direction to Dot vs Sheraton). Does anyone know of any Sheraton II "Deluxe" issued in Ebony? 

Anyway... sorry for belabouring my first post. I appreciate your consideration. Be well,

- larry

Epi Sheraton II EB - DELUXE Question.jpg

Epi Sheraton II EB - DELUXE Question Headstock.jpg

Epi Sheraton II EB - DELUXE Question Knob Alignment.jpg

Epi Sheraton II EB - DELUXE Question Label.jpg

• Like 1

No, it's a sheraton II, I have a 2004 VS non deluxe also built in Unsung Korea. My headstock is identical to yours. 

The deluxe was basically just the flame top, that's why it was only available in a translucent finish, look at the more recent dot deluxe, always in trans colours.

In my opinion the sheratons from this era are some of the best produced, I've been looking for a natural one from 04 for a while. 

Matt4356 thanks. I thought as much. I simply hadn’t seen an identical headstock AND knob alignment. I’d seen 2006/7 with similar knob alignment, but the headstocks were different. And vice versa..... when I find a similar headstock, the knobs weren’t aligned the same. I did find one other ‘03 Natural finish that I thought was comparable - but, having not seen a 2003/4 catalogue, I had the same question about that one. Would you mind posting a pick of your headstock and soundboard, or do you have a 2003/4 Epi catalogue page that you could share?

And I agree entirely.... these play sweetly. I love the pick-ups - exactly the sound I’d expect from Sheraton (or even some other relics). The aged binding is a nice feature. Gold hardware is still ‘Gold’ hardware. Both compliment the Ebony color to lend to the attractiveness of the guitar. Feels great!

• Thanks 1

The problem with this time period is that there was no real standardisation with regards to some of the discrepancies you have described, from year to year or factory to factory. This is why production was moved to Quingdao.

However the one thing I would be 99% sure on is that a standard and a deluxe built at the same time would have the exact same features, bar the top ply. They would not set a separate production line with such subtle differences for what was a limited run guitar.

• Thanks 1

PS: I don't know how to edit my last post. But, in recollection, I've seen/I have the 2003 AND 2004 catalogue, and the guitars pictured don't have the same headstock or knob alignment. I've also seen an identical 2004 Sheraton II which was also made in Unsung. All other examples that I've seen from other factories aren't even close with either the headstock or knob aligment. So, it could be an Unsung thing.      

2 hours ago, Matt4356 said:

The problem with this time period is that there was no real standardisation with regards to some of the discrepancies you have described, from year to year or factory to factory. This is why production was moved to Quingdao.

However the one thing I would be 99% sure on is that a standard and a deluxe built at the same time would have the exact same features, bar the top ply. They would not set a separate production line with such subtle differences for what was a limited run guitar.

Thanks, Matt.  Other than the "Deluxe" (flamed-top Sheraton II) on EpiWiki, I've not seen any other "Deluxe" to compare it to. 

Does anyone have an example of the "Deluxe" (flamed-top) that they might share a pic or two of the headstock and knob alignment? I'd be interested to know if they were limited to production at Unsung; or, if not, if/how they might also differ in these features from factory to factory.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, meanstreak said:

I have a black Sheraton II like that one, looks identical other than the fact that I'm a heretic and changed all the gold hardware to chrome/nickel!  About to order a new pickguard as well!

Is it an Unsung from 2003 or 2004?

Edited by lsquir

Just now, meanstreak said:

Not sure, is there a definitive way to tell?

If made in Korea, the 1st letter of the Serial Number:

• I = Saein
  • U = Unsung
  • S = Samick
  • P or R = Peerless
  • K = Korea
  • F = Fine
  • C = Korea

Then, the 1st 2 digits/numbers after the 1st letter will be the year. Thank you, - ls

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lsquir said:

If made in Korea, the 1st letter of the Serial Number:

• I = Saein
  • U = Unsung
  • S = Samick
  • P or R = Peerless
  • K = Korea
  • F = Fine
  • C = Korea

Then, the 1st 2 digits/numbers after the 1st letter will be the year. Thank you, - ls

Ok I'll check the Sheraton later this week when I go get it from my storage unit.  Been in there about a year now after a move and I've been too lazy to go get the stuff lol.  I also have an Epiphone Supernova that is here at home, but the serial number only says 99120302 no letters at all.  Any light to shine on that one?

Thanks #meanstreak. I appreciate you posting the pics as an example. While I have seen a few later models (2006'ish, I think) that are close to replicating BOTH headstock and volume/tone knob alignment on the subject Epiphone in the OP, you're guitar provides a good example of the differences in the headstock AND volume/tone knob alignment. They may be generally identical, but the specific features that I point to in the OP are dissimilar in your example, i.e. "Epiphone" script and placement; floral vine pattern and placement; placement of the volume/tone knobs in alignment with each other and the output jack.      

I think it is safe to conclude that this headstock AND knob alignment (together) were a product of the 2003 - 2004 production of the Sheraton II "Deluxe" in Unsung. Does anyone have an example of:

1) identical headstock AND knob alignment either a) in a factory other than Unsung; or b) in a year other than 2003 - 2004?; OR,

2) non-identical headstock AND knob alignment from Unsung in 2003 - 2004.          

Thank you,

• Like 1