Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson COA

John P

I had my 2005 Les Paul Standard into the Gibson shop in Nashville for some work and a pro setup.

While it was there already in the shop, I was offered the opportunity to have the shop draw up a new COA for me.

Since Guitar Center never gave me one when I bought it new, I jumped at the chance.

The Gibson R&R Shop crew do great work, are really friendly, and were really nice to work with!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While the guitar was back in Gibson's possession, it was inspected for authenticity and a COA was written up after paying a service charge.

It came back with the guitar in a little black booklet with Gibson on the cover.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed them about my "1942 J-45 Legend" not having one, and after sending in a copy of my receipt and a couple pictures/video, they made one for me and sent it out free of charge. In fact, they sent me the wrong one first, so now I have an extra one laying around for someone else's guitar lol

Edited by Mr.Woody
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mr.Woody said:

I emailed them about my "1942 J-45 Legend" not having one, and after sending in a copy of my receipt and a couple pictures/video, they made one for me and sent it out free of charge. In fact, they sent me the wrong one first, so now I have an extra one laying around for someone else's guitar lol

That's a surprise that they would send you one. Didn't Gibson ask you to return or destroy the wrong one?

On 4/21/2021 at 11:33 PM, Twang Gang said:

I haven't heard of a LP Standard having a COA.  In the past they were usually reserved for custom shop guitars.  Makes sense that they would want to have the guitar in their hands before issuing one.

Like a lot of things Gibson, there's inconsistency. I have two 2015 Gibsons. One has a COA and one does not. 

The COA one is Memphis built. Not only is it not custom shop, its a studio model. 

12 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

That's a surprise that they would send you one. Didn't Gibson ask you to return or destroy the wrong one?

Nope, they didn't even mention it when I told them. Seems they weren't worried at all. Just wish I could find a good use for the other COA  display part