Gibson Brands Forums

bridge question???

pete c

hello all, i have a gotw sg the custom classic. its the pic i have on my avatar. my guestion, are the screws in the bridge are facing the tail piece. i thought they where suppose to face the pickup. plus the cuts in the saddles seem wrong the high e string has a deep v cut and the low e has a shallow cut.

do i just flip the bridge around and re intonate the guitar?

Hold on there bonfire.

I don't know what bridge a Custom Classic is supposed to have. The ABR-1 screws face the pickups, and they have a little wire holding down the saddles.

If you don't have the wire, it's a Nashville and the screws face the tailpiece.

H-Bomb, or somebody with more SG knowledge will see this soon and chime in.

Best of luck.

Murph.

If the guitar tunes up and plays fine as-is and there's no apparent binding on the tail-edge, don't worry about it. The reason you see the ABR style bridges set with the screws/wire-retainer facing the neck is because the break-angle sometimes causes the strings to get precariously close to the screws with the potential binding. And in MOST cases, that's not even a real "problem", more psychosomatic in most cases.

H-Bomb

hello all' date=' i have a gotw sg the custom classic. its the pic i have on my avatar. my guestion, are the screws in the bridge are facing the tail piece. i thought they where suppose to face the pickup. plus the cuts in the saddles seem wrong the high e string has a deep v cut and the low e has a shallow cut.

do i just flip the bridge around and re intonate the guitar? [/quote']

I got my standard back recently from a set up and new saddles.Now the saddle screw slots are facing the pickup,whereas they came from the factory facing the other way.Also the top 3 saddles are now in reverse direction to the bottom 3. I have no idea if this makes any difference or not- I suspect not. Your guitar looks stunning, and as long as it sounds alright I wouldn't worry.

It doesn´t matter if they´re facing the tailpiece or the pickup. As long as everything´s working as it is. I turned the ABR on my SG because I needed a little extra room to set the intonation, which was impossible while the screws were facing the pickup. That was because the ABR is a bit thicker on the slotted side.

But psychosomatic is a nice explanation either....=;

Greetings

Kurt

the guitar plays and sounds fine. the strings don't hang up in the bridge while tuning. ive just seen the bridge set both ways, and wanted to know if there was a correct way to place it. i was never a fan of gold hardware, till i saw that sg hanging on the wall. and had to have it. thanks for all the help...

Archived