Gibson Brands Forums

I checked out a 2021 Les Paul Standard with a 60's neck.

Revelation

I went to a Guitar Center by my home and played a Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's Unburst and I wanted to share my observations. I will start off my saying I currently have a 1989 Les Paul Custom Cherry Burst that I love.

The guitar looked beautiful hanging from the wall. I took the guitar and the first thing I noticed was the weight on the back and how it felt unbalanced. It reminded me of a old design that didn't think about trying to create a balanced guitar.

The neck was similar to my Les Paul. It felt very comfortable and the action was low. A little too low for me just like my new 2021 335 which I raised slightly. I checked the guitar for defects. I looked at the binding, fret work, where the neck and body connect, the finish, overall construction including the tuning pegs, controls, and hardware. I am glad to say I did not find one issue. The frets were smooth when I bend the strings and intonation was good.

I then played the guitar clean through a Fender Twin. It sounded excellent with all pickup selections. The classic Les Paul sound and feel. The top looked good but it was not a WOW look. You have to spend more money to get a better looking top. All and all decent guitar that will sound great with a lot of different styles of music.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I went into Guitar Center with the intent on buying a LP.    Didn't matter what it was either.   I had them pull everyone off the wall and I went through them one by one.   Odd, the one the felt the best  was a LP Classic.  Much to the dismay of the sales staff,  I went back a day later and repeated the process.  :)   The Classic still felt best.     They offered to ship a new one to me, that hadn't been on display and I declined.    Also, there was some sale going on and all the Classics were 1650 (vs 1999 or whatever).     I really wanted  a Standard.  I had one a long time ago I sold.   I would pay a pretty penny to get it back.     But for whatever reason the Classic just felt right.    I could care less about the weight relief.   I would prefer a non-relieved model but thats not a deal breaker.   

13 hours ago, Nifty said:

A few weeks ago I went into Guitar Center with the intent on buying a LP.    Didn't matter what it was either.   I had them pull everyone off the wall and I went through them one by one.   Odd, the one the felt the best  was a LP Classic.  Much to the dismay of the sales staff,  I went back a day later and repeated the process.  🙂   The Classic still felt best.     They offered to ship a new one to me, that hadn't been on display and I declined.    Also, there was some sale going on and all the Classics were 1650 (vs 1999 or whatever).     I really wanted  a Standard.  I had one a long time ago I sold.   I would pay a pretty penny to get it back.     But for whatever reason the Classic just felt right.    I could care less about the weight relief.   I would prefer a non-relieved model but thats not a deal breaker.   

Yes I agree that the way to do it. Be as open minded as possible as to your pre-selection, and try everything. 

Personally I would prefer weight relief, but that's why we are all catered for right? As you say; not a deal breaker.

Congrats on the new LP Classic. May you enjoy it for many years. 

Just bought my first LP Standard in Bourbon burst I really like it! kinda wish it had the bigger frets though more meat! quality is realy good! $2350  2020 at GC.

Edited by ken374
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

PSA: Make sure you get out and see an Unburst finish in person if you think you like them.  They tend to photograph as a nicer color than they might be in person.  I even photographed one myself and the picture was much better than the real thing (my opinion, of course).

15 hours ago, Clem said:

PSA: Make sure you get out and see an Unburst finish in person if you think you like them.  They tend to photograph as a nicer color than they might be in person.  I even photographed one myself and the picture was much better than the real thing (my opinion, of course).

Funny, it's the complete opposite here!