Gibson Brands Forums

Picture thread - ones that left the stable...

Tim Plains

Let's see the ones you've let go over the years.

'07 BFG - sold it to fund my gold top. A mug only a mother could love...

'06 LP Standard - nice guitar but just didn't cut it anymore.

'07 SG Special GOTW - sold it 'cause I didn't play it.

'07 SG Standard - sold it 'cause I didn't play it.

Wish I kept both SGs.

Picture048.jpg

Desertburst104.jpg

Picture049.jpg

Picture011.jpg

My Google-Fu was weak, so no pics, but:

Audition 6 string electric (my first guitar, gifted to my sister when I left home)

Yamaha FG75 acoustic (my first acoustic. Traded it plus $50 to Bob Woods for the Hondo 12 string you see in my sig)

Hondo Strat copy (traded for the Kramer Stryker 300ST to use as back up on stage)

Kramer Stryker 300ST( sold to ex-brother in-law... now gone to who knows where)

Digital cameras hadn't been invented yet ...

No kidding!

Hmmm...

Let's see what I can dig up.

Okay' date=' here's a few of the dozens I've sold.....

Melody Maker - hated the finish, especially on the neck.

Cool guitar for the money, I was gonna hot rod it but....

[img']http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2171/2207679620_00af781036.jpg?v=0[/img]

Yamaha SBG 500 - the only guitar I ever made money on.

Makes good on the argument that Yamaha makes a better Les Paul than Gibson. Absolutely killer guitar.

2225410922_c4145f71fa.jpg?v=1201498502

Still have the SG-12 on the left, sold the 2006 SG Classic with P-90's.

Shoulda kept it. Fantastic guitar for the money and I didn't make a dime on it - broke even.

2207669912_473167d426.jpg?v=0

Heavily modded Flying V - yes it's an Epiphone with some surgery done on it.

Played VERY well with new Gibson/Duncan switchgear. Great metal guitar.

2481644477_fdea9c4d29.jpg?v=0

Chiquita by Hondo. Remember the opening scene to Back To The Future?

These things are a hoot! Oh, the stories I could tell about this thing...

DiMarzio humbucker, Schaller bridge and tuners, built like a tank.

2482445804_154c7a4500.jpg?v=1210481153

Wow, quite a few have come and gone. I do have pics of a few. Missing are: Ibanez RG220B RG350DX, SA220QM, SA260M, AX220QM, AX7221, ARC300, AFS75T, AS73, AEF18, AEL20, BTB200, SR305FM a Schecter Blackhawk, LTD SC200 and an Ovation CS257. Whew... a lot of trading in and trading for.

Sorry for the long post.

2006 MIM Strat and 2007 Highway One HSS Strat. The MIM went to fund the Melody Maker and the HW1 went towards the Les Paul BFG. The HSS Highway One was an awesome sounding guitar.

223.jpg

2005 Ibanez SZ720FM with a Duncan '59 and Invader with coil splitting and phase reversal. A hell of a guitar, but it also went towards the BFG.

sz720006.jpg

2008 Gibson Melody Maker. Pretty cool, but really just an impulse buy.

melodymaker003.jpg

1997 American Strat with Texas Specials. Sweet guitar, but I prefer the Highway One. Had for only two weeks before I sold it to fund the Flying V.

guitars003-2.jpg

2008 Martin DCX1E. Sold to pay for my Ovation.

sz.jpg

Refinished 82 Ibanez Studio ST60. Bought for $80, sold original pickups, knobs and tuners for over $250. Basically got it for free.

studio.jpg

Stripped 81 Ibanez Blazer.

l_a7de0d0f70b43b03337c78007232410e.jpg

Refinished 85 Ibanez Roadstar.

roadstar.jpg

Chiquita by Hondo. Remember the opening scene to Back To The Future?

These things are a hoot! Oh' date=' the stories I could tell about this thing...

DiMarzio humbucker, Schaller bridge and tuners, built like a tank.

[img']http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2114/2482445804_154c7a4500.jpg?v=1210481153[/img]

Yeah, I didn't know that was an actual production guitar. I figured it was supposed to be something Doc Brown made.

My old DC left because it got replaced in August '07 with my Green/Blue DC. Great guitar, it was just time for a change and I was much happier with that change.

Got rid of the Firebird in this picture because I just didn't play it much and once I got my RD, I knew it wasn't going to get played often agan. I was right.

DSC00854.jpg

*Sniff* my first ever guitar (cheap as hell fender acoustic) had a nasty fall and... Oh god... *Sniff* The truss rod died...

Will probably be stripping it and keeping the tuners. Going to keep the body for sentimental value. It was a sad day.

Yeah' date=' I didn't know that was an actual production guitar. I figured it was supposed to be something Doc Brown made.[/quote']

You haven't LIVED until you've seen a bar band do Highway To Hell by AC/DC with both guitarists on these.

One of the guitar players has a Chiquita, bought it 20 years ago.

I had never played one until his, and I was impressed!

They are NOT a gimmick, they actually work very well. The design is very logical and functional - and they ROCK!

Billy Gibbons was involved in the concept, as well as the Erlewine guy in Texas.

Anyhow, I was surfing Ebay and found mine. It was in MINT condition, the guy posted lotsa pics.

The price was right (around $300) so I snagged it. This was maybe four years ago.

The OTHER guitar player in the band loved it, decided he wanted to play it one night when I took it to a gig.

The crowd went nuts, not believing a "toy" could roar like that.

Before you know it, they hatched a scheme to use two of these during the gig and the crowd went nuts.

Well, later the other guy bought one too - banana yellow...

Anyhow, a guy in France bought mine on Ebay.

What an ordeal THAT was, I dunno if the language barrier was an issue or the guy really is that dumb.

Anyway, he loves the guitar and I got my money out of it.

Never played it, it really just sat in the case. Not worth big money, so away it went.

Over the last couple years I have owned several guitars as I keep trading looking for what suits me best. My Taylor 612C and my Gibson Advanced Jumbo are lifetime keepers but I have been having a blast trading for some pretty high level electrics and acoustics over that time. These are the ones I liked best and miss most. Funny thing is the ones I liked the best and miss the most are all electrics but in the end I ended up trading for a nice high level acoustic. I still keep my old "Phantom" Koren Strat knock off around to jam on, but found that all these electrics, while great guitars, were just not acoustic enough for me! :P

1988 Ibanez Maxxis - Almost like having a custom shop guitar. This is the one that convinced Steve Vai and Joe Satriani to endorse Ibanez guitars and create their own series.

incase.jpg

US Masters Sportster Skinny - Awesome custom built in Wisconsin double humbucker guitar. Very light and sustain forever!

PICT3260.jpg

1995 Eric Clapton Signature Strat - Possibly the nicest feeling neck next to the US Masters I have ever felt.

PICT4575.jpg

This is the only electric I currently have and it suits my electric playing perfectly!

1986 Phantom Guitar.

Phantomincase.jpg

Except for a garage sale guitar my parents bought me as a starter, I've never gotten rid of any guitars.

I did have this old amp head that I bought for around $50. It never worked right so I pulled the pre-amp tubes to see if that would help but it didn't. I gave the amp away to a kid in my old church. I never knew what amp it was, but my guess was an old fender. I recently found the pre-amp tubes I pulled out and they are vintage Mullards.

For all of you who wondered how I funded my recent Gibson "feeding frenzy"?

Well, just in the last couple of years...

2008 Slash Goldtop

sgt07.jpg

2008 Honeyburst faded Standard

lpfs_16.jpg

2004 faded SG Special

sgf01.jpg

1994 ES-135 with factory Bigsby

135_01.jpg

1994 Epiphone Les Paul Classic

epi_lpbe.jpg

1996 Silver Sparkle Epiphone Les Paul with Vibratone

lpssvt01.jpg

Taylor 312ce

taylor_01.jpg

Late '90s Fender Paisley Tele

tele_p01.jpg

Late '90s Fender Floral Tele

tele_f01.jpg

1983 Squier JV Strat

jv01.jpg

1950's Bronson "Singing Electric" lapsteel

bronson_01.jpg

I'm sure there are a couple I've forgotten or just didn't have pictures of.

Digital cameras hadn't been invented yet ...

My first guitar was a Westbury, two pickups, wrap around bridge, set neck, double cutaway. I would love to have it back, but my biggest mistake was letting go a '80 Hamer Sunburst. I stopped playing for a while and sold it.

Archived