Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone want to guess a price on the new Noel Gallagher J-150?

meanstreak

3 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

- loads of great advice - 

Haven't verified it as yet. I trust the fella doing the checks after shelling out 4k+ on a guitar 😄 

Thanks for the advice though, just wanted to ask around to see if it's normal and something I should try and get used to.

I have no problem adjusting relief/action etc. on my other Epis/Fenders but I'm a little hesistant of doing so on the J-150. I'll give it a few weeks and then think about taking it to a tech.

9 minutes ago, CodenameMAT said:

Haven't verified it as yet. I trust the fella doing the checks after shelling out 4k+ on a guitar 😄 

Thanks for the advice though, just wanted to ask around to see if it's normal and something I should try and get used to.

I have no problem adjusting relief/action etc. on my other Epis/Fenders but I'm a little hesistant of doing so on the J-150. I'll give it a few weeks and then think about taking it to a tech.

It's not a matter or trusting the person doing it. I'm sure they did. After bouncing around trucks, twice, in this weather and then landing in your home, it's bound to be a bit different.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CodenameMAT said:

Is it normal for the Gibson Acoustics to come with a relatively high action from the factory?

and . . . 

Second question, the serial number stamp and 'Made in the USA' on the back of the headstock are *very* lightly stamped. Barely visibile. Is that also normal?

From what I hear, yes (though I really don't care terribly much unless I'm trying to harden or soften the sound of the guitar, . . .

. . . like sculpture, it is easier to remove more, than to add more.

and yes,

the headstock stamping is lightly stamped to begin with, then becomes filled in a bit more when finish is applied.

And lastly, it is hard to believe that this thread has gone to 10 pages.

Edited by 62burst
  • Like 1

NGD!!!! - Finally got my J-150 today, OMG, so fantastic and so glad I opted for this over a SJ-200 standard this thing seems pretty unique spec wise.  There was a lot of ups and downs of if/when I would get this thing and I am very impatient and anxious person, so this was tough for me 🙂 lol

First thing I noticed is how much lighter this guitar is compared to the SJ-200 I had for a short period of time.  I was shocked how heavy the SJ-200 was when I first got it, so I was prepared for this (I'm a big dude, so I'm not complaining, just shocked), but then I was shocked again in how light this J-150 is.  Is it just the lack of binding and the ultra thin finish? 

Which takes me to the finish...it is astonishing.  I love matte things over gloss things typically and the SJ-200 was very glossy when you held it in your hand (didn't look like it in pics, IMO).   This J-150 has an awesome finish - you can see the wood grain when you shine light on an angle similar to my Martin D-18.  My D-18 is light but still much more glossy compared to this.  

I definitely need to break this thing in - it sounds pretty chime'y thus far, which fretting with some pressure removes most of it, so am sure it will fill out as the strings loosen up.  My over/under is 25 Wonderwall's and 37 Don't Look Back in Anger's...about half way there 🙂 lol

Finally, this pickguard is a work of art in itself.  I don't remember giving my thought to the SJ-200 PG on the Standard, honestly seemed cheap like the one on my Epiphone EJ-200SCE.  This one you can feel the raised paint, it almost makes me want to be careful when I play.  This was a nice surprise over the SJ-200 I had.  Was this something I just didn't notice on the SJ-200 or unique to Custom Shop/Sig models?

So a couple of questions for more experienced in this type of stuff.  

1) How do I clean this thing - normally I would use microfiber and just spritz the clothe and wipe down with some slight aggression but given how thin this finish is and that its matte, I would love some advice here. 

2) The strings/neck is pretty 'tacky' - not sticky like there is a substance, but my fingers don't glide as well on it - I assume some of this is the more matte and thin finish and some new guitar - just making sure nothing is wrong on my specific guitar.   I've never bought an acoustic this new - I was definitely one first person to open since being sealed from Gibson and this thing went on a US tour to get to me (another story for another time!).

3) There seems to be a little 'pimple/scab' baked into the finish, it is taking every ounce of my might to not pick it off, if this does fall off does it leave a gap in protection for the top?

Again, very glad I went for this over the NOS (demo) SJ-200 with a discount I had, which led me to GC helping me get this one (for those who followed that thread).  I do hope others that want this guitar, whether for Noel/Oasis or the guitar specs, can get their hands on it!

Edited by golfski
terrible grammar (though still bad!)
  • Like 1

Congratulations on your NGD. Play it often!

The break in periods are a good thing, IMHO. It's another level of enjoyment.

I've got one Artist Series Gibson, a Love Dove. It has quite a nice pick guard as well. If having a nice, but not too wild pick guard on these Artist Series guitars is a policy thing, I hope they continue.

I know, I know - seen one, seen them all. Still, photos are a almost obligatory. 🙂

(Edit: I don't mean the photos thing in a snarky, demanding way. Only in a friendly, encouraging fun if you have the time sort of thing. )

Edited by BoSoxBiker
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, golfski said:

NGD!!!! - Finally got my J-150 today, OMG, so fantastic and so glad I opted for this over a SJ-200 standard this thing seems pretty unique spec wise.  There was a lot of ups and downs of if/when I would get this thing and I am very impatient and anxious person, so this was tough for me 🙂 lol

First thing I noticed is how much lighter this guitar is compared to the SJ-200 I had for a short period of time.  I was shocked how heavy the SJ-200 was when I first got it, so I was prepared for this (I'm a big dude, so I'm not complaining, just shocked), but then I was shocked again in how light this J-150 is.  Is it just the lack of binding and the ultra thin finish? 

Which takes me to the finish...it is astonishing.  I love matte things over gloss things typically and the SJ-200 was very glossy when you held it in your hand (didn't look like it in pics, IMO).   This J-150 has an awesome finish - you can see the wood grain when you shine light on an angle similar to my Martin D-18.  My D-18 is light but still much more glossy compared to this.  

I definitely need to break this thing in - it sounds pretty chime'y thus far, which fretting with some pressure removes most of it, so am sure it will fill out as the strings loosen up.  My over/under is 25 Wonderwall's and 37 Don't Look Back in Anger's...about half way there 🙂 lol

Finally, this pickguard is a work of art in itself.  I don't remember giving my thought to the SJ-200 PG on the Standard, honestly seemed cheap like the one on my Epiphone EJ-200SCE.  This one you can feel the raised paint, it almost makes me want to be careful when I play.  This was a nice surprise over the SJ-200 I had.  Was this something I just didn't notice on the SJ-200 or unique to Custom Shop/Sig models?

So a couple of questions for more experienced in this type of stuff.  

1) How do I clean this thing - normally I would use microfiber and just spritz the clothe and wipe down with some slight aggression but given how thin this finish is and that its matte, I would love some advice here. 

2) The strings/neck is pretty 'tacky' - not sticky like there is a substance, but my fingers don't glide as well on it - I assume some of this is the more matte and thin finish and some new guitar - just making sure nothing is wrong on my specific guitar.   I've never bought an acoustic this new - I was definitely one first person to open since being sealed from Gibson and this thing went on a US tour to get to me (another story for another time!).

3) There seems to be a little 'pimple/scab' baked into the finish, it is taking every ounce of my might to not pick it off, if this does fall off does it leave a gap in protection for the top?

Again, very glad I went for this over the NOS (demo) SJ-200 with a discount I had, which led me to GC helping me get this one (for those who followed that thread).  I do hope others that want this guitar, whether for Noel/Oasis or the guitar specs, can get their hands on it!

Ya mine is like that in the neck too.  I imagine it will smooth out after playing a while. I figure I’ll keep strings nice and clean and that should help too.   

My old Epiphone Masterbilts with a similar matte finish did the same thing at first and all are nice and smooth now.  Congrats on the NG!

Edited by meanstreak

9 hours ago, CodenameMAT said:

Congrats! Just out of interest, in a previous post you were disappointed by the J-150 nut width compared to the SJ-200 you had. Have you noticed any difference? 

Honestly I haven’t noticed it being too cramped, which is what I worried about.  My Epi EJ200SCE is definitely thinner width and depth.  I have a 50s LP and a Noneck Strat, which are both broad and deep, but I’d say this feels pretty close to my D-18.  I definitely like no neck binding, I like binding on my LP but not acoustic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CodenameMAT said:

Hang on. That’s the same guy as the reverb listing you posted. Exactly the same pictures. 

Yeah your right I didn't notice. Interesting that the most expensive one has the most watchers and most offers. 

16 hours ago, golfski said:

Honestly I haven’t noticed it being too cramped, which is what I worried about.  My Epi EJ200SCE is definitely thinner width and depth.  I have a 50s LP and a Noneck Strat, which are both broad and deep, but I’d say this feels pretty close to my D-18.  I definitely like no neck binding, I like binding on my LP but not acoustic.

Ya I was a bit worried about the nut width as well.  J-150 has 1.69” and J-200 1.73” but I haven’t found it to be that much different in feel.  I picked up an Epi IBG Hummingbird a few weeks ago and it has the same 1.69” so already been playing with that.

1 hour ago, Jalex said:

Yeah your right I didn't notice. Interesting that the most expensive one has the most watchers and most offers. 

Interestingly the description says 

Limited to just 200 built in the entire world, only 100 in the entire USA and just 12 sent to the UK!”

there’s a good chance the seller has seen this very thread. So if he sees this…Hi Scalper! 😂

• Like 1

the one that was at $8500 dropped to $7k pretty quickly. I have to hope that some of these guys that thought they could double their money are quickly realizing that the majority of people that wanted them (myself included) suffered from the sticker shock of the msrp, so the market of people willing to go well over that is a real longshot.

• Like 1

There's now one for less than $7k on Reverb, it's a race to the bottom. I'd guess that bottom is no more than a grand over MSRP by the time all orders are shipped. It's a buyer's market and Reverb is flooded with inventory considering 2% of total production is currently listed there and collecting dust. Patience will reward those still waiting, even if the price isn't quite MSRP.

I think Gibson knew what it was doing and had an idea of what demand would be going into this. I do wonder if Gibson will want to do more NG artist series guitars in the future including some U.S.-made Epiphones. Clearly, there is more money to be made off Noel now that most of us Oasis fans are older and have real jobs, but the market for a single acoustic guitar model is probably slim.

My order from Gibson Garage reached me several days ago. It arrived in great shape and ready to play right out of the box (complimentary two-day air shipping was included, so it wasn't banging around trucks for a week or two). Two digits were reversed on my COA, an obvious typo, but Gibson has been very responsive and already has a new one in the mail to me.

Photo below is next to my original blonde 2001 J-150, which is arguably a more authentic version being from the same production run as the J-150s Noel actually plays. Cheaper too... I paid $1,700 for mine two years ago. They seem to be trending at around $3k on Reverb, currently.

Differences between the two include slightly broader scallops (maybe an extra half inch of scalloped area on the longer braces, or so it appears to my eye) and wider nut on the original (1.71 original vs 1.69 NG, measured with my calipers). The finish is also thicker on the original. Any differences in sound are very slight and possibly come down to Gibson strings on the NG and D'Addario EJ16 (same gauge) on the blonde guitar. The new NG seems perhaps slightly more defined and punchy, but it's really a toss-up. Interesting to note that 20 years of aging on the blonde guitar hasn't resulted in a far superior sound. Perhaps some of that is down to its thicker finish vs the thin-coat nitro on the NG. 

IMG_0695.jpg

Edited by RJ80
  • Like 2

I have been really enjoying playing this J-150, it is definitely loosening up a bit and once the strings get loose I think it will really sing and be a dream to play.

I was curious if others noticed the fretboard edges to be 'sharp'?  There is no binding but it seems that the angle of the wood is pretty sharp on the edge of the fretboard, I've noticed my thumb just feeling scrapped and sore after playing.  Not a show stopper and assume it will 'round out' with play.

• Like 1

Are you sure it's not the fret edges you're feeling? Are they protruding past the wood? If so, the guitar may be a little dry or the fret edges may need some filing. 

Anyway, no such issues on mine... it's extremely well finished and comfortable to play. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RJ80 said:

Are you sure it's not the fret edges you're feeling? Are they protruding past the wood? If so, the guitar may be a little dry or the fret edges may need some filing. 

Anyway, no such issues on mine... it's extremely well finished and comfortable to play. 

Yeah I have gone back and forth if its the edges of the frets or the fretboard.  At first I thought it was the first fret, it does seem like maybe it is protruding a teeny bit - but after feeling more, its just a pretty unrounded bass side of the fret board.  It seems slightly less rounded than the treble side.  

Anyways - was just something that I noticed - I figured its new, unplayed and no binding, so will smooth out over time.  Its not leaving a cut or anything.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 11:46 AM, golfski said:

I have been really enjoying playing this J-150, it is definitely loosening up a bit and once the strings get loose I think it will really sing and be a dream to play.

I was curious if others noticed the fretboard edges to be 'sharp'?  There is no binding but it seems that the angle of the wood is pretty sharp on the edge of the fretboard, I've noticed my thumb just feeling scrapped and sore after playing.  Not a show stopper and assume it will 'round out' with play.

Not one bit of that for me!  Mine has to be one of the most impressive sounding and feeling guitars I've ever played.  Been really happy with it! 

On 7/7/2021 at 12:34 PM, cunningham26 said:

wonderful review rs80 thanks for the side by side comparison with the original! glad you're liking yours- I'll probably keep my eyes peeled for a blonde once the market cools off a bit

Ya being that Noel is using a natural one now too it may as well be considered a NG J-150 too!